Author Topic: Whirlpool side by side ice door not opening- many repairs attempted  (Read 1299 times)

Offline ericvq

• VIP Member
Whirlpool side by side GS6NVEXSL01.  My original ice door dispenser motor went out after having the fridge for 5 years. I replaced it and it lasted about 2 months and I replaced it again and it has lasted about the same amount of time and died again. The motor is getting power but it is not turning. The motor shaft seems frozen in one position and when I take it out turn it by hand back to original position and reinstall it, it will work for a few times and then jam again.  Last thing I did was replace the motor and the dispenser control board at the same time and it lasted 2 days and same problem.  The connector, support, and door all seem fine- could something be off just a bit to cause this to happen or could it be the other conrol board?  Any ideas.  Tearing out my hair ;-)   Thanks!

Offline PerrysRepair

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool side by side ice door not opening- many repairs attempted
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Is the door sealing properly?

Offline ericvq

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 07:29:03 AM »
Thank you for the repoly.  Fridge door seals fine.  The ice flapper door seals fine when the motor is working as it is supposed to. When the motor goes out of whack, the ice flapper door is overtightened and I need to reposition the motor by hand to have it work again and then it becomes stuck once more.  When it is overtightened, it ceases to operate.  I did order the parts for the flapper and connector and will install this evening to see if it helps.  Only thing left after that would be the fountain control board but I do not know whether this has anything to do with the ice door and don't have the $120 or more to spend on it. 

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:44:53 PM »
Good luck with this. I had one doing the same thing. Replaced the motor. Worked fine. Untill the next day. Sure enough the motor would not open the door. Since the motor plugs into the main board I replaced that. Worked fine. Untill the next day.I called a tech I know who works on the whirlpool tech line. He said to replace the fountain control board. I did and it worked fine. Untill the next day. I called him back and he says too bad its not under warranty because at this point I should replace the whole door. I told the customer to call an authorized repair service. That was before I found this site. When i saw this topic I was hoping someone had a fix.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
Wonder if it would have made a difference if the motor and main board had both been replaced at the same time.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:30:22 AM »
If I get one of these calls again that is the plan. Also the motor comes out of the package with the arm in the wrong position.I had to activate it and when it got lined up put a screw in it. Theres got to be a better way. I have the service manual which was no help.

Offline ericvq

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
The last time, I did replace the motor and the control board at the same time.  Lasted a day and same problem.  I went ahead and ordered all the dispenser parts (connector, flapper, holder) and a new motor and installed all last night thinking maybe something was off and it was much cheaper than the fountain control board (which I still do not know if it has anything to do with the dispenser).  It worked last night.  Whether it continues or not is the question and I will update here.  As it is 5 yrs. old, I am out of luck on the warranty so if this does not work I will quit and wait to win the lottery so I can buy another fridge.  Hear you about the motor, you can also turn it to the right position before installing.  Service manual was not much help as according to the troublehooting, I should not be having a problem!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:01:48 AM by ericvq »

GE side by side refrigerator ice maker door keeps opening and closing

Started by bkbaird

Replies: 0
Views: 2402
Last post October 19, 2010, 06:53:09 AM
by bkbaird
Whirlpool ed5fhaxss00 side by side no ice

Started by sandy

Replies: 4
Views: 5106
Last post July 20, 2007, 07:07:46 PM
by AJ
A New Look for the Whirlpool (and Kitchenaid) Side by Side Dispenser

Started by TechnicianBrian

Views: 1720
Last post July 23, 2008, 07:23:39 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Kenmore side by side-ice door flap?

Started by Jearls2

Replies: 2
Views: 2159
Last post October 08, 2008, 09:26:40 PM
by JWWebster
Sears Whirlpool side by side fridge mfgr in 2000 ice freezes up at bottom of ice

Started by marky

Replies: 12
Views: 6585
Last post April 04, 2010, 06:14:24 PM
by JWWebster
Noisy Whirlpool Side-by-side

Started by jez p

Views: 1448
Last post March 19, 2009, 08:18:02 AM
by jez p