Author Topic: magic chef oven lights but blows out gas  (Read 1831 times)

Offline off target

• VIP Member
magic chef oven lights but blows out gas
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:51:27 PM »
Hi All,
 It's been a long time my oven is broken. The oven lights but the flame is so small it blows out when the door is opened then closed. I have read all I can about this problem. The igniter in the bake side was replaced with new. The same results have occurred small flame. I replaced the gas valve that controls both broiler and bake. Still same result small flame. I checked to see is blocked air passage to bottom burner its clear. I also switched the top igniter which worked to start the broiler to the bottom bake burner it did not help.
What am I to do now?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: magic chef oven lights but blows out gas
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
Since the other burners are working, your gas pressure is probably okay.  Remove the orifice and make sure it's not clogged. 

Offline off target

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 02:37:16 PM »
I checked the air gas mix openings for obstructions and there where not any blockages. I was thinking also that if there was a blockage that the flame would burn more yellow because its not getting air to burn blue.  The flame as small as it is, is blue. The flame is as small as a sesame seed. The gas into the house is good because the cook top works fine and so does the dryer.  The regulator for the wall oven must work fine because the broiler works fine.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »
Spider web in the burner?

Offline off target

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:37:39 AM »
If i have replaced 2 parts, one that light the gas and the gas valve whats next? The third part is the control pad. The controller that works the broiler does set high and low broil properly. How do i check it for the oven? I have a meter. The last part is the regulator and that works, it's letting in gas for the broiler.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 10:20:22 AM »
When you replaced the gas valve did you adjust the orifice. new gas valves do not come adjusted and are cranked down to insure LP stoves flames will not exceed halfway up the burner spreader. A 7/16th nut is located on top of the valve and is the adjustment.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline off target

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »
my wall oven has no screw at the valve body. The valve body is controlled electrically from the digital pad on the front of the oven. The air fuel mixer has not been touched since the gas man set it up. The valve body has one in from the gas regulator and splits one to oven one to broiler. and the four wired going to it from the control pad. The valve body is new. the igniter /glow plug is new.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 03:25:43 PM »
Got any photos you can post. I can tell by looking at it. Post a pic of the oven burner valve.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline off target

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 05:28:25 AM »
the valve is for the magic chef 9475 vyv  i am sure thats not the problem.. its ether the touch pad or maybe a temp sensor ?
 How can i check the digital pad to see if it works improperly before i send it out to get rebuild, I have a fluke meter. And if the digital pad works what could it be?

Offline off target

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 10:24:20 AM »
Does anyone know how many ohms the temp sensor should draw at room temp lets say 65? That part is cheaper than the touch pad and they don't make the pad any more, i would have to send it away. Has any one got any recommendations as to where to get the dig pad fixed, if need be?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 11:57:26 AM »
Touch pad and ERC would not have anything to do with flame height. You have a restriction in your gas line or a plugged burner. Take some BB's from a BB gun and put them in the burner and shake like crazy. Then in stall and try it again. Also check the orifice on the oven as I have seen electrolysis plug 3 in the last year.(aluminum tubing and a brass orifice)

Offline off target

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 05:19:04 AM »
All right ill give it a go.

Offline off target

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 01:40:10 PM »
Ok so I took out the bake burner and checked it for obstructions and did the BB thing . I could blow throw the tube with out any problem.. The brass orifice had no obstructions and showed no sighs of any oxidation. Could any one tell me how large the flame should extend from the burner tube when working properly? what could be next? The broiler flames extend quite a way from the burner tube, if this is how the bottom burner should act i would like to know?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »
The bake valve should be adjusted to where the flame does not exceed halfway up the flame spreader. You do this by tweaking the orifice which has a 7/16th nut mounted on the safety valve just below the burner tube.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline off target

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 08:25:25 AM »
fixed fixed thanks all blockage in brass nozzle/jet. The blockage looked tike lint? I poked in the nozzle carefully with my torch tip cleaner. I saw it looked closed and a poke and it moved so i put the vacuums on it..  Could this be removed with a socket wrench and checked out for real? I cooke hand made pizza yesterday. Oven seems to work fine. Thanks all this site is really a life saver.

Magic Chef Range / Stove / Oven Fault Codes

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1592
Last post December 15, 2011, 01:38:47 PM
by AJ
magic chef range: oven element hotspot / fire

Started by odin

Replies: 3
Views: 837
Last post October 27, 2012, 04:24:31 PM
by odin