Author Topic: washer not going on high spin  (Read 1582 times)

Offline frenchy 111

• VIP Member
washer not going on high spin
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:08:58 AM »
my GE washer # WCSR4170G0CC it's not going to high speed why

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
Re: washer not going on high spin
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 09:57:08 AM »
  Possible brake resistor failure on the motor/inverter (depends on which model year yours is, need serial number) which will cause an error code on the inverter and limit the speed to 50 rpm. First try an error code reset by unplugging washer for one minute, plug back in and open and close the lid five times within 12 seconds. If this doesn't work, you will need to open the front of the washer and check the LED indicator on the inverter board above the motor for any error codes being flashed.

Eric
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:05:22 AM by fairbank56 »

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »

Looks like your washer is a newer model (2010-2012)? that has a newer type motor/inverter without the brake resistor. Not sure if error code reset works the same on these models but give it a try. If not, check for error flashes on LED indicator.

Eric

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »
FB if the brake resister is not on the latest model did they go to a locking lid switch config?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:51:21 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 10:08:02 PM »
FB if the brake resister is not on the latest model did they go to a locking lid switch config?

Can't say for sure as I have not seen one in person, just going by parts diagrams and part lists online. The OP's model does not show as having a lid lock and shows the motor/inverter as #WH20X10057. Various images of this part number show some having the resistor and some not. Online images do not always show the actual product and are often used just for reference. My understanding is that the new motor/inverter without the resistor was introduced sometime in 2010. I have seen parts diagram of a recent model washer that has the motor/inverter without the resistor and still not showing a lid lock. The resistor is mounted into the metal plate that is mounted over the top of the inverter. When viewing the top of the motor it shows as a large rectangular hump in the plate. The new model motor/inverters do not have this hump as the resistor has been eliminated. Also, the error code LED is red and is viewed from the right side under a flap on the new inverters.

The 50 rpm that I mentioned as a consequence of a brake resistor error code is extremely slow. It may be that the motor is overheating which gives a different error code but will still allow the motor to operate at a reduced speed. The easiest thing to do is to just do an error code reset. Sometimes error codes are set due to a power surge or intermittent problem. If that fails, then the OP needs to look at the inverter LED for an error code.

Eric
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:11:45 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »

The date from the instruction manual for the WCSR4170G0CC is 2006, so it does have the brake resistor.

Eric

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 11:13:30 PM »
FYI: I bypassed the magnetic lid switch on a few of em so far. It works fine.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 06:49:10 AM »

The replacement motor/inverter part number for the OP's washer, WH20X10057, is in fact one of the new type motors without the brake resistor. Whether this washer came with this type is in question, easily determined by visual inspection of the motor.

I have come across two technical bulletins concerning the new inverter motors. The first is dated August 2010 and the other is revised January 2011. It lists the old and new inverter motor part numbers. It also indicates that the wiring harness fuse link must be removed due to the higher in-rush current of the new motor design. A jumper wire kit is supplied with the new replacement motors. The drip shield over the top of the new motor covers the front of the inverter board which is why the error code LED was relocated to the right side.

Eric

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 07:50:37 AM »

The brake resistor is not used for "braking" the motor, it is used to dissipate the power being regenerated by the slowing motor. There are other methods for taking care of this problem of an AC PWM motor acting as a generator when it is not being rotated by the applied power but being rotated by an external force, in this case of the spinning tub. If the resistor fails, the rpm of the motor is restricted to a very low speed so that when the spin cycle stops, the motor will quickly stop. This limits the regenerated power to prevent the inverter from being damaged. Doesn't do you much good though as you can't just buy a replacement resistor. You  have to replace the whole motor/inverter anyway  ::)

Eric

Maytag washer noise during high speed spin

Started by madbchron

Replies: 2
Views: 3146
Last post February 05, 2008, 10:03:59 AM
by JWWebster
washer spins but no high speed spin

Started by Big Arn

Replies: 4
Views: 4784
Last post September 13, 2008, 12:49:01 PM
by Big Arn
Kenmore 41744052401 washer - No high speed spin.

Started by ALTANertive

Replies: 2
Views: 3486
Last post February 02, 2009, 09:17:47 PM
by ALTANertive
Washer does not enter high speed spin!

Started by mdsarazin

Replies: 11
Views: 7279
Last post February 19, 2009, 11:46:18 PM
by mdsarazin
Frigidaire Washer wont do high speed spin.

Started by nick1247

Replies: 5
Views: 5537
Last post November 07, 2009, 06:34:03 PM
by krazytech
Whirlpool washer - no high speed spin

Started by GerryW

Replies: 11
Views: 7377
Last post October 30, 2009, 10:08:48 PM
by JWWebster