Forum > Chit Chat

how do you guys make money?

<< < (2/5) > >>

brothermal:
Where can I find this Blue Book? how can I determine the price of a service call?

AJ:
http://www.appliancebluebook.com/preprinted-blue-book.html

Earl Dryer:
Making a living in appliance repair is getting more difficult everyday. There was a news story on msnbc yesterday about 5 thriving and 5 dying industries. Guess which industry was at the top of the list for not thriving. I can certainly understand why, it is almost cheaper to buy a new piece of junk, than is to have the better old one repaired. Look at the age of most of the techs on this board, most of us are in our 50's & 60's and if the young guys can't start out at $60-$70k they ain't workin. :rofl: . Don't know about the rest of you guys but, I'm tired. I don't really want to go to anymore schools to start all over again with the new concepts. Parts & shipping are out of sight, can't afford to order just one part at a time, shipping is sometimes more than the cost of the part. Maybe it's time to retire, again!

john63:
<<<http://www.ibisworld.com/industry/default.aspx?indid=1710>>>

Been there/survived that before---remember the late 70s?

Double digit interest rates---on mortgages

Double digit unemployment

Double digit "Misery Index" (why isn't this used today?)

The IBIS report *does* make a prediction that once the economy begins to improve (and it will eventually)---there will be an uptick in new appliance purchases---and a decline in service.
Three to five years after this---a surge in repairs will be seen---to repair these "new" appliances.
The trending towards more up-scale and digital-technology is forecast to remain unchanged.
(Younger consumers do not want el-cheapo appliances).

john63:
<<<Don't know about the rest of you guys but, I'm tired. I don't really want to go to anymore schools to start all over again with the new concepts.>>>

So which is more funny?...

Young guys that want the best salary possible.

Or the old guys that don't want to learn new technology and cannot understand why their business is suffering.

If techs (in any age bracket) do not adapt to the new technology---they will disappear while those that apply themselves will prosper. It's that simple.

This very *forum* on the internet is an example of adapting to new technology is it not?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version