Author Topic: What's in your bag? What kind of test meters do you have?  (Read 4432 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: What's in your bag? What kind of test meters do you have?
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »
I'll check and post model number on craftsman IR.  I know its range top limit is 1000 degrees.   They sell one good up to 1400 degrees,  but I think that's only needed for auto repair.

One thing I have noticed on a lot of IR thermometers that are under $100 is the low end cuts off at 0 Deg. F.
For what I use it for the high end is not such a big deal as I'm just checking to see if something is getting hot or not, such as a defrost heater for example.

On the low end I could say something similar, thing that I'm just using the IR thermometer to see if something is starting to cool or not.
But when I'm trying to show the customer that the freezer side of there refrigerator is cold enough I don't think it impresses them so much when my IR thermometer does  not display a reading because the freezer is just below 0 Deg. F. and my IR thermometer cuts out at 0. Then I have to explain to them why that is, lol...

I think one thing I will like on the Fluke 62 mini I order besides the size of the unit is the low end of the temp range as it goes from -20 to 932 Deg. F.

I like to show my customers the IR thermometer. I think it's easier for them to understand that a defrost heater is working when they see the temp reading vs a clamp on amp meter, or a dryer is heating, hidden bake element is now working, compressor temps before and after cleaning coils, etc...

All simple things for us to understand or to check different and/or better ways, but a quick visual reading with a IR thermometer is something my customers just seem to like.

Here is a meter I think would make a great replacement for my everyday Fluke and old analog clamp meter.
http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Clamp-Meters/Fluke-902.htm?PID=56151

Voltage AC/DC
Curent AC/DC
Resistance
Continuity
Temperature (Type K Thermocouple)
Capacitance
Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 01:37:20 AM »
AJ, model of my IR craftsman is 50466  -  It's range is -58 to 1000 degrees.    I do use it all the time in freezers.   On Ge refrigerators with the boards,  when unit goes into pre-chill before defrost,  I have caught it and registered temps of -15 to -25 degrees in the freezer.    It Really works great.   One thing I have found,  don't let battery's get too worn.    Replace often  I always keep 2 or 3 extra 9 volt batteries in my meter case.   

I agree with you,  I like to show customer what's going on and the IR helps deliver.    I actually had 2 of these IR's (I bought them years ago on sale at sears) but somehow the 2nd one either grew legs or it's somewhere in my garage and if you saw my garage,  you would understand why it might take days, weeksmonths,  I mean YEARS to find where it is.   Who knows.............one day,  I might actually find the second one I had.   

AJ, damn you, you had to show me a picture of that fluke.   Now I want it.   It does everything.   I saw that exact meter at the sears by us.   I didn't really look too good at it,  but now I'm gonna check it out this weekend.    Might just have to add it to my collection.    I like it.   

Here are the pics of the rest of my meters.    A fluke clamparound (older model but works excellent), Amprobe,  amprobe stick (non contact volt - amp meter), A Centech VOM (in black case),  test leads,  test cords,  a little Radio shack non digital VOM with Clamp around amp attachment
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 01:46:22 AM »
Heres a couple of my other test equipment and tools - My Tiff gas / CO sniffer.    Comes in handy when customer complaints about gas leaks,   CO testers going off from stove,   etc.    You can show customer how an open burner flame produces CO and make them understand.     

Also,  my Craftsman Electric impact gun.   I have a full set of impact sockets,  plus the two big sockets to the left fit the Speed Queen Washer nut and the GE Profile nut.    Works great,   way, way better than a spanner wrench and beating on that thing for a half an hour before breaking nut off.   

Also,  my little compressor.    I have a blow gun attachment and use it to blow out motors,  lint in dryers,  Use it alot on big commercial dryers to blow out Drop coin units and control panels.   

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 01:54:34 AM »
Heres a brighter picture of the impact gun

also, my last straggler meter.    I keep this one in Steamer bag with a couple of tools.   Sometimes,  I just grab that bag and don't need to take in my regular tool box.    In the bag,  I also keep an assortment of defrost stats,  timers,  soldierless terminals,  wire,  etc.   If I get a call for a refrigerator leaking into the fresh food,   I just walk in with this bag.   

That wraps up my meters.   Until................I buy that Fluke this weekend .   Maybe. ..............

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 08:28:18 AM »
AJ, model of my IR craftsman is 50466  -  It's range is -58 to 1000 degrees.

Well that's interesting, because I was looking at that one to before I went ahead and ordered the Fluke 62 mini, but ordered the Fluke because this is what the sears site said about it's range.

Measures from 0 to 1000 deg. F or -18 to 538 deg. C with 2% accuracy

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-infrared-thermometer/p-03450466000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Just this morning when looking at it again I notice the link for the owners manual. In the owner manual it says, -58 to 1000

Carp! Now I want it, lol...

I may just have to get that one too.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 08:31:54 AM »
Just notice on the sears site if I zoom in on the photo I can see it reads on the side of the thermometer, -58 to 1000

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 08:33:28 AM »
That wraps up my meters.   Until................I buy that Fluke this weekend .   Maybe. ..............

You should buy it so you can let the rest of us know how you like it. :)

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 06:38:43 AM »
AJ, your as bad as me.   I'm a tool junkie.   Craftsman works excellent, I've been using it for a long time.    I'm gonna look at that fluke amp/Vom/temp meter.   I like the fact it can measure capacitance,  I don't really have one that will do that now.   

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »

AJ, your as bad as me.   I'm a tool junkie.   Craftsman works excellent, I've been using it for a long time.    I'm gonna look at that fluke amp/Vom/temp meter.   I like the fact it can measure capacitance,  I don't really have one that will do that now.   

Tool junkie...  :2funny:

Thats me...

I think you would love that meter. :)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »
 :popcorn:

Durable multimeter test lead probes

Started by Tony Fuentes

Replies: 3
Views: 2461
Last post March 23, 2014, 10:41:20 PM
by AJ
Dewalt XR Drill/Driver DCD790 Compact Brushless Drilling Test

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2570
Last post June 23, 2014, 06:41:08 PM
by AJ
using a generator for power to test dryers

Started by Khalid703

Replies: 2
Views: 762
Last post September 03, 2014, 12:26:11 PM
by Khalid703
20% Off Select Extech Test and Measurement Tools Nov 1st - Dec. 31st.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 366
Last post November 11, 2014, 07:09:39 PM
by AJ