I wonder if somebody could help me troubleshoot my Kenmore range (model 790.96112408)?
The oven heats inconsistently. It does not have a constant temperature offset, rather, I can set it for 400 F and it might be there for a while and then go to 450. I will turn it down to 375 and it will eventually return to 400. But the temperature might be very accurate at 350 F. I am using one of those metal coil thermometers in the oven to measure the temp.
This is a new behavior in the last 6 months or so.
What I have done:
- measured thermal probe to be 1087 ohms
- measured bake element to be 16 ohms
- measured broil element to be 14 ohms
These measurements all seem to be in the acceptable range, based on the service schematic I found in back of oven.
- Does anyone know what else could be the problem? Could it be the controller board? How would I know without just having to go out and buy one?
- These measurements (above) were at room temperature, but could they yet be incorrect when the oven is in use?
Thanks for any help. If I call a repair guy and need a controller board, I also have to pay him $100+. If I know it's the controller board, I could just replace it myself.