365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Saving The Environment - The Minimalist Clothes Washer  (Read 208 times)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Saving The Environment - The Minimalist Clothes Washer
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »
An Article on the newer appliances that break down more often, cost more to repair, and really don't save any money, let alone the environment.

I can't imagine where they got this idea.  You just can't make anyone happy, I guess [/sarcasm].

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
Re: Saving The Environment - The Minimalist Clothes Washer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »
A consumer revolution down the road?
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »
People will migrate to the machines that work the best and last the longest - or - they'll get used to the abuse, and just put up with crappy machines.  My money is on the latter, or we'd have never migrated to the crappy stuff in the first place.

The scary part is that it seems that you can't get "certified" w/out the gov't approval.

"Certified"??!!  What is up with that?

Can't you just make a good product and sell it in these U S of A anymore without the Gov't's permission??

Sigh.

Offline ramwash

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:17:07 AM »
we have the same problem here in Australia, appliances getting cheaper, parts only available for 5 years. I was told the other day as of the first of November 2012 all domestic appliances sold here in Australia have to be controlled by electronic boards, so now sold here is a speedqueen top loader with an electronic board in it, no timer, this machine still has the same motor, gearbox, drain pump, etc as the previous timer model, this electronic controlled topload speedqueen wont save on water and wont save on power usage, so I cant understand why the Australian government forces company's to go electronic, yet for the commercial sector you can still buy the speedqueen with a timer and if this machine is sold to a domestic customer you can get a big big fine

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 01:51:11 PM »
What we need is a front loader with bigger bearings, a stonger motor, and better/more forgiving electronics that do not give a dayum about soap usage. Let the homeowner worry that they are using too much soap.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:51:41 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:08:36 PM »
The bearing issue is pretty important.  People will overload them no matter what you do.  That is why the top loaders work better.  The weight distribution is better.  Maybe something could be done like the old dryers.  Rollers or a "bearing" that supports the front of the drum.  that would take a lot of the strain off the central rear bearing.

Of course, easy bearing replacement, and replaceable spider arms would help.  Perhaps even a rear panel in the tub, rather than having to remove everything to split the tub.

Bullet proof electronics would help too.  Built in surge protection, milliamp fuses, strong connectors, etc.

They could do it, that is certain.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 01:13:08 AM »
     Guys, what your talking about is a commercial quality washer.    I work on those and have done much work on them in the past,  the true commercial washers.   Huge, strong bearing setups.   Last for 25 years.    3 phase motors that are true 3 phase,  not a small tiny 3 phase motor powered by an inverter.   ETC.   The problem is that these units are very, very costly.    And costly to repair.     

Bearing Job on a commercial machine typically costs at least 1500 for a small unit to thousands of dollars on a bigger unit.    Problem is the cost.     They can't charge 3000 or more  for a home unit,  nobody would pay the money.      I did a bearing job several years ago on a Unimac washer,  35 lb machine,  parts alone for the job cost 2200 dollars.    The Drum and shaft unit alone was 1600 dollars.   I laugh when I read on these home model front loaders "Commercial Quality".     

Besides,  they want them to break down.    Guaranteed Obselesance.    They want to spur new sales rather than worry about quality of their products.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:33:15 AM »
Do think the manufacturer/engineers read these posts for insight (probably another topic),
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »
Do think the manufacturer/engineers read these posts for insight (probably another topic),

For privacy reasons I can't give out details, but I can tell you that we do have members from Whirlpool that read our forum.
As for other manufactures I can't say for sure. They could be reading our forum as guest or are members that I'm not aware of.

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »
Built in obsolescence is a problem.  Taken too far, it leaves you open to any competitor beating you out with better quality.

I don't think that these washers need a $1600 bearing, though I have no experience with commercial machines.  Appliances are categorized as "durable goods" like cars and such.  They should not wear out after a year.

The old maytag machines, the old basic refrigerators, the WP dryers and DD washers keep going.  And the old WP dryers and washers are easy and cheap to repair.

Any of these companies could design a good appliance with a 10-year life and take over the market.  They have the factories and the distribution system.  Which one will do it is the question.  Get rid of the "bright, young MBA's" who save a penny this quarter and lose a company next year (Maytag, anyone?) and get people who want to build a quality product, and stand behind it.  It'll cost a bit, but not much more than what is out in the current market.

My opinion, anyway...

LG WM2233HW Washer Photos added to the gallery.

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 42
Last post April 15, 2008, 05:48:44 PM
by AJ
MOVED: Frigidaire Dryer Tearing Clothes

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 41
Last post June 08, 2008, 07:06:58 PM
by AJ
When did Whirlpool start making the direct drive washer?

Started by AJ

Replies: 11
Views: 184
Last post June 29, 2013, 06:53:57 PM
by RAH52
GE washer

Started by magician59

Replies: 5
Views: 59
Last post April 07, 2010, 06:18:43 PM
by whirlpooltech
Duet front load washer what buttons do I push?

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 3
Views: 64
Last post May 20, 2010, 11:29:10 PM
by AJ
Large washer clamp

Started by RAH52

Replies: 25
Views: 364
Last post October 20, 2012, 02:25:46 PM
by Wedgeman55