Author Topic: how do you guys make money?  (Read 3980 times)

Offline brothermal

• Technician
how do you guys make money?
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »
I am still new to appliance repair. The calls have been few and far between however I got a call today on a gas stove (Whirlpool SF3000ww1)
I found the gas safety valve to be defective. The supply house found one  in another state which means adding S&H. I  qoute them retail 91.00 plus my time and S&H WHich comes to about $175.00. Then I was told that they could buy a used one cheaper.

This is the third time this has happened to me what am I diong wrong? how do guys make money?

Offline twayneb

• Technician
Re: how do you guys make money?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:32:23 PM »
bro not that it would mean you would be making money, but you are collecting service call ? even if they opt not to repair. just want to make sure i understand your post.

Offline brothermal

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »
I did collect a servie call but still that just coners your gas

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »
Charge a higher service call rate, you should make at least a little profit if they decide not to repair.  Sell harder, $175 is not a bad price.  You're not just selling the repair, you're also selling convenience.  If they buy the used stove, they'll have to either haul it themselves or pay someone to do it.  Can they hook up the gas and not have it leak? And then, they will have to figure out what to do with their old stove.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 09:57:54 PM »
How many of you do a flat rate instead of service call and labor? Appliance Blue book stuff is looking better every day.

Offline brothermal

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:39:06 AM »
Where can I find this Blue Book? how can I determine the price of a service call?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 11:03:36 PM »
Making a living in appliance repair is getting more difficult everyday. There was a news story on msnbc yesterday about 5 thriving and 5 dying industries. Guess which industry was at the top of the list for not thriving. I can certainly understand why, it is almost cheaper to buy a new piece of junk, than is to have the better old one repaired. Look at the age of most of the techs on this board, most of us are in our 50's & 60's and if the young guys can't start out at $60-$70k they ain't workin. :rofl: . Don't know about the rest of you guys but, I'm tired. I don't really want to go to anymore schools to start all over again with the new concepts. Parts & shipping are out of sight, can't afford to order just one part at a time, shipping is sometimes more than the cost of the part. Maybe it's time to retire, again!

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 12:03:35 AM »
<<<http://www.ibisworld.com/industry/default.aspx?indid=1710>>>

Been there/survived that before---remember the late 70s?

Double digit interest rates---on mortgages

Double digit unemployment

Double digit "Misery Index" (why isn't this used today?)

The IBIS report *does* make a prediction that once the economy begins to improve (and it will eventually)---there will be an uptick in new appliance purchases---and a decline in service.
Three to five years after this---a surge in repairs will be seen---to repair these "new" appliances.
The trending towards more up-scale and digital-technology is forecast to remain unchanged.
(Younger consumers do not want el-cheapo appliances).

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »
<<<Don't know about the rest of you guys but, I'm tired. I don't really want to go to anymore schools to start all over again with the new concepts.>>>

So which is more funny?...

Young guys that want the best salary possible.

Or the old guys that don't want to learn new technology and cannot understand why their business is suffering.

If techs (in any age bracket) do not adapt to the new technology---they will disappear while those that apply themselves will prosper. It's that simple.

This very *forum* on the internet is an example of adapting to new technology is it not?

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 01:37:12 AM »
<<<how do guys make money?>>>

I agree with other members---the "Blue Book" is the way to go. Force yourself to *adopt* it and *use* it.

Keep expanding your knowledge--- unrelentingly.

Don't fret over a few customers that express "shock"at repair estimates.
Most customers will gladly pay a premium for services performed fast and consistently.
Your personal conduct/behavior/professionalism must be at it's very best as well---don't dress/talk/act like a "JoeSixPack"/8th grade drop-out (even if you are those things).

Learn from the REAL pros (I did).
There are 2 distinct groups of techs on most appliance repair forums---and they're best described like this...

Example One:
This tech gets in his/her 2002 Acura TSX and turns on the IPod 5th generation wireless sterio---and drives to the grocery store on a Saturday morning.
Returns home and pours a glass of V8 Splash Tropical drink.
Checks the computer & cellphone for email and text messages.
After that---sits down on the couch and turns on the TV to play Halo 3 for a few hours.

Example Two:
This tech gets in his/her 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and slips in an 8 Track Cassette for tunes while driving to the grocery store on a Saturday afternoon.
Returns home and pours a glass of Perrier Sparkling Mineral Water.
Checks the mailbox for USPS mail and uses post-its on the refrigerator door to leave messages.
After that---sits down on the couch and turns on the TV to play PacMan for a few hours.

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 07:12:33 AM »
Good comments, John.  Like I said, I don't WANT to do the school stuff anymore, so if I get left behind, it is because it was my choice and that leaves more for the rest of you.
P.S. When I get back from the store, in my '84 Olds, I kick back with that 30 pack I just got and watch football (in B&W) :rofl:

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »
<<<Good comments, John.>>>

Thank you

<<<Like I said, I don't WANT to do the school stuff anymore, so if I get left behind, it is because it was my choice and that leaves more for the rest of you.
P.S. When I get back from the store, in my '84 Olds, I kick back with that 30 pack I just got and watch football (in B&W)>>> 

That reminds me of Charlie Sheen for some reason :)

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 02:48:26 PM »
I am still new to appliance repair. The calls have been few and far between however I got a call today on a gas stove (Whirlpool SF3000ww1)
I found the gas safety valve to be defective. The supply house found one  in another state which means adding S&H. I  qoute them retail 91.00 plus my time and S&H WHich comes to about $175.00. Then I was told that they could buy a used one cheaper.

This is the third time this has happened to me what am I diong wrong? how do guys make money?

That's when I say good, you owe me $69.00, and I'm haulin ass to my next jobs. It all comes to lining up the calls. You sound confident so I think you'll do good with the right advertising. Good luck. O0

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
Making a living in appliance repair is getting more difficult everyday. There was a news story on msnbc yesterday about 5 thriving and 5 dying industries. Guess which industry was at the top of the list for not thriving. I can certainly understand why, it is almost cheaper to buy a new piece of junk, than is to have the better old one repaired. Look at the age of most of the techs on this board, most of us are in our 50's & 60's and if the young guys can't start out at $60-$70k they ain't workin. :rofl: . Don't know about the rest of you guys but, I'm tired. I don't really want to go to anymore schools to start all over again with the new concepts. Parts & shipping are out of sight, can't afford to order just one part at a time, shipping is sometimes more than the cost of the part. Maybe it's time to retire, again!

Ain't that the truth bro!

Make some money - Allow users to reward you for your posts.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 5977
Last post February 08, 2011, 04:01:02 PM
by JWWebster
Make money online at ApplianceJunk.com

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3106
Last post December 08, 2007, 10:39:20 AM
by AJ
How long before Whirlpool ask for bailout money?

Started by apptech

Replies: 0
Views: 1249
Last post February 19, 2009, 09:47:43 PM
by apptech
Money Matters: Energy Star Rebate Program Update

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 1157
Last post October 30, 2009, 10:17:25 PM
by JWWebster
Will he make it..........