Author Topic: LG WM2050CW balance weight broken!  (Read 1620 times)

Offline malaya

• VIP Member
LG WM2050CW balance weight broken!
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »
Hello All,

This washer was only 18 months old when the rear bearings went bad & I had to replace both inner & outer tubs (costing me $400); however, it has worked like new since that repair (May of this year). Then this morning, during the spin cycle, the clanking was so loud it sounded like a jackhammer...I thought "oh no...not again". When I went to unload it, however, the door gasket was warped out of shape at the top. Upon further investigation, I realized one of the balance weights (normally housed btwn the door & the tub drum) had broken loose & was just laying on the top inside of the door gasket, bending it downward. I scheduled the repair technician who replaced the tubs in May to come look at it tomorrow, but I have a question that will help me determine if this new problem should be covered as part of the original repair. What part holds the balance weights in place? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much! :tickedoff:

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: LG WM2050CW balance weight broken!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:31:54 PM »
<<<What part holds the balance weights in place?>>>

Four 10mm bolts.

<<<This washer was only 18 months old when the rear bearings went bad & I had to replace both inner & outer tubs>>>

Highly unusual for bearing failure at 18 months.
I have never encountered an LG washer with failed/worn/defective tub bearings less than 5 years old with *extreme-duty* use (8 loads of laundry PER DAY).

<<<I scheduled the repair technician who replaced the tubs in May to come look at it tomorrow, but I have a question that will help me determine if this new problem should be covered as part of the original repair.>>>

The concrete-filled TUB WEIGHT *10mm bolts* were problably not installed tight enough---became loose and this caused the TUB WEIGHT to slide off the anchor pins.

It's also possible that the TUB WEIGHTS (upper & lower)---were re-installed *backwards* (not fully seated).

I would be suspicious of the "repair technician"----but that's just me---whenever highly unusual symptoms and repairs have occurred.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:38:59 PM by john63 »

Offline malaya

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 12:09:18 AM »
John-

Thank you so much for the timely reply. I really appreciate your helpful information. The technician (who's also the owner of this repair company) was not the one who originally diagnosed the bad bearings. I called another company & after their tech diagnosed it & took photos for me, I called LG & complained. Then I submitted a claim & they offered to pay for the parts even though I was past my warranty (by a year). However, they insisted I use one of their LG-authorized service shops so they could be billed directly for the parts, so I agreed (it saved me having to pay the whole $700, which is what I paid for the whole washer new). When the LG-auth tech called to schedule the repair, he asked me a few questions about the symptoms over the phone & said it sounded like it was bad bearings, so he was going to order the parts & do the repair when they came in. I asked him if he should diagnose it himself before ordering the parts, but he said the symptoms sounded spot on for bad bearings & he would verify it when he came to do the repair. So, 2 weeks later, he did the repair & it ran smooth as new until this morning. I definitely don't overuse the washer...there are only 2 people in my household & I only do 1-2 loads a day at most. But I do not like that just months later, another seemingly serious, odd problem erupts. I will definitely keep your advice in mind when he comes tomorrow. Let me know if there is anything else I should ask him/watch for. And again, I truly appreciate your time & effort. Nice to know there are still some honest repairmen populating the world! Thank you..

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »
How old is this washer? If it was built prior to August 2007, there is a design change on the front tub, door boot and lower balance weight. If it was built after that date, I would assume that the weights were not installed correctly.  Please keep us updated on what that tech tells you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline malaya

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »
Hi...

Thanks for replying. I bought the washer new in June 2010, so I think this technician who replaced the tubs in May of this year may not have installed the weights properly. Do the weights come attached to a new inner or outer tub when those are replaced? I don't want to get charged for a part that was replaced in May & should still be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. If they aren't part of a new tub, then he should be responsible for the charges to correct this since he didn't seat them properly the first time, right? I just want to cover my bases & not get "taken for a ride", as I am a student & cannot afford another $300 repair on my limited financial-aid budget. Your help is really appreciated. Thank you for your time  :)

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 10:11:54 AM »
Or the bolts just came loose. I do not like to make assumptions about another tech, there are many different things that could have happened. I have had bearing fail in LG's, not as bad in other units. But I have had many different brands, bolts come loose.Including from the factory.

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »
<<<Do the weights come attached to a new inner or outer tub when those are replaced?>>>

No.

<<<If it was built prior to August 2007, there is a design change on the front tub, door boot and lower balance weight.>>>

The design change is as follows...

The addition of a Drain Hole in the Door Gasket (6 o'clock postion).
A small Drain Tube that routes/runs from the Door Gasket---to the front half of the outer tub.
A hole in the Front Outer Tub---to allow water in the Door Gasket to drain.
The front/lower TUB WEIGHT was re-design with a "U" shaped "cut-out"---clearance for the small Drain Tube.

None of this though---applies to *malaya's* particular issue.

<<<I do not like to make assumptions about another tech>>>

That's being polite---nothing wrong with that.

However---after 30 years of seeing so many FUBARed repairs by other techs---I've become cynical.

Offline malaya

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »
To Everyone Who Advised Me....

Thank you very much for all your help. The technician came out, opened up my washer & it appeared that the drum weight had "slid" right off the bolts...the bolts were still in place & intact. He said he'd never seen that happen before, but he reseated them & didn't charge me anything. He did apologize for it, which I took as an indirect admission of guilt. So, I think John63 was correct: he either didn't tighten them or put them in backwards when he installed my new tub in May. I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate your help....even though he didn't charge me, I felt empowered with knowledge in case he tried! Hopefully, this will be the end of this saga...and thank you once again. Have a great T-Day everyone!

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
<<<He said he'd never seen that happen before, but he reseated them & didn't charge me anything. He did apologize for it>>>

An honest tech----and a keeper.

maytag performa out of balance

Started by mechemd1

Replies: 1
Views: 2573
Last post December 31, 2007, 06:47:41 PM
by AJ
Off Balance Maytag

Started by Jack

Replies: 10
Views: 3692
Last post February 15, 2008, 08:01:27 AM