Author Topic: what do you tell them?  (Read 116 times)

Offline brothermal

• Technician
what do you tell them?
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:22:04 AM »
Being new to the business there are times when I can't fix the appliance right then and there. I am sure this has happened to some of you in the past. When this happens  what do you tell your clients?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: what do you tell them?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »
I moved your topic to 'Let's Talk Service' as it seemed a more appropriate place for this type of discussion.

Being new to the business there are times when I can't fix the appliance right then and there. I am sure this has happened to some of you in the past. When this happens  what do you tell your clients?

Can't go wrong with telling them the truth. If you need to do some research on the problem and stop back later to look at it again just tell them that. As time goes on and you get more experience you will have less trouble diagnosing problems.

If you can carry a laptop, tablet or smart phone with you a lot of research can be done online well your working on the appliance.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:56:18 AM »
Just remembered, years ago if I could not figure out the problem on the spot I would tell the customer that I would have to see if I could find a service manual for there appliance and stop back. Even if there was no service manual to be found it bought me some time to do a little research.

That was before I had internet access 24/7.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »
... if I could not figure out the problem on the spot I would tell the customer that I would have to see if I could find a service manual for there appliance and stop back. Even if there was no service manual to be found it bought me some time to do a little research.

That was before I had internet access 24/7.

That was a staple for me when I was starting.  I was really flying by the seat of my pants back then.  Sometimes, I'd have to use that excuse just so I could figure out how to get the darn thing open!!   :rofl:

Thank God for the internet!

Other than that, I tell 'em I have to get the part, or, if I'm not positive which part, I tell them what I think, then we typically start out with the cheapest fix. 

I know it is pretty rash to start your repair business w/out much experience, but it gets you experience quick!  I have had to eat some parts, and many hours, but I have not yet had a complaint from any of my customers. O0

Just reading these forums in your spare time gets you "experience." 

In my area, I'm the only guy, so even if they'd call Sears, I'd still be back with them, receive the ordered part, and get it fixed, before they might get the appointment otherwise.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »
I tell them I'm not had the pleasure of doing this particular model, but give me a day or two to do some research & I will have an answer & be back to attack the problem again.   I also wave my charge until I have an answer.  This site is one of my main research libraries.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
It takes 20 years to have 20 years of experience.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 11:37:21 PM »
Seen some 20 years experiance that don't know there heads from their arse's,  or there lying.  Seen some of that too.  Especially on Craigs.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:30:51 AM »
You can do the research or you can make friends by phone who have a lot more years of experience who will help you.  I have a few techs that I would call on if it's something I'm not sure about.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
It takes 20 years to have 20 years of experience.

That's why we go to college for four years!

I agree that there is nothing like experience.  But then there is the real world.  In the Military, they call it "minimum qualifications."  I don't know what they call a minimally qualified brain surgeon.  The only way to get experience is to start.  If you can load up on other's experience, then you are half way there.  I doesn't take too much trial and error to learn from other's mistakes, or to pick up a tip or two.

I'm on this board, and elsewhere, specifically so I don't have to get 20 years before I can do this for myself. 

So far, thanks to people like you, it has been working out well.

:thanks: :cheers: :thanks: