Forum > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

Kenmore coldspot 10657267792 assistance please

(1/2) > >>

Deldolfan:
Have a client with a Kenmore Coldspot model 10657267792 serial number SJ2144853.  Fridge side stopped freezing.  Client vacuumed out "tons" of dust and animal hair from underside coils but to no avail.  I stopped by and looked at things.  Clicking sound coming from the relay on the compressor but not sure if it is an over load or starter relay clicking.  Pulled relay assembly off and saw no apparent issues so reinstalled.  Unit started working as I saw frost on the freezer coils forming.  Assumed it was just a loose connection but got a call this morning unit is just clicking again.  Do I need a starter relay?  A starter relay and overload kit? or is the compressor going and I just got lucky for a day?  Also looking at parts online, most show a three wire hook up while this unit only has two (red and white).  Thanks for your help!

AJ:
Hi

Check the amps on the compressor when it's running. Also check to make sure the compressor is not grounding.
If the compressor checks ok then I would replace the start relay.

--- Quote ---Do I need a starter relay?  A starter relay and overload kit? or is the compressor going and I just got lucky for a day?  Also looking at parts online, most show a three wire hook up while this unit only has two (red and white).

--- End quote ---

I looked up your model number and it uses start relay overload kit part # 4387535

I'm thinking the two wires you seen (red & white) are the line voltage going to the start relay and overload and the compressor has three terminals like they normally do.

Hope that helps.

Deldolfan:
Thanks for the quick reply AJ.  I assume the amps are located on the compressor label.  I use repair clinic and have had great results from easyapplianceparts as well.  The relay alone is 2262185.  So if compressor checks out get just the realy or the whole relay kit?  Thanks again for your help!

Deldolfan:
If I can't get my amp meter from one of my guys who borrowed it, is there a way to just check resistance?

AJ:

--- Quote ---I assume the amps are located on the compressor label.
--- End quote ---

Also check the model/serial number tag.

--- Quote ---I use repair clinic...
--- End quote ---

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=4745.0

--- Quote ---So if compressor checks out get just the realy or the whole relay kit?
--- End quote ---

I always use the relay kit. I hate call backs. ;)

--- Quote ---If I can't get my amp meter from one of my guys who borrowed it, is there a way to just check resistance?
--- End quote ---

You can ohm out the run and start windings, but it won't tell you if the compressor is drawing high amps and the overload is just doing it's job and kicking out like it should.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version