Forum > Range, Oven & Cooktop Repair

Kenmore oven: Inconsistent temperature

(1/3) > >>

murphycc:
I wonder if somebody could help me troubleshoot my Kenmore range (model 790.96112408)?

The oven heats inconsistently. It does not have a constant temperature offset, rather, I can set it for 400 F and it might be there for a while and then go to 450. I will turn it down to 375 and it will eventually return to 400. But the temperature might be very accurate at 350 F. I am using one of those metal coil thermometers in the oven to measure the temp.

This is a new behavior in the last 6 months or so.

What I have done:
- measured thermal probe to be 1087 ohms
- measured bake element to be 16 ohms
- measured broil element to be 14 ohms

These measurements all seem to be in the acceptable range, based on the service schematic I found in back of oven.

My questions:
- Does anyone know what else could be the problem? Could it be the controller board? How would I know without just having to go out and buy one?
- These measurements (above) were at room temperature, but could they yet be incorrect when the oven is in use?

Thanks for any help. If I call a repair guy and need a controller board, I also have to pay him $100+. If I know it's the controller board, I could just replace it myself.

-Chris

AJ:

--- Quote ---These measurements (above) were at room temperature, but could they yet be incorrect when the oven is in use?
--- End quote ---

Bingo! That is often what I find is the case. I would start with replacing the oven sensor, part # 316490001

--- Quote ---Could it be the controller board? How would I know without just having to go out and buy one?
--- End quote ---

It could be the control board too. The contacts on the bake relay could be failing. This is something that would be hard to diagnose. Best bet would be to replace the oven sensor first and if it still gives you trouble replace the control board/clock, part # 316557118

Hope that help.

Let us know how it turns out or if you have any other questions.

murphycc:
Thank you very much! I will try that oven sensor first. Maybe it is marginal at high temperature.

-Chris

AJ:
Sounds good, let us know how it turns out for you.

murphycc:
Well, I tried a new oven probe but the temperature inconsistency still persists. I think I will go ahead and order a new timer/control board tomorrow.

-Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version