Author Topic: Whirlpool Duet Washer 3 beeps on power button  (Read 2630 times)

Offline lennon_68

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Duet Washer 3 beeps on power button
« on: November 09, 2012, 06:52:13 PM »
I've got a Whirlpool Duet washer model wfw9600ta01.  About a week ago it threw an F70 error in the middle of a load leaving the door locked and tub full of water.  I unplugged the unit and pulled the door lock release (alread had the access panel off as I've been having trouble with the door gasket leaking) but now it will not power up.  When the power button is pressed it just does the three quick beeps and nothing else. 

When it first happened I hit the internet looking for a solution.  I found lots of information on the F70/F71 errors but it sees that's not my problem any longer (well at least not my only problem).  I also found a lot of information on "the three beeps" but I recently realized that was mostly people getting three beeps when pressing the start button not the power button (regardless I've tried unplugging the heartbeat cable from the MCU with no change).  A couple days ago I took the whole user interface apart and checked that all the connections were working and that none of them were shorted.  Everything checked out fine and when I put it back together it actually turned on.  I ran a "drain and spin" cycle to make sure the motor and everything was working correctly and it did.  That didn't last long though, wife tried to do laundry the next day and it would just give the three beeps on the start button.  Unfortunately I didn't get to test unplugging the MCU with this error because it was back to not turning on when I got home from work :(

A couple notes:

1.  I've tried reseating every connection I could find (several times)
2.  When the washer is plugged in I can hear the relay click (a good sign that it's not the CCU)
3.  I can run the diagnostics by holding the water temp button for 3 secs and releasing for 3 secs 3 times (another good sign that it's not the CCU) - note this lists the C:00 door lock error for the most recent errors)
4.  For those 5 minutes that it was working the drum was spinning (I think a good sign that it's not the MCU)
5.  I have a nice DMM but aside from checking for continuity I'm not very familiar with how to use it in this situation
6.  I've reviewed the word document in this link: https://secured.whirlpool.com but as I'm not familiar very familiar with the insides of my washer I wasn't able to easily translate the information to the differing parts that my washer has (for example I was trying to troubleshoot the door switch error but couldn't figure out where on the CCU the door switch goes or where the door lock switch is)
7.  I've disassembled the door switch completely and everything looks to be in order.
8.  If I hold any of the buttons down on the either the center board or right board while pressing the power button it does not beep (I think a good sign for the board on the right)
9.  Holding the panel lock button functions

Based on my research I believe the culprit is the user interface, something like this (not sure if this is the exact part though):  W10319816

Any thoughts on this?  If it is this part are they mostly interchangeable between these washers (I know the board to the right isn't as it has specialized buttons for steam, etc but it seems like these might be interchangeable)?  I've looked this board over for anything amiss but didn't see anything, is anyone familiar with how to test/repair the board itself?  I likely wouldn't attempt to repair it as it's surface components but if I can figure out which piece it is I might know a guy...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:59:17 PM by lennon_68 »

Offline Ol' Lonely

• Technician
  • The Lonely Repairman
Re: Whirlpool Duet Washer 3 beeps on power button
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 07:02:39 PM »
Sounds about right. Check out this topic though.

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=4745.0
"Depend on us."

Offline lennon_68

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »

Thanks for the response!  What am I checking out in that link though?   ???  Any comments on the other questions (are these parts interchangeable between washers and is there any information on how to test/repair the board itself)?  :)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »
The CCU is the main control board. Your model use main control board part # W10156258

The MCU is the motor control board. Your model use motor control board part # 8183196

The user interface for your model is control board part # W10319814

are these parts interchangeable between washers

Sometimes, but you need to look up the model number to make sure.

I stock and replace far more CCU, main control boards (part # W10156258) then any of the other control boards for that washer.

They can be hard to troubleshoot and a lot of times I just end up going out to my truck and getting a new CCU to plug in and try.

Any parts ordered from RepairClinic.com or AppliancePartsPros.com can be returned if they don't end up fixing the problem.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you do or if you have any other questions.

Thanks for posting.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Ol' Lonely

• Technician
  • The Lonely Repairman
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »

Thanks for the response!  What am I checking out in that link though?   ???  Any comments on the other questions (are these parts interchangeable between washers and is there any information on how to test/repair the board itself)?  :)

No harm in buying and trying.
"Depend on us."

Offline lennon_68

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 11:17:30 AM »
Just wanted to come back and update this thread.  I never did replace any parts but the washer is working again.  The only thing I did was fiddle with the two user interface boards (nothing specific though, I fiddled with the cables, took the board with the power button apart and tested with a DMM, etc.  after all that I put it back together and it still didn't work, fiddled with the wires some more and it still didn't work but then a couple seconds later started up fine and has been working since).  I suspect this isn't the last I've seen of this problem but it's now been working without issue for about a week.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 02:43:50 PM »
That's great, thanks for the update.
Hope you find our site helpful.

whirlpool duet washer now getting three beeps

Started by hot57ford

Replies: 6
Views: 5741
Last post August 20, 2009, 02:53:39 PM
by hot57ford
Whirlpool duet washer now getting three beeps

Started by Dobes

Replies: 6
Views: 7081
Last post October 28, 2009, 01:22:43 PM
by whirlpooltech
Whirlpool Duet Washer, GHW9100LW1, No Power

Started by ChrisR

Replies: 5
Views: 2025
Last post January 13, 2012, 03:31:15 PM
by whirlpooltech
Photos: Whirlpool Duet washer with bad bearings, only 2.5 years old!

Started by AJ

Replies: 21
Views: 28941
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
by Rick32k
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4671
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ
How to replace a Whirlpool Duet washer bellow tub door seal

Started by AJ

Replies: 39
Views: 66297
Last post December 24, 2013, 12:16:46 AM
by GB-NC