Author Topic: One for TheOldStoveGuy!  (Read 2819 times)

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: One for TheOldStoveGuy!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
You are talking about the valve in the last pic? Take it apart (if it Will come apart) Stretch the spring out so when it is together it puts pressure against the housing. If it is up and down play you need another valve.

Offline JADsvc1

• Technician
  • 25 yrs Frigidaire/W-W/Electrolux svc mgr
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:53:24 PM »
Thanks to all for the great input on this guys!

I finally got back to finish the job today. Got some good valve grease, disassembled the valve and cleaned the heck out of it. Found that the old grease was a bit gritty and had thinned considerably. Reassembled with new lube, resealed all threaded connections and fired it up. No leaks and the valve turns so much better than it did before. The customer will have a good turkey dinner come Thursday.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!   :cheers:

JAD
Having is not always so desirable as wanting . . .

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »
That valve grease do it every time. Glad ye could git her did!
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »
Glad you got it fixed.    I am gonna try the bb's next time I get an old one like this.   We have a section of town over here where most of the houses are 40's and 50's vintage and have a lot of old ovens and stoves.   I picked up a package of bb's when me and the wife were at wall mart last week.   I'll pick up some simple green too.  Thanks for the info, Old Stove.   I appreciate you sharing your tricks with us.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline JADsvc1

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 12:10:38 PM »
Yes, thanks very much for the tips OldStoveGuy! They definitely helped.

One thing I noticed was that I couldn't quite get the oven burner to light properly every time. Even after I cleaned out the oven burner, it'll light on the first side by the pilot fine, but it takes 30 seconds to a minute to climb over to the front then other side. In that time, you can smell the raw LP.

I not only used the BB's to clean this burner, I cleaned every port with a paper clip and a pipe cleaner, including the climber ports between sides. Then I degreased the outside of it with Simple Green, washed it off inside & out with dish soap & water, then ran it straight out to the air compressor and blew it out until it was all dry and clean. When it's lit, it burns clean with a mostly blue flame. Hardly any yellow tipping, not lazy.

Any more tips on this?

My experience with modern burners is there's usually some dirt or soot causing this, and cleaning the burner usually fixes it. This cast iron burner may be different.

Thanks again!

JAD

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 05:41:52 PM »
A lot of these burners were in fact "hand drilled"(egg beater type drill). If that is the case check to see if they are drilled evenly and straight. I have drilled very small holes between the openings after failure of all of air gas adjustments. Make sure the bottom panel is in place and door closed. I leave the broiler drawer cracked just enough to see.

Offline JADsvc1

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 08:09:03 PM »
Thanks for the information. I'll have a closer look at the holes in that burner. I did have the broiler door open, so maybe that adversely affected the burner lighting operation. When it's lit, it does burn nicely.

Thanks again and take care,

JAD

Follow us on Google+