Author Topic: ice on floor of freezer MFI2569YEB0  (Read 3206 times)

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
ice on floor of freezer MFI2569YEB0
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:07:24 AM »
I have a less than one year (1day less) Maytag refrigerator that has about a 1/4 inch layer of ice on the floor of the bottom mount freezer section. I have done some searching on the forum and this seems to be an issue with the defrost drain. Can someone tell me what I should be looking at on this unit. I have had such bad luck with refrigerators that I bit the bullet and purchased an extended warranty from Maytag on this unit but I would still like to make sure that they correct the problem properly. Thanks, Jim

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: ice on floor of freezer MFI2569YEB0
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:31:48 AM »
One of my ice box's had this problem. I let it thaw out for a day or 2. Then I used some quarter inch plastic tubing and ran it down the drain to get it clear. So far it is doing ok now.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 08:22:01 AM »
One of my ice box's had this problem. I let it thaw out for a day or 2. Then I used some quarter inch plastic tubing and ran it down the drain to get it clear. So far it is doing ok now.

JW, Kind of hard to let it thaw for a day or two if it is your only freezer. I was kind of hoping someone might be able to give me some direction as to why this has happened in the first place. I have read about other models that have a known issue with the drain "duckbill" that gets gummed up. Was hoping someone had some experience with this model.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 09:45:45 AM »
Wife told me last night the bottom of that one was warm once again. I pulled the floor out and the drain is once again froze over. Aggravating
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »
I can't believe that nobody seems to be able to give me any insight into this problem. I did take the panel off of the back of the fridge and there was some water in the pan. I checked out the duckbill on the drain and it was very tacky feeling material. The ice that has formed on the floor of the freezer section seems to be getting worse by the day. i feel that there must be some type of obstruction at the start of the drain.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 05:04:22 PM »
The tech will change the W10309238 drain grommet or duckbill as its known in the trade .I don't understand why your even looking at it if you have warranty .I'm sure the tech will be very capable to fix your fridge properly .This issue has been a bit of a problem with this design but I find a little modification to the drain grommet and problem solved . Hope this answers your question .

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »
The tech will change the W10309238 drain grommet or duckbill as its known in the trade .I don't understand why your even looking at it if you have warranty .I'm sure the tech will be very capable to fix your fridge properly .This issue has been a bit of a problem with this design but I find a little modification to the drain grommet and problem solved . Hope this answers your question .
Not trying to fix it myself, but trying to understand what the heck is going on with it. I am the guy that is usually one day past the warranty and tsol. I repair electrical equipment for a living so stuff like this intrigues me (easily amused I guess). Do you do some kind of modification to the new grommet or do you just install it in place of the old one? Thanks for helping me understand what is going on, Jim

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »
I use a exacto knife and make the slit in the end of the duckbill SLIGHTLY larger .The techline also told me to spray the inside of the new duckbill with silicone spray .Seems to work .

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
Thanks for the tip! At least I know what to look for if it does it again.

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
Well tech showed up and told the wife that he had the part with him and installed a new grommet/duckbill on the drain line. Told me over the phone that they were still having problems with the part as far as he could tell. He told the wife that the ice would disappear with the defrost working normally and being able to drain and left. It will be interesting to see how long this one holds up before it starts causing the same problem.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
He told the wife that the ice would disappear with the defrost working normally and being able to drain and left.

If I was the technician I would have removed the ice myself and made sure the drain was working before I left, but that's just me.

Keep us updated...

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 04:50:23 PM »
Yeah, I agree that is what I would do if I was working on something.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
He told the wife that the ice would disappear with the defrost working normally and being able to drain and left. It will be interesting to see how long this one holds up before it starts causing the same problem.
If he did not remove the ice on the FLOOR of the freezer, I personally do not see the defrost clearing that up.... ???

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 05:14:36 PM »
He told the wife that the ice would disappear with the defrost working normally and being able to drain and left. It will be interesting to see how long this one holds up before it starts causing the same problem.
If he did not remove the ice on the FLOOR of the freezer, I personally do not see the defrost clearing that up.... ???

Just what I was thinking too.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline jrudyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »

We will see, if it doesn't I will be giving them a call.

frozen water in bottom of freezer, leaks on floor

Started by soccrates

Replies: 3
Views: 4769
Last post June 19, 2009, 05:52:22 AM
by Repair-man
Antique 1954 Fridgidaire w/ pinhole leak in freezer floor

Started by reaboy

Replies: 1
Views: 1705
Last post September 11, 2010, 12:13:26 AM
by jophil28