Author Topic: Temperature alarm not working on Whirlpool Model EV161NZTQ freezer  (Read 1654 times)

Offline turbobob

• VIP Member
Alarm buzzer does not work even with the alarm switch in the TEST position.   Looked at the parts list for this freezer and cannot find the alarm buzzer near the back of the freezer by the compressor as shown in the diagram.
I believe it is located at the right, rear vertical panel in with a bundle of wiring harnesses, but would like to see a picture of the buzzer before taking things apart.
Have looked at several repair parts sites, but none of them have a picture of the alarm buzzer, just the description and price.
Does anyone know where to get a service manual for the Whirlpool Model EV161NZTQ freezer?  That should show me what it looks like and exactly where it is.

Thanks, Bob

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Re: Temperature alarm not working on Whirlpool Model EV161NZTQ freezer
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:51:09 PM »
Could not find a image or service manual, sorry.
Maybe another tech will be able to come up with something for us.

If nothing else when you do find it take a photo of it for us.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline turbobob

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:10:05 PM »
I got the picture of the freezer alarm from another site, PartsDr.com.   Have to give them the credit for taking the time to pull the part from stock and taking an image of it.   :cheers:     I have attached it for future reference.

Now to where it is located.  It is not at the right, rear vertical panel in the back where all of the harnesses are,as I thought it might be.  That is where the defrost timer and the compressor capacitor are.  There is no colored wire harness with a thermocouple clip lead on it in the back.  I suspect it is in the freezer under the covered enclosure where the cooling coil and the evaporator fan motor reside.  That is the only place I can think of for where the thermocouple clip would go (somewhere in that area).

I can't confirm this because I am not about to empty the freezer to remove the panel and take a look, but that is the only other place it can be.  It  is not in the control panel enclosure where the thermostat is, as far as I can see.  The parts diagram does not show the true location for all parts, especially the freezer alarm buzzer and the defrost timer.

Hope this will help someone else in the future.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »
i'm sure your correct as the sensor clip looks as though it is designed to clip on the evap coil. good luck, let us know. O0

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 07:33:51 PM »
I got the picture of the freezer alarm from another site, PartsDr.com.   Have to give them the credit for taking the time to pull the part from stock and taking an image of it. :cheers: I have attached it for future reference.

O0

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
to me, it looks like the Alarm is mounted on the Compressor Pan, to the right of the Compressor
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline turbobob

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 03:55:26 PM »
Yes, that is the way it looks in the parts diagram, but it is 100% wrong, as nothing is even close to that area other than the compressor, compressor parts and the pan itself.

The front diagram is also 100% wrong when it shows the defrost timer being in the front area, but in reality, it is located in the rear, right vertical panel when viewed front the front of the freezer.

These parts diagrams do NOT give exact locations for the parts, to be sure.  That's why I'm guessing the temperature buzzer is located in the evaporator area.  I'll find out soon when I try it.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »
Alarm buzzer does not work
and you've heard it work in the past ?

Offline turbobob

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 12:09:06 PM »
Yes, it has worked in the past.  The freezer was involved in a power surge that also damaged the evaporator fan.  I replaced the fan but never noticed what else was in that area, so everything else was put back together. 

Then I noticed the alarm was not working and was mis-led by the parts diagram into thinking it was located in the back by the compressor area.  Nothing is back there that would have the 4 color leads and the thermocouple sensor on it.  Also took a while to get a picture of what the alarm buzzer looked like, so that hindered my search.

That is why I feel it is in the evaporator coil area, because it isn't anyplace else.  I have the part and will eventually take the freezer apart to get to the evaporator coil area, and hopefully it will be there.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »
... That is why I feel it is in the evaporator coil area
you would think it's "external" so you could hear it ...

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 05:01:14 AM »
Look at your wiring diagram. You should exactly where it is wired in.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »
from the Use & Care Guide
"The temperature monitor alarm is located to the left of the temperature control and sounds an audible alarm
 if the temperature reaches 10F (-12C) or more above normal for the selected setting.
The alarm is controlled by a three position switch."

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 10:28:31 AM »
Its actually useless where it is ,you can barely hear it when it "bings" .

Offline turbobob

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »
I have resolved my issue with the freezer alarm not working, and its location in my model.   O0

The freezer alarm IS located in the control box area as suggested by RegUS_PatOff.  My user guide says the same thing.  Previously, when I took the control box off, I did not remove the thermostat from it to get a better look, because of the short length of the thermostat coil.  This was my first time fixing the freezer and I didn't want to mess anything else up.  Plus, I didn't even know what it looked like.

So today, I took a better look and saw the alarm tucked into the back, then decided to remove the thermostat, and there is was.  I have included photos of it for future reference, and here are the steps I did to replace it.

1.  Shut off thermostat, then unplug freezer from the AC line.
2.  Remove the control box housing the thermostat and alarm switch by removing the two screws that are recessed at the bottom of the control box.
3.  Carefully tilt the box forward enough to see the thermostat, but don't force it or you will damage the coil going into it.  Remove the thermostat knob.
4.  With a small blade screwdriver, gently pry the plastic clips that hold the thermostat, then you can lift it out of the mounting bracket and set the thermostat to the side.
5.  Now you can rotate the control box froward and see the alarm in the rear.  The color blends in with the rest of the box, making it hard to see without the thermostat removed.
6.  Make a color code diagram of the alarm switch leads as they attach to the alarm switch.  The center leads of the switch stay connected.  Only the 4 end leads get connected to the alarm.
7.  Pull off the lug leads one at a time, not all at once, each time replacing them with the good alarm leads of the appropriate colored wire.
8.  Remove the black clip thermocouple sensor lead from the mounting post that the front mounting screw of the control box screws into. The clip is there to allow the sensor to monitor the freezer temperature and trigger the alarm if the temperature goes 10 degrees above the set temperature.
9.  Before removing the two mounting screws from the bad alarm, test the new one by plugging in the AC power and flip the alarm switch to TEST.  No need to turn on the thermostat.  You should hear a "binging" sound.  If so, then you can unplug the AC and remove the mounting screws from the bad alarm and mount the new one.  Put the screws into the alarm first, just slightly coming out of the mounting holes, then mate them with the holes in the control unit inside base.
10.  Carefully put the thermostat back into its holding bracket.  Put the knob back on.
11.  Position the entire control box so the two mounting screws fit securely into the screw posts.
12.  Plug in the AC power, set the thermostat, test the alarm again, and you should be back in business.

Thanks to everyone who had input on this post.  I think we all learned you can never trust wiring diagrams, parts lists, etc. to show exactly where things are since there are so many variations of similar appliance models.  Experience wins all the time, and it's a snap doing it the SECOND time.
 :2funny:

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »
That's awesome! Thanks for taking the time to update your topic with such details and photos.

Job well done!  O0

Video: See if your Whirlpool Ice maker infrared optics control is working.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 33515
Last post August 01, 2007, 12:21:37 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker not working- please help

Started by pudge2824

Replies: 6
Views: 28713
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:00:39 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Freezer Intermittant Cooling