Author Topic: LSQ9110PW3 Not Spinning  (Read 2436 times)

Offline jrclancyjr

• VIP Member
LSQ9110PW3 Not Spinning
« on: October 15, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »
Ok I have exhausted youtube, google and other repair sites.

The washer stopped spinning over the weekend, does everything else and you can hear the motor trying to spin during the spin cycle. So I took a look at the coupler and the plastic pieces are intact, no visible cracks or breaks and no appearant sign of rounding out.

There are some bits and pieces of the black rubber piece on them but no signs of damage to the rubber piece.

So I moved on to the clutch and here is where I am stuck, how do I know if the clutch is bad? I dont want to waste money on a clutch if there is nothing wrong with this one and the real problem is the transmission.

Normally I would just say screw it and buy another washing machine but being that I got laid off on Thursday this is not an option, I have really no idea what I am doing (this is the first time I have even attempted at taking a washing machine or any appliance apart) but being a fast learner the videos and other information on the net has helped tremendously.

Thank you in advance for any help you could provide.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:43:22 AM by jrclancyjr »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: LSQ9110PW3 Not Spinning
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:56:56 AM »
Hi, sorry to hear about you getting laid off.

Does the washer tub try and spin at all?

Beside the clutch there could be something stuck between the tub and basket keeping it from spinning.
Feel with your hand around the top of the tub to see if you can get lucky and feel something stuck between the two.

If I could not find anything stuck between the tub and basket I would then run the washer in the spin cycle with the cabinet off and the lid switch bypassed.

With the cabinet off and the washer running in the spin cycle I would look at the clutch to see if it's spinning around.

If the clutch is spinning around and the washer basket is not spinning then I would suspect the clutch is slipping.
If the clutch is not spinning then you have a problem with the transmission.

You could also remove the agitator and check the drive block in the spin cycle to make sure it's not stripped out. Most of the time if the drive block is stripped out the washer will be really noisy during the spin cycle.

Your washer uses...

Clutch part # 285785

Drive Block part # 389140

Let us know what you find or if you have any other questions.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »
Tilt the washer back and look at the clutch while in spin.  If the clutch is not spinning, you have a bad transmission.

Offline jrclancyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:55:44 PM »
Ok so I put it back together minus the agitator and low and behold everything is spinning. Push the button in hear the brake click basket stops.

So out of caution I turn it back on to make sure it wasnt a fluke and this time the basket does not spin. The clutch however is spinning its butt off

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
I carry a tub block on my truck because I replace them regularly. I think that would be next. Pull the agitator off.  The tub block is the piece that has the big nut on it. The spin tub that comes up from below has two ears that fit into two recesses on the block. You should be able to see the tube spinning inside the block. It may be gunked up so wipe it off as needed.

Offline jrclancyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:22:02 AM »
Ok finished with the job interview got the sick wife and kids taken care of time to dive back into the washer

Ok I could not figure out the tub block bailey I did not see anything with a big nut on it.

But I turned the clutch alittle bit and started it back up it started spinning perfectly, I let it run through the entire spin cycle, it stopped on its own. After it stopped I started it again and it started right back up spinning, let it spin for a minute then stopped it myself. Tried to start it up again and it would not start spinning this time.

So I stopped it, I manually spun the basket clockwise heard click come from underneath. So I turned the spin cycle back on and it started working just fine.

Sounds like the clutch right?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:28:25 AM »
Ok I could not figure out the tub block bailey I did not see anything with a big nut on it.

Drive Block Help Video

Offline jrclancyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:55:53 AM »

Drive Block Help Video

I was looking for a regular big ole nut.

The spanner wrench that he uses in the video if I dont have one of those and cant find any place to go get one (sears and lowes here do not carry it) is there something else I can use to get it off without messing it up?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »

You do not have to remove the nut just to see if the drive block is stripped out.
With the agitator removed you can just look down on the top of the drive block to inspect it.

There are two notches in the drive block the slip over the two tabs on top the spin tube.
Sometimes the two notches get stripped out and then the spin tube can not spin the block.
If the block don't spin the tub won't spin because that big spanner nut holds the tub and block together.

I have only ever used a spanner wrench to remove the nut, part # TB123A

I'm sure some guys will let you know that you can use a flat blade screw drive or a punch to remove it, but that's not the way I do it.
If you do remove it you want to make sure to get it nice and tight when you put it back on and once again the spanner wrench comes in handy for that too.

Offline jrclancyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »

There are two notches in the drive block the slip over the two tabs on top the spin tube.
Sometimes the two notches get stripped out and then the spin tube can not spin the block.
If the block don't spin the tub won't spin because that big spanner nut holds the tub and block together.

It does not appear to be stripped. If it was stripped would the spin tube still be spinning and just not spinning the basket?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »
It does not appear to be stripped. If it was stripped would the spin tube still be spinning and just not spinning the basket?

Yes, that is correct.

Unless you have something funny going on with the transmission I would say it sounds like you need to replace the clutch.
I replace far more clutches then a do transmission, very common part and repair.

Offline jrclancyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »

Yes, that is correct.

Unless you have something funny going on with the transmission I would say it sounds like you need to replace the clutch.
I replace far more clutches then a do transmission, very common part and repair.

Ok the spin tube is not spinning  unless the basket is spinning too.

When it wont spin, if I manually turn the basket half a rotation I hear a little click and then it will start spinning when I turn the washer on.

Gonna replace the clutch then!!!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!! I have really enjoyed myself taking this thing apart and watching the videos and getting info from y'all!!

This site has been a TREMENDOUS HELP and I will pass along your praises to anyone that needs help with their appliances!!!!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
Let us know how it turns out for you.

Offline jrclancyjr

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »
Let us know how it turns out for you.

Well it was the clutch...put the new one in and now it spins like a champ, so I put the machine back together and started to wash a load and then

water started leaking out, water with soap in it so I know its coming from the tub and not the hoses, also the water would not stop filling up went WAY beyond the small load amount.

Did I break something else or not put it back together right?

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »
check your pressure switch hose, sounds like it came off!

Kenmore Elite Top of the Line quit spinning

Started by Bishop

Replies: 11
Views: 8188
Last post September 06, 2007, 05:24:55 PM
by AJ
agitator not spinning

Started by whit

Replies: 2
Views: 2502
Last post October 22, 2007, 06:21:57 PM
by Pegi