Author Topic: ice on floor of freezer MFI2569YEB0  (Read 2936 times)

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: ice on floor of freezer MFI2569YEB0
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 05:25:59 PM »
He told the wife that the ice would disappear with the defrost working normally and being able to drain and left. It will be interesting to see how long this one holds up before it starts causing the same problem.
If he did not remove the ice on the FLOOR of the freezer, I personally do not see the defrost clearing that up.... ???

We will see, if it doesn't I will be giving them a call.
If the ice is as thick as stated, getting under a corner with a plastic scraper should lift out the whole sheet of ice :D

Online RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 05:43:26 PM »
 .The correct fix is to take the fridge apart and melt the ice .The drain trough under the evaporator has at least 1/4 of an inch of ice so no way is it going away on its own any time soon .I do lots of these .The issue is that whirlpool doesn't pay alot so if he spends over an hour he's losing money .I look at it a bit differently ,sometimes I can knock off a warranty call quickly and make decent money and sometimes it takes awhile .You win some and you lose some .If I was you I would either call the tech back to finish the job or unplug your fridge ,find a home for your food and open the doors for 24 hours .

Offline canatech

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
must remove ice from drain area under evaporator.. replacing the duckbill with a new drain tube that has builtin trap .. think part number is 61006123 if lm not mistaken.. clear ice.. replace duckbill.. no more problems..  good luck

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »
must remove ice from drain area under evaporator.. replacing the duckbill with a new drain tube that has builtin trap .. think part number is 61006123 if lm not mistaken.. clear ice.. replace duckbill.. no more problems..  good luck

They sure didn't replace it with anything that looked like that. They replaced it with another duckbill. I would have thought that if Maytag was doing this under warranty that they would use the most current recommended part. do you have some kind of a tech bulletin or anything that shows this as an update?

Online RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 05:28:06 PM »
I do tons of these ,am a whirlpool / maytag  ssd get all the latest updates and have not seen anything other then the duckbill as a fix for your issue .The drain hose with the ptrap in the picture looks like the drain hose on a 10 year old maytag top mount fridge .As far as I'm concerned it wouldn't work on a bottom mount .

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
I went through this recently, and got a lot of help from the folks here.    On my next-to-useless extended warranty from HD, they finally sent a guy out who knew exactly what the problem is,......common , design defect....    Within about 5 minutes he had removed the duckbill which was all gummed up and stuck shut, and left us with instructions to turn the unit OFF for 24 hours to defrost the drain tube area.  Thanks a lot, bubba.

Anyway, the tech sheet referenced within this thread gives you the # for a new duckbill,  about $4.     The folks on the board here explained that I may have frost issues in the freezer if I don't replace it.    I intend to, but have not done it yet and after 2 months all is still well.    We actually probably don't open the freezer door 4 times  a week so that may be why we are skating by right now!

Anyway, the basic issue is the high temperature near where the duckbill is located deteriorates the rubber so the slot sticks closed over.   Some has suggested also a light coating of silicone oil on the new one.

frozen water in bottom of freezer, leaks on floor

Started by soccrates

Replies: 3
Views: 4243
Last post June 19, 2009, 05:52:22 AM
by Repair-man
Antique 1954 Fridgidaire w/ pinhole leak in freezer floor

Started by reaboy

Replies: 1
Views: 1607
Last post September 11, 2010, 12:13:26 AM
by jophil28