Author Topic: Whirlpool Gold Series Refrigerator - Again  (Read 8412 times)

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Gold Series Refrigerator - Again
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:58:19 PM »
Well, I got my ice maker fixed and now its snowing in my freezer. This thing is possessed. I turned the controls down to 3 and its snowing in my freezer and the eggs in the fridge are frozen. The vent hold from the freezer to the fridge is freezing over too.

Whirlpool Gold Series Refrigerator: Mod: GS6SHAXMB00 Ser: SR4054839Man Date: 10/04Type 26SSA

Background: The ice maker went out awhile back. I put in a new water valve and it still did not work. I put in a used ice maker from a friend and it ran for almost a year. Then it went out again. I vacuumed the coils off and jumped the controls and it still didn't run. I replace the ice maker and it works now but the freezer seems like it is stuck on full blast. The freezer and fridge have been on "5" for 8 years until this. Now they are on 3 and its still too cold.

Please tell me what is wrong with this thing. It seems like its one thing after another with this fridge.

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool Gold Series Refrigerator - Again
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 02:08:43 PM »
If there is a way to diagnose this or if I need to get more info just let me know.

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:51:41 PM »

Ok, more to add.

Over the past couple of days there has been water in the floor in front of the fridge. I thought people were dropping ice cubes and letting them melt. Today however the water puddle was good size and I was the only one home. so I pulled it out and its dry underneath. I pushed it back and pulled the grill off and its dry as well. That was when I noticed the bottom of the freezer had about 4 inches of ice in the bottom. It formed to the bottom of the freezer so its coming in in liquid form.

I am thinking the water line that feeds the ice maker must be broken but you would think it would be leaking all the time unless its on the freezer side of the solenoid. I need to know how to get to it to check it but also, do you think this water is the cause of everything freezing up and the frost build up all over the freezer and the fridge side near the freezer vent?

Here are some pics:

Inside the aluminum grille piece in the back is where the water is coming from. The frozen ice flow (before I pulled the basket out) had a "valley" where the water had been flowing.

This is how it came out.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 05:55:53 PM »
Your drain is plugged

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Your drain is plugged

That's what I would believe... O0

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 06:10:50 PM »
That sounds like an easy fix. How do I unplug it? I don't even know where it is.

Would that cause the frosting issue too?

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »
I found a link that says it should be under the evap coil in the back. I will pull that panel off and see if it is frozen over.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 06:30:26 PM »
I found a link that says it should be under the evap coil in the back. I will pull that panel off and see if it is frozen over.

Correct. A hair dryer, steamer, or hot water and towells/shop vac usually does the trick. I would venture to say the excess snow/frost/moisture in the freezer compartment is due to the drain being plugged. 2 birds, 1 stone. O0

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
It worked. Thanks. It was pretty clogged up. Got it cleaned up and chased it with a bleach water mixture. Pics. My frosting up and water leak are both gone now. I dinged up the soft aluminum a little and cut myself pretty good on the fins but all in all it was worth it.

And after

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »
Good job.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »
 :cheers:

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 11:39:39 AM »
Thanks. I hope it is trouble free for awhile. It runs like a champ now. The freezer got a good scrubbing too.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:40:21 AM by iliiinieis »

Offline iliiinieis

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »
Ok guys, it happened again. Its completely froze up again and just as bad. There must be something wrong. I need ideas. In my previous cleaning it drained perfect and was extremely clean. For some reason it is freezing up before it drains? I am at a loss with this refrigerator.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 06:43:33 PM »
That ice on the evaporator is not from a clog drain in the picture you first posted.Are your door gasket OK?Is the dispenser flap closing?Are all the fan motors working,fan in freezer and fan by compressor working.And does it have that ice on the evaporator again like in the first post or is it just the drain.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »

That ice on the evaporator is not from a clog drain in the picture you first posted.Are your door gasket OK?Is the dispenser flap closing?Are all the fan motors working,fan in freezer and fan by compressor working.And does it have that ice on the evaporator again like in the first post or is it just the drain.

I agree with dab, also if it is really a drain problem there is a heater probe kit they make to clamp on the defrost element and feed down the drain hole.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Strap/819043/726493

I know some guys that also do the same thing with a heavy gage piece of coper wire.

Sometimes the defrost heating elements will warp up and away from the defrost pans over time.

Can't tell from your photos if that is the case or not, but I have replaced some defrost element that "worked" as far as getting hot, but had warped.

Your model uses heating element part # 2323198

Hope you find our site helpful.

Whirlpool Gold Series Refrigerator - Icemaker again

Started by iliiinieis

Replies: 15
Views: 4479
Last post October 04, 2012, 03:16:03 PM
by iliiinieis
Whirlpool Gold refrigerator ice maker not working

Started by iliiinieis

Replies: 25
Views: 33743