Author Topic: Maytag Neptune mah4000 fills then stops  (Read 3341 times)

Offline nimu23

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune mah4000 fills then stops
« on: October 28, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »
I have a Maytag mah4000 washer for about 10 years now. I started having problems with it about 3 months ago. When I press start, the "door lock" light comes on, water starts entering the machine for about 1 minute and then the machine turns off. The "door lock light goes off after about 30 seconds. Three months ago, if I would press the start button again, the machine would go through a complete cycle. As time went on I would have to press the start button more times for the machine to work through a complete cycle. Now, if I press the start button again, the same thing happens...door locks, water comes in for about 1 minute and then machine turns off. If I keep doing this, there will be one time where the water stops, and I hear the motor surging for about 5 seconds, and then I hear a click in the console, and then the machine turns off.
I lived in Canada and moved to Costa Rica a few years ago and brought the washing machine with me. Maytags are not sold here and no parts either. I've called 2 repair men. Neither even knew how to run diagnostics on the machine. I will have to resolve this on my own.
I got a copy of the mah3000 model (which is also applicable to the mah4000 model).
I verified that the main control board in the console has no signs of anything burning especially R11 and D6.
I inspected the motor control board and also no signs of anything burnt...the fuse was still good.
I plugged in the machine, set the timer to "delay". The delay light came on. I verified that there was 120 volts between the L and N terminals on the motor control board.
I unplugged the machine, disconnected the JP4 interface from the motor control board, plugged in the machine, pressed the on button on the console while keeping the “door closed” sensor near the door latch pressed. The tub started spinning and I timed it at 50 rpm. I pressed stop and then unplugged the machine.
I disconnected the red RD 30 wire from the motor control board and the main control board. I tested continuity…there was zero resistance along the wire.
I then verified continuity of all the wires that go from the main control board to the timer. They were all good.
Reassembled everything and tried running a was cycle.
The machine still behaves the same.
What else can I do?

Offline Ol' Lonely

• Technician
  • The Lonely Repairman
Re: Maytag Neptune mah4000 fills then stops
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »
Check the continuity on the off balance switches.
"Depend on us."

Offline nimu23

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:42:59 AM »
Thanks Ol' Lonely
I think my model is a little different than what is presented in the mah3000 service manual.
The manual says the strut displacement switch is clipped to the top of the left rear strut. I can't see anything attached to either of the 2 rear struts, and no wires attached to them either.

I was able to find the tub displacement switch, but without removing the side panel, I can't see any way to get my hand in there to test the switch. Is there a simple way to access this switch?

I also found a switch in placed series with the tub displacement switch that is attached to the bottom front edge of the outer tub (very easy access) with the switch pointing down (I guess this checks how much the springs are stretching). I unplugged the machine, removed the 2 connectors to this bottom front switch.
Without pressing the button, I read zero resistance (continuity). With the button pressed, I read 1 (no continuity). Is this what should be happenning?

With only the front panel removed and the rear access panel removed, I can not locate the inertial unbalance switch. Would I have to remove any other panel to find this switch?

Offline Ol' Lonely

• Technician
  • The Lonely Repairman
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »
Them switches are all in series. You can follow the wire harness from the switches up to the control panel on top the washer.

There will be a quick disconnect on the wire harness for the switches. Disconnect the wire harness and check for continuity on the wire harness that leads to all the switches. The circuit for the harness and all the switches should be closed so you will read continuity. If a switch gets bumped when the washer gets out of balance it opens the switch and stops the washer from spinning.

To test the washer you can also unplug the switches at the quick disconnect on the wire harness in the control panel and put a jumper wire in it's place. If the washer spins with the switches jumped out then you need to track down what switch is giving you the problem.
"Depend on us."

Offline nimu23

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »
I jumped the wires as you said. I tried a wash cycle and it seems to have completed it correctly.
Tomorrow I will try other options during the wash cycle to seem how it goes.
Thank you very much for the help...much appreciated.

Now I have to narrow down where the problem lies with respect to continuity through those switched aand wires.
If I determine that a switch is the problem where can I go get the part number I need for my particular machine...I've read that for the mah4000, I will need the serial number to determine the correct part.

Offline Ol' Lonely

• Technician
  • The Lonely Repairman
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:09:52 PM »
If I determine that a switch is the problem where can I go get the part number

Maytag Washing Machine Model MAH4000AWW Parts

There is also a parts search box at the top of appliancejunk.com

The old part should also have the part number stamped on it.

"Depend on us."

Offline nimu23

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:01 AM »
Sorry to bother you again.
Since our last communication, I've done about 8 small loads using the jumper cable without a problem.
All seemed to work properly.
This morning though, I'm back to the same symptoms as before.
I pressed on, water entered, the door locked, and then shut off.
I pressed on again, more water entered, the door locked, and then the machine jumped to one side.
I verified the jumper wire I used and that it is well connected to the connector.
I unplugged the machine for about a minute and replugged it.
I pressed on, I hear humming for about 1 minute and then it shuts off.
Can you suggest anything else?

Offline Ol' Lonely

• Technician
  • The Lonely Repairman
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »
Since our last communication, I've done about 8 small loads using the jumper cable without a problem.
All seemed to work properly.

It should only be jumped out for testing and not left jumped out so you can do 8 loads of laundry.
The switches you jumped out your there for your safety and to keep the machine from damaging itself if it gets out of balance.

After jumping it out and verifying that the washer worked the first time I would have did some troubleshooting with a multimeter to find out what switch needed to be replaced. Then replaced the bad switch and put the washer back together.

"Depend on us."

Offline nimu23

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 11:30:24 AM »
The loads of laudry that were done were very small and I was just testing the various options on the controls to see that they all worked properly.  Also, I was present throughout every spin cycles with the front and rear access panels open to make sure the spinning was not too unbalanced. I am aware that the sensors are there for saftey, and I wasn't intending to use the machine in that state. I should have made that clear on my previous post.

Offline Ol' Lonely

• Technician
  • The Lonely Repairman
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
 O0

If you have it jumped out at the quick disconnect on the wire harness I have seen bad connections at the quick disconnects.
I have cut out the quick disconnects and wire nut the harness together.
"Depend on us."

Offline nimu23

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 07:17:58 AM »
I cut out the connector and joined the wires together.
I still have the same symptoms. I had to push the start button several times to get the machine to work.
I also checked the continuity of the 3 wires that I had joined and the are all OK.
It seems there is something else wrong apart from those sensor switches.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 12:34:31 AM »
If I recall correctly, the Neptunes would shut off if they did not sense the proper fill. That is also a symptom of a bad motor. All though usually the motor would be dead.

Offline nimu23

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 08:11:17 AM »
I already checked the motor by disconnecting the JP4 connector on the motor control board. I timed the rpms and they came out to 52 (the service manual says 50) so I boubt the motor is the problem.
I notice that when I press the start bottom the second or even the third time, water is still entering the machine. With successive attempts, the water stops filling. I checked how fast the water is comming in and it is at a good pace.
I also notice that when I press start, I hear a humming sound, almost like something is stuck and forcing.
Occasionally after pressing the start button, the hear the motor surge, and sometimes the machine jerks so hard that one side of the machine lifts off the floor a little bit.

Offline nimu23

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 10:46:26 AM »
If noboby has any suggestions, I will have to get a new washer tomorrow....Anybody?

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »
Did you ohm out your motor control ?

Maytag Atlantis Washer, fills starts stops

Started by crazeddad

Replies: 10
Views: 5892
Last post August 17, 2008, 09:57:54 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag Neptune MAH4000 door lock all the time