Author Topic: can somebody help----latch kit on whirlpool oven model gmc275pdq1  (Read 770 times)

Offline kevinmac1956

• VIP Member
i can see the part that needs replacing and have the replacement part in my hand but cant figure out how to install it. this unit has a big lower oven with a defective oven latch assembly. sitting on top of the oven looking like a small upper oven is actually a microwave oven. i removed the two corner screws and removed a plastic cover panel between the two ovens,  about an inch wie by 30 inch long black plastic piece ,then i removed from the center two screws that appeear to be holding the latch mechanism in place only to discover that two more screws go vertically down into cabinet also holding latch assembly in place (on the inside ,behind the cover plate ) i could barely get my finger in there but felt two phillip heads going straight down and sure enough i looked at the new part in my hand and not only are there two holes on the front side to accomadate screws but two more up on top for screws to secure it straight down. problem being i cant get a phillips head bit even in that space to remove screws and not sure there is a gap big enough to slip out the old latch assembly if i could (solenoidsw and switches all over the latch assembly). Do i have to remove the microwave to access this area and if so how do i do it. it looks like its really built almost as one unit didnt see a way to remove screws and just slide it out. has anybody had this same experience and if so how did you get to it to fix it? any help greatly appreciated.

Offline donsabol

• Technician
Re: can somebody help----latch kit on whirlpool oven model gmc275pdq1
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:56:04 PM »
i looked at your model on line and doing this for 30 years..its just not a part i change every week.
but you may have to pull out and take off the microwave..

Offline kevinmac1956

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 05:32:54 PM »
thats about what ive decidedtoo. crying shame , if they had just left an inch more of space to work with would have been about a five minute fix instead of a federal case. thanks for trying to help though,i appreciate it.

Offline donsabol

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:48:31 PM »
been there done that .... thats why god created applaince techs.
wait till you see what they done to refrigerators    :tickedoff:

whirlpool oven model RBS305PDB6

Started by kevinmac1956

Replies: 2
Views: 860
Last post October 31, 2012, 11:41:44 PM
by kevinmac1956
Service Manual For Whirlpool Electric Oven Model #WFE381LVS

Started by iceman

Replies: 4
Views: 1087
Last post September 01, 2012, 08:03:05 AM