365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Dishwasher repairs and installs?  (Read 230 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Dishwasher repairs and installs?
« on: October 18, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »
After going out on my own I stopped doing dishwasher installs, before that I did them for 20 years. I find myself busy enough without having to do installs and I enjoy repair work far more then I do installs.

I just finished up another dishwasher call today that reminded me about wanting to post this question.

Being I don't install dishwasher anymore I'm never sure were to draw the line on dishwasher repairs.

This is my dilemma, I have the access panel off the dishwasher and notice there is no strain relief on the power cord.

The dishwasher drain hose and water line are twisted up like pretzels. The dishwasher has been like this for 10+ years.

I could take the extra time and straighten someone else mess out, but what I'm I going to get out of it?
It's hard to convince the customer it's not right when it's been just fine that way for so long and it's hard to bill them any extra for the time it takes to do.

Then there is always the chance the the seal on the water flex line is going to leak after you unhook it to remove the knots in it and hook it back up. When that happens then I need to replace the line and then again try and bill the customer for something that they don't think they needed to start with.

So what are you guys doing in cases like?
Do you straighten out bad dishwasher installs?
Are you billing the customer for the extra time it takes?

Do you leave it as is, repair the problem with the dishwasher and move on to the next call.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Dishwasher repairs and installs?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:51:21 PM »
I advise the customer of the issue and ask if they would like me to fix it. Give them an estimate and go from there. If they say yes, more money for you. If they decline the additional work, you've covered your butt and made them aware of it. That way when they call back in a month because the dishwasher isn't working and you find a clog in the pretzel mess, you can tell them it isn't covered under the guarantee. Give them an estimate and go from there.

I live in a state where you have to give estimates before you begin work. I always update the estimate during the process, call the customer in and show them what's going on, explain the estimate and explain what can go wrong if you pull the d/w out. That way there's no confusion.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:20:23 PM »
Good plan, thanks.
Some of the worst dishwasher installs I have seen our being done by one of our local plumbers that has been in the business for over 25 years.

He called me one day to go out and look at a new dishwasher he had installed because it was leaking.

Ended up he pulled a small rubber hose off the dishwasher when he installed it. He must not have even run the thing after he got done installing it as the home owner was the first one to report the leak.

As we slid the dishwasher back in place he starts instructing me to connect the water line under the dishwasher and he will plug it in under the sink.
I'm thinking, "Hey buddy, who's the plumber here?" lol

What ever, he paid my bill when I was done so it ended well. :)

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »
I was on a call 3days ago for a dead dishwasher, come to find out when I arrived still under manufacturer warranty.  Customer mentioned that this happened before, He jiggled the supply cord & it became allive.  Did not work this time.  I said that if I worked on the unit that I would comprimise the warranty.  Told them I would check the supply cord connections.  As I investigated they told me they purchased it from the local Lowes & mentioned the service people who installed unit.  A local independent who handles all of Lowes warrenty work & installs (I approached them before about doing their service work).

What I found was a very poor install job.  The junction box was screwed into 1/4inch paneling with a 2 inch drywall screw. Box flopping loose.  The junction was wired with wire nuts where the electric lines were not twisted together, making a touch & go connection.  The hot side wire nut was burned in two because of the haphazard connection.  The ground wire was non existant, cut off flush with the cable.  I could go on.

I charged my normal service call plus an extra 10.  I straigtened out the wiring & ran a ground wire.  Could of, should have collected more but it did not take me long to do the work & I repaired their dryer less than a month before.   Great Old Fashion Hometown Service at a reasonable price.   My reputation gets bigger & the competition...lucky the house dide not burn.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:04:26 PM »
No cord restraint YOU BETTER BELIEVE I FIX IT! Had another company (may they rest in peace) that didn't put one on after repairing the dishwasher and it burned the house down. Guess what, They were responsible as they were the last one to work on it. Were sued, lost, and went bankrupt.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
No cord restraint YOU BETTER BELIEVE I FIX IT! Had another company (may they rest in peace) that didn't put one on after repairing the dishwasher and it burned the house down. Guess what, They were responsible as they were the last one to work on it. Were sued, lost, and went bankrupt.

Do you always check for a cord restraint through on every dishwasher you work on?
There are many times I don't even have to remove the access panel to repair a dishwasher so I never even see the power cord let alone if there is a restraint on it or not.

Now that I think about it I probably miss a a lot of dryer and range cords that don't have them on too.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »
No I don't make it a habit to check.  But those I do I find the majority do not have the restraint.   I carry plenty of the smaller sizes with me (get them at Walmart, package of 10 for less than $3 including tax) so if I do have to work on power cords I install them.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 02:34:40 AM »
I agree with LowSL and Patricio.    I find bad installs all of the time.    The guys from Lowes,  Home Depot, etc.  are  hacks.    They slap them in as fast as they can.    Years ago,  I checked out doing installs for Lowes.   At the time,  maybe 10 years ago,  they only paid 40 dollars an install.    I told them they must be joking,  no thanks.   

Anyways,  if I find one,  I do notify the customer,   and ask if they would like me to repair it and tell them how much it will cost.    Most decline,  but hey,  I am honest and told them.    I don't really look at the strain relief,  but if I do notice it I tell the customer.    I keep a bunch of them in a box in my truck.   

I only install them ocassionaly,   usually tell them to get the place they bought it to install.    I quote them a higher price than Lowes,  but tell them I will do the job slow and right.     I don't like doing them anymore.  Easier to do a repair than messing around with the dishwasher installs.    Once in a while,  a long time customer wants me to do it,  and will pay me.   So,  then I suck it up and do it for them but I really don't like doing them.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »
Any dishwasher I service UNDER the lower panel I check. Not my liability working elsewhere on the machine. They can't say " he did something while he was down there. On ranges and dryers at least they use loop terminals harder to pull off.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
If it can be a safety issue, I fix it and bill.  I'm pretty good with stories about how things can go wrong, and how I have the responsibility to fix it.

Recently, I was on a dishwasher call, and they asked me to check the stove, 'cause the burners weren't getting hot.  I found a joke of a work around for a bad receptacle, and three burners with no supports.

I repaired the receptacle, and mentioned "Scalding Hazard" to the LL, and they said fix it.

Anything that I would let slide still gets noted on the work invoice, with the fact the LL said pass.  Anything I won't let slide, I won't do the machine.  (but I knock of half my service call, just to be cool).

Embarrassing Dishwasher call

Started by Repair-man

Replies: 16
Views: 265
Last post March 17, 2013, 11:03:36 PM
by JWWebster
Manual for Asko dishwasher?

Started by Repair-man

Replies: 8
Views: 116
Last post September 12, 2010, 11:54:31 PM
by MajorApp