Author Topic: LG Washer WM2277HW - LE Error  (Read 10057 times)

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
LG Washer WM2277HW - LE Error
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »
I have a Front End Loading LG Washer Model # WM2277HW that is throwing a "LE Error Code". I recently replaced the spider arm, front and rear bearings and tub seal. Put it all back together and tried to start the machine. The drum spins freely if you spin it by hand (cord unplugged). The minute I power the machine ON the rear stator motor locks up as if there was a break on? I can not turn the back stator drum. The sound I hear is a grunt and high pitch whine but the drum does not turn. I even tried to turn the stator drum by hand with alot of resistance it finally breaks loose then locks up again and grunts and high pitch whine starts again. Do you think it is the HALL SENSOR or possibly the main mother board? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: LG Washer WM2277HW - LE Error
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 12:05:42 AM »
Verify that all of the *magnets* on the ROTOR are in good condition (no cracks).

If okay...

Most likely a failed HALL EFFECT SENSOR.

All WM2277 LG washers have the "weaker" Hall Sensor (prone to resistor failure).

All newer LG washers and new replacement Hall Sensors have a more robust resistor within it.

Incorrect detergent dosage is the leading cause of sensor "burn-out".

New sensors will not fail due to excessive laundry detergent use.

Correct amount of detergent is dependent on concentration...

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X (double concentrated): (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X (triple concentrated): (1) Teaspoon

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 07:07:57 AM »
John,

Thank You! I did check to see if the magnets were in good condition with NO CRACKS! I just found it really odd that this machine just sat there and literally locked up although I just replaced the spider, front and rear bearing and tub seal.

I've never seen anything like this before. I really appreciate your input and expertise!

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 08:33:45 AM »
Just received the new LG hall sensor - LG Part #6501KW2002A and installed in the back of the machine. Replaced and installed and ran diagnostics and every thing back to normal. Machine works perfectly again. It's amazing that a little sensor can cause so much havoc to such a expensive machine thinking you have a locked up motor or bad tub bearings. Crazing that too much detergent can cause this to fail ?? Thank You for your help!!

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 10:03:08 AM »
Just for my own edification...can anyone explain what a Hall Effect Sensor is, how they are used, and are they better than thermistors or snap action stats, etc.

Thanks

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »
The Hall Effect Sensor functions identically to an engine CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR.

It's function is to provide data to the Main Board..

Weight of Laundry

RPM of Tub

Direction of Rotation (clockwise/counterwise)

Allows door to unlock when tub stops spinning (safety)

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 08:49:21 AM »
Here are Pictures of "What's inside a Hall Sensor" - unravelled

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 08:50:27 AM »
Here are more pictures

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 03:41:43 PM »
OK, Back at it again........ Same machine stator motor is locked up again?????? Plugged the same machine in after sitting in my shop for 2 weeks to run it at customers house and Stator Motor is locked up again. It is acting exactly like it did before. I replaced the "Hall Sensor" with a new one and tested the machine PRIOR and AFTER the NEW HALL SENSOR WAS INSTALLED.

After taking the repaired washer to the customers house and hooking up. The homeowner turned the machine on and tried to run a load of wash WITHOUT OPENING THE WATER VALVES?????? Do you think there is a chance the HALL SENSOR BLEW OUT AGAIN due to no water entering the machine?? I unplugged  the machine and tried to run diagnostics. Machine reset and ran for a minute with the water valves now open but now it is not going into HIGH SPEED SPIN or won't even spin at all or Drum will not turn the least. Do you think I need to replace the HALL SENSOR AGAIN or focus on new wiring harness? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 05:01:42 PM »
 :D No on the water valve theory, lol. I am not sure what would have been jarred in the move but if all moving tub components are in line with each other, meaning no wibble wobble anywhere, magnents ok, known good sensor hooked up, it should be running. The ONLY thing that has EVER caused an LE error for ME with no play in tub bearings, is the Hall Sensor.  O0
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:03:44 PM by domain »

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 05:55:47 PM »
<<<The homeowner turned the machine on and tried to run a load of wash WITHOUT OPENING THE WATER VALVES??? Do you think there is a chance the HALL SENSOR BLEW OUT AGAIN due to no water entering the machine??>>>

No. The "new" Hall Effect Sensors do not fail.

<<<I unplugged  the machine and tried to run diagnostics. Machine reset and ran for a minute with the water valves now open but now it is not going into HIGH SPEED SPIN or won't even spin at all or Drum will not turn the least.>>>

Verify that the DRAIN MOTOR is functioning (draining *all* of the water).

Re-Verify that the HALL SENSOR is securely and correctly installed on the STATOR (all locking tabs should be snapped on).

At the rear of the washer---there's a short WIRE HARNESS---two plugs wrapped in a clear bag which runs/routes to the MOTOR and HALL SENSOR.

Turn on the washer.
Select the SPIN SPEED button to fastest spin speed setting.
Press the START button.
Move/wiggle the short-length WIRE HARNESS---if the Motor begins to spin---there's a "break" in one of the wires.
WIRE HARNESS : 6877ER1016B

If the tub does NOT spin at all---after moving the Wire Harness back and forth...

Turn off the washer.
Press and hold the SPIN SPEED and SOIL LEVEL buttons.
Press the POWER button and release all 3 buttons.
Wait for the door to lock (single click sound).
Press the START button 3 times---at one second intervals.
What is showing in the Display?
If the Display shows "0"----replace the MAIN BOARD.
A Serial Number is needed to order the *correct* MAIN BOARD.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »
John63, I envy all of your knowledge when it comes to lg. i thought I knew alot. In your last statement, if while in test mode on the 1st push of the start/play button and the display reads zero with a KNOWN good newer version hall sensor, the main pcb has failed. Am I correct that the zero should be reading tub speed? Usually 40-60 rpm? Any more juicy LG info?? Im authorized;)

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 06:38:46 PM »
Hi domain :)
I "jumped-on-board" with LG almost at the moment they entered the N.American market---and was very fortunate to have (in my opinion) one of the very best Training Engineers---Bob Albright (no longer at LG,unfortunately.)

At a time when *everyone* in all departments within LG were still "on a learning-curve"---Bob was a reliable/consistent source of *definitive answers* to just about *any* possible fault in an LG appliance (Thanks,Bob--if you're ever reading this).

<<<In your last statement, if while in test mode on the 1st push of the start/play button and the display reads zero with a KNOWN good newer version hall sensor, the main pcb has failed. Am I correct that the zero should be reading tub speed? Usually 40-60 rpm?>>>

After entering TEST MODE (and the door locks)---pressing the START *once* will (as I'm sure you know) initiate a test of the DRAIN MOTOR and the tub will tumble---at roughly 43-46 RPMs.

If the DRAIN MOTOR has energized (and is working) but the Display shows "0"...

I use the DMM---to verify power to the MOTOR (Stator) from the MAIN BOARD.

If the MAIN BOARD is "good"---the next area of focus---will be the HALL SENSOR (if the Serial Number is 805 or older)---then the WIRE HARNESS (faulty wire)---then the STATOR (cracked/damaged magnet(s) ).

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 06:47:18 PM »
I can pretty much diagnose any LG appliance within minutes;) been doing it for roughly 1.5 years. I love being one of the only techs who can work on LG! Sorry to thread jack!

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »
I can relate :)

The important thing---is that once a tech becomes trained on LG products---it's unbelievably simple. Intuitive even.

Without "formal" training---and not knowing the "digital" aspect of LG products (and for that matter---any brand today)---is what makes most non-authorized techs frustrated.

Having done warranty for Frigidaire/Electrolux...Speed Queen...Samsung etc---I can confidently state that the quality of LG training (and enthusiasm overall) is without equal.

After 2007---many of those who've been with LG in those early days---are no longer there.
A victim of "belt-tightening"---which always originates at the corporate level of most any company.
Sad to see so many of those "pioneers" leave.
Nevertheless---there's still an atmosphere "esprit de corps" at LG.

Whirlpool Duet Washer - F-30 error code and clunking noise in detergent area.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 13677
Last post November 15, 2009, 09:34:58 AM
by AJ
Kitchenaid Washer F11 Error Code

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 5246
Last post March 23, 2008, 07:06:27 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Maytag Washer F01 Error Code