365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros

Author Topic: online training  (Read 154 times)

Offline twayneb

• Technician
online training
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »
 With most manufactures or at least the ones i do warranty service for have gone to online service training. I wanted to get others thoughts on how they like it overall. I am sitting here doing wpl fall trainig today and just wondered what other techs thought on the industry as a whole seeming to be trending to more web based training.  on a side note,   service matters website by the way is a nightmare for me to navigate.

Online LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: online training
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »
We don't get factory training any more. We're lucky to get a brochure or have the model number in our system when we see a product for the first time.  I did get to go to an LG training last year.  I didn't learn anything new. I did get access to the LG Tech Assist site though.  And got a free lunch...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:35:21 PM »
Just before going out on my own I seen one online training coarse.

They may have changed a lot since then, but what I did not like about the coarse was there was no hands on. I also missed getting together with the other techs face to face. A lot of times I would learn more new tricks of the trade over lunch break then during the training coarse.

on a side note,   service matters website by the way is a nightmare for me to navigate.

I agree with you there.

LowSL2, I kind of imaged the sears techs getting catered to in the training department by the appliance manufactures considering how many appliance sears must move for them every year.

I think it would be to the manufactures advantage to open up factory training to more people in our trade. But it seems as if they are going the other direction with training and in the long run the appliance repair industry may just suffer from a lack of trained technicians.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »
I am sitting here doing wpl fall trainig today

btw: how did training go today?
Anything new you can share with us?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline twayneb

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 06:38:33 PM »
first time i've done web based training  for service that was live i have accessed some recorded sessions before. First i would say the thing i missed the most was interaction with other techs that is how you can really learn some things. q&a was a bit awkward phones not being muted etc.. The content for first session was cooking mostly inverter microwaves and induction cooking, second section 30 and 36 in french door refs, third section vmw washers and alpha frt loads. didn't come away with any great revelations i do understand a little bit better some of the what i call ticks of the vmw a little better. today was no teardown only diagnostics on all products. one interesting thing was the recommendation of wpl to do live voltage tests. the main thing i came away with is how easy most of these units are becoming to troubleshoot if you can read wiring diagrams and know how to use a meter. basic inputs and outputs. any particular questions about those products listed above i will try to answer. i wish i was a little better with the computer as most of the sessions are recorded would love to get em to you guys.  sorry about the rambling i guess after hearing someone else talk all day i wanted my turn :D

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »
I would like any training, would LOVE some training on LG. It seems there are a lot more out there now especially with SEARS going that way. I belong to United Servicers Assoc. and every year they give 2 days training on various machines. We did VMW and front load washers and minor refrig last year. Ge refrigeration last year. And Bosch dishwashers. This year same VMW (no tear down though, but already working on them so no biggie) That was it for W/P . Bosch was about the newer machines and again no tear down but did those last year. And DACOR (which surprised me because they are not a bad machine.) Actually use BRASS gas valves on their gas ranges. About the same quality as the high end ranges. A lot of good info. from other techs.  I remember at least 1 service school per manufacturer a year, now none. Even video tear down CD's helped.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 02:23:11 AM »
I agree,  online line training is not a substitute for the classroom,  where you can tear a machine down,  talk to other techs,  mingle.   We used to get a lot of training classes here,  but the last one offered was the VMW over a year ago.    I used to go to all of the classes.   Now,  I just do my own research.   And thank goodness AJ set up this site,   we can all help each other.    I do miss training, however,  and guys .......... I don't think these companies are ever gonna spend money anymore for a trainer to go from city to city to train techs.   It's all about bottom line with them.     CASH. 
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline Ol' Lonely

• Technician
  • The Lonely Repairman
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
How will having inadequately trained technicians help their bottom line?
"Depend on us."

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 05:27:29 AM »
Is there a web site for this type of training that you can share? Thanks. I'm interested in the new whirlpool line, especially refrigerators.

Offline darkbrewer

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 08:07:32 PM »
I'm new to working as a service tech  full time, and I would like to concentrate  my efforts in be coming a factory certified installer/service  technician of  high-end kitchen appliances ( Viking,Sub-zero,Wolf etc..), But having some trouble finding some info on where to start.Looking for help please.
 :thanks:

2011 Spring Training Online - Service Matters University.

Started by AJ

Replies: 4
Views: 135
Last post August 25, 2011, 12:06:16 PM
by AJ
Anyone Interested in a LG Training Manual - Electric Range

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 116
Last post April 10, 2008, 03:00:33 PM
by JWWebster
Back online....

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 19
Last post July 31, 2008, 07:34:37 PM
by JWWebster
What do you think about loaning out a meter online?

Started by AJ

Replies: 22
Views: 132
Last post February 01, 2009, 11:35:46 AM
by JWWebster
Electrical Training

Started by Icehouse

Replies: 0
Views: 29
Last post February 16, 2009, 09:00:49 AM
by Icehouse
Servicer Training Convention 2010- Orlando