365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros

Author Topic: How many other techs service your area?  (Read 148 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
How many other techs service your area?
« on: November 06, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »
How many other techs service your area?

The place I had worked for in town for 20 years before going out on my own just had their one and only tech quit on them last Fall.

Back when I started working for them in 1988 the company had two appliance techs and two tv techs. About 5 years into my career the other appliance technician I worked with quit to go farming. They never hired anyone to replace him so I was the one and only appliance tech for the company.

A few years later they also lost one of the tv technicians. They never replaced him either so that left them with just one tv tech and me their one and only appliance tech.

After I quit working there instead of hiring another appliance repair tech they started having the tv tech do the appliance repair as the tv repair side of things really slowed down for them.

Then as I said last Fall their one and only appliance/tv tech (25 year employee) quit to go farming too. I'm staring to see a pattern here, lol...

Maybe I will be farming in a few more years.  :2funny:
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: How many other techs service your area?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
I don't know how many $ears techs there are around here, but from what I can tell (by searching craigslist) there are six or seven independents that service my area. They charge anywhere from $25 to $40 service call charge. Give a 90 day guarantee. And waive the service call charge if you do the repair (which I don't understand...how do you make money?). I have a lot of competition when I go it on my own...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Online rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Reges Service and Repair
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »
I would guess there are a couple dozen appliance company's in my area not including A&E, GE, Consumers Energy.  I think I would only consider a dozen maybe more as full time professional company's.  Most are one man shows like me but some larger family owned appliance businesses that have service techs on staff.
I used to offer a free service call with completed repair.  It was just marketing...flate rate fee = service call + time to repair + parts so never really lost the service call.  I did this because there are some folks in my area charging upwards of $95 to ring the doorbell then charge to look at the appliance and repair.  They don't really tell the customer this unless asked so once they are there you are stuck.  I have since dropped the offer because it was confusing for customers.  I'm now straight $50 service call which includes diagnosis and flat rate fee to repair...which is based on the same formula @ $40/hr; parts around retail price.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:32:57 PM »
My area is a bit weird, i guess.  There is supposed to be a guy acoupla towns over who does repairs, but he keeps taking long vacations and threatening to retire, so nobody knows what's up with him.  I just took over his local property management customer.

There is a sign spinner for the local round table pizza that I heard does appliance repairs, but he must not do too much.

There is a few signs in Spanish for appliance repair, some some guy must go it on his own in the Hispanic community.  I'm cheap, but they won't pay my prices.

I see A&E out once in awhile.

All of my customers tell me that I am the only guy around, and they are thankful to have someone.

I don't think we have enough population to support a big repair business here.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »
I don't think we have enough population to support a big repair business here.

Same here, population about 3,000. Next largest town is about 45 miles away and it's not all that big of a town either, lol.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Online rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Reges Service and Repair
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
About 800,000 in my area so a lot of good and bad tech's to contend with.  No problem and happy to have the good honest tech's it's the shady ones that give us a bad name and scare people away from repair.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »
Must be 50-60 in the area, 2 large companies then independents. As for the $25-40 service call I see a few around here. That is to drive to the house,Then an additional fee for diagnosis and labor. I see a couple of low ball companies that even have full page ads in the phone book advertising lowest "service call in the area" $49.95. Then when they arrive it $49.95+minimum $80.00 + parts to repair. That's how they pay for the ad! I would Love to get $129.95 minimum for each call even to condemn a machine?

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »
Too many!!!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 01:59:17 AM »
In my area,  I just checked population stats,  there are almost 2 million people in the area that I service.    Basicly,  a 4 county area, although I don't get into the far reaches of 2 of the counties.    There are, based on the classes I used to take, maybe close to 40 independants like us plus the big companies like A&E, GE factory etc.   I have my own clientel built up pretty good.    We all have our little piece of the customer pie.   

That being said,  some of the companies are struggling,  usually the ones trying to charge too much.   I go with a lower service call,  but have a minimum labor charge that when added makes it a reasonable charge.    People like the lower service call,  and it helps get you in the door.    Guy who lives right near me charges too much,  and he is always complaining about not having enough work. 
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »
I live in a small community surrounded by 5 other small communities.  The big city is 30 miles away. I rarely go there.  A few professionals come from the big city.  In my area there are 2 others beside me.  Craigslist is full of "appliance repair, call joe, tom, dick or Harry, 20, 30, 50 years experience." 
My business is not where I like it to be, I have to work another  for insurance for the family.  I have a tech that has serviced this community for a long time that no longer wants to do appliances, just HVAC.  He refers all his calls to me as well as the local Appliance supply house.  Not enough business to keep me busy full time.
I need to earn enough so AJ can publish me a web site  ::)   My stratigy is working: slow & steady, stay focused, stay the course.  My reputation as a good tech, my honesty, my ability to satisfy, a fair pricing structureis making the business  grow.   I provide Great Old Fashion Hometown Service.  I am a Professional. O0
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

New Service Manual Download System.

Started by AJ

Replies: 14
Views: 108
Last post March 17, 2008, 06:37:56 PM
by AJ
What brands do you service the most - warranty work?

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 75
Last post April 03, 2008, 08:59:47 PM
by BrntToast
Old Maytag Service Manual - OCR

Started by AJ

Replies: 4
Views: 39
Last post May 05, 2008, 12:53:37 PM
by AJ
new service truck