Author Topic: how do you guys make money?  (Read 2922 times)

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
Re: how do you guys make money?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »
Appliances seem to mirror the auto repair business.   Certainly for autos, there are is no more "shade tree mechanic" work on any car newer than 10 or 15 years.   You have to be able to work on the computer/sensor/digital stuff.   More and more of that is moving back to dealerships, because of the specialized training required.\

I see two camps for appliance repair.    Tons of entry level/apartment grade appliances....DW $200, electric range $350, WM $400.     If you get it through the one year warranty, most folks WILL think twice about spending half the cost or more for repair.     But then you have the $1100 WM, $1250 range, $1800 refrig.    Folks will opt to repair these, but the tech needs a lot more skill and training.

Offline donsabol

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 04:41:04 PM »
I been doing service  for 25  years this industry  has changed soo  much since i started.  Remember  when  the service call  was19.95  now we charge 85.00... the technology  has changed people now spend 2000.00  on a refrigerator  you think their gonna shit can it for 300.00    i  think not.  If you  can fix it  and save em the trouble  of shopping  for a new one.  Just provide professional  services..  be  honest.  Dont b.s.  take care of business and the business will take care of you...

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 04:04:44 AM »
     I think that you guys giveth up too soon.    I've been in the repair business for almost 40 years.   It's all I've ever done.    Right now,  I'm so busy I could probably afford to hire 2 guys if I could find them.   You have to market yourself, be honest and don't lie to customers and give them your best.  Rewards will come to you.   I keep up with everything.    I fix belt drive whirlpool washers as well as Cabrio's, VMW's,  all front loaders.   When I came into business,  we had the Frigidare roller washer with the pump action agitator.   That was as tough to work on as anything they can come up with now.   Old Norge washers,  etc.  The Speed Queen fluid drive washers.    I went through all of the new appliances and whenever a new things comes along,  you go through a learning curve and then you can fix it.   Point is, keep learning,  it keeps you young.     Keep the customer happy,  and you will get good word of mouth and plenty of service calls.   

And most of all,  Sell the job guys.    When a customer is wavering over whether to fix or buy new,   give them the proper advise.   I  work on a lot of old stoves,  washers, dryers, etc.    Sell them on the fact the older appliances are BETTER than the new Hi efficiency machines.     Which is true.    Advise them that while a new washer, dryer, stove,  whatever has more electronics and while it may save them penny's when they run them,  it will cost them much more to fix.  And they break down far more often.   

I had a woman call me on a 2 belt maytag washer, was going to throw it out.   I convinced her it was better to fix and put in the stem/seal kit and bearings than buy new.     She fixed it.   Had I just stood there and said nothing,  she would have junked it.   I SOLD THE JOB>   Plus she would have to pay to deliver,  remove,  and shop for new one.    SELL IT.   Don't be shy.   

It could be my area,   but most of my customers want me to fix,  buying new or used isn't their first thought.    I put in alot of ERC's,  dishwasher motors,  washer motors,  etc.    I am loaded with work,  so it is possible.   Don't give up,  keep a positive attitude.    Even if a customer wants to buy new,  get a service call.     If your not making something on your service call or are losing money,  then your not charging enough.    Don't give up.   And don't listen to bullshit articles that this service industry is dying,  as far as I'm concerned it's far from it.     

Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »
        You have to market yourself, be honest and don't lie to customers and give them your best.  Rewards will come to you.

I agree.  There are plenty of customers willing to pay for good, honest, reliable service.
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 02:30:44 AM »
A little update to this topic - I have become a advocate for older machines.    This is what some of you guys have to do.   I convince them to keep their older washers, dryers, refrigerators, ovens.    Had a lady this week,  was going to get new one.    Convinced her to spend 330 rebuilding old maytag with orbital tranny and give it a seal/bearing/belt job.     Convinced another lady today to spend the money to rebuild her Direct Drive (tranny,  coupling,  and dogs).    Talked 1 into a bake and broil ignitor on an oven instead of buying new one.     -   

One word -  SELL    Another word - TRUST - meaning that once your customers trust you,  you can sell them on repairing the old appliances.   I encourage them to check the internet and see what people are saying about the new equipment.   That usually sells them by itself.     I always tell customers the truth,  I never mis-lead them.   If something is rotted,  too expensive or just too old with NLA parts,  I tell them to replace.   Microwaves - replace (except for something really simple).    Ringer washers - repair if possible (kidding).    You get my drift.   

This is how you make money.   Earl,  another thing.   I'm getting old,  but for some reason I don't mind learning new things.      If I get a manual,  with all of the experiences I've had for 40 years,   I can figure anything out.    New machines are not intimidating.   Just something different to figure out.   This Websight that AJ runs is simply in a word - FANTASTIC!     For example,   I've got a pretty good handle on the cabrio's,  the VMW's,   most of the front loaders (except Bosch.   I don't mess with them except for a blocked drain problem. ).   If anything,   people are likely to spend money on a repair if they spent 1200 on machine.    You can make money,  believe me.   For the occasional person who choses new over a repair,   let them.   I have courted the Middle to upscale customers,   and they always want to repair if they can.    I'm making good money.   Don't let the few cheapo's get you down.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 04:35:01 AM »
Ok, if you can repair something but what if the next part decides to crap out and that part is NLA? 

I have been in that kind of situation.  Look at Thermador.  Their control boards are NLA after 4 years.  Small jobs like ignitors or switches or couplers can be done and I wouldn't back away from them.  When it comes to control boards, transmission jobs and anything major where it reaches that halfway point to replacement, I get on the computer and check to see if there is any other major parts that can go bad and are not NLA.  The new technology is out there and they're ramming it down our throats.  Gotta stay up to date on the new stuff. 
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »
As an appliance OWNER, not a tech, I see the same issue as the auto industry....self-taught shade tree mechanics are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.   Cars are too techy, and a good portion of the appliance industry, as well.   I would not consider taking my car to a garage that as a minimum does not have ALL their mechanics ASE certified.   I am actually taking both Mazdas strictly to the dealer for routine maintenance.

In appliance world, there is still that low end segment of units with mechanical controls, non-digital timers, etc  etc.   But even THEY have SOME electronics.   And I suspect the majority of that market is sold to appartments, who try to have their jack-of-all-trade do the maintenance.

SO the service world will evolve, but there will be a demand for trained techs.   The new appliances , based on observations here at the forum, have NOT proved to be any more reliable than older ones, just more complicated and expensive to repair.   SO, a homeowner will be faced with a dilemma.....send a lot to repair an unit he paid $1000 ++ for, or simply dump the high end unit and buy a $299 HD special replacement

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 09:00:21 AM »
That's why the average consumer will want to check on references such as Yelp and Angie's List for the good repair people.  If you have a good review, you will get more calls.  So keep yourself up to date as much as possible.  Seek help from other technicians, even your competitors.  The old saying still goes..."scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 05:08:23 PM »
Can you review yourself on Angie's List?

Last compliment I got was "who else we gonna find who don't stink & can talk in complete sentences?"

I'm just waiting for the money to start flowing in!

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 08:06:57 PM »
Don't know.  Go to your friends computer and review yourself there.

Make some money - Allow users to reward you for your posts.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 5481
Last post February 08, 2011, 04:01:02 PM
by JWWebster
Make money online at ApplianceJunk.com

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2455
Last post December 08, 2007, 10:39:20 AM
by AJ
How long before Whirlpool ask for bailout money?

Started by apptech

Replies: 0
Views: 1048
Last post February 19, 2009, 09:47:43 PM
by apptech
Money Matters: Energy Star Rebate Program Update

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 984
Last post October 30, 2009, 10:17:25 PM
by JWWebster
Will he make it..........