365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: commercial microwave service  (Read 105 times)

Offline twayneb

• Technician
commercial microwave service
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »
anybody do it, have done it, thinking about doing it, or know anybody that does or has. i have a interest in this as a add on service but concerned with turn around time.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Re: commercial microwave service
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »
There is a microwave repair shop off auburn blvd. in Sacramento, CA that I spoke to about microwave repair. 

They told me that they pretty much do commercial exclusively.

This is because the home micros are too cheap to repair - you just replace it.

Messing around with this, it has been my (limited) experience that stuff like the fan motors, capacitors, turntables, turntable motors, magnetrons, etc. are pretty generic, or at least are swappable.

It seems that the effort for servicing microwaves is best applied to commercial.  you'd be surprised how many restaurants use microwaves, up to and including the very highest end gourmet restaurants.

Microwaves heat the moisture w/in the food.  They don't "cook" as we understand the term.  This means that, with limited application, they are indispensible for heating and reheating.

After all, nobody cooks their turkey with a microwave.  but they sure do heat it up with one

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14:43 AM »
Lady down at the mexican rest brought in 2 of them for me to look at. They had dual mags in them and both worked on 220 volts. Real solid built with large easy touchpads. Got me to thinking about putting together a microwave hot water heater, till I did the math on wattage vs volume. 
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »
Just worked on a Sharp Commercial DUAL magnatron microwave a week or so ago. Very solid japanese unit that recently had both mags replaced. All I ended up finding wrong was two loose female spade connectors. One at the capacitor, and one on the relay on the main. O0

Offline twayneb

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »
thanks for the replies guys. I am aware of how many that are out there and the few i have worked on were straightforward. some of these units sale for quite a bit and i am looking to find something that has higher retail prices to add to the home appliance service. i am aware of one business north of me that does only micro service.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 01:56:08 AM »
I've fixed a few of these.   I have about 10 restuarants I do work for,  I fix most of their equipment except for the walk in coolers and big commercial refrigerators.    Biggest problem I have with these places is they need stuff done immediatly,  and I can't possibly carry all of the parts needed for these.    I got a call from a resturaunt yesterday,  and he needed his commercial Star Grill fixed.    I told him I could get there today,   he said he needed it fixed RIGHT NOW.   They were in the middle of breakfast.   I told him I couldn't get there that fast,   and gave him the number of a place that repairs commercial.    They have 6 serviceman,  so that was his best shot.     

My thought.    Get a few "spare " commercial micro's,   and if you have to repair one,   bring the spare so you wouldn't have to fix it on the spot.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

New Service Manual Download System.

Started by AJ

Replies: 14
Views: 123
Last post March 17, 2008, 06:37:56 PM
by AJ
What brands do you service the most - warranty work?

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 88
Last post April 03, 2008, 08:59:47 PM
by BrntToast
Old Maytag Service Manual - OCR

Started by AJ

Replies: 4
Views: 58
Last post May 05, 2008, 12:53:37 PM
by AJ
new service truck