Author Topic: Variable Speed GE Profile High Suction Pressure  (Read 1166 times)

Offline clman

• Technician
  • 25 Years Appliance and Air Conditioning experience
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Variable Speed GE Profile High Suction Pressure
« on: October 09, 2012, 03:49:37 AM »
Late last minute call out of area to a ncoo GE Profile. It had previously been serviced approx 30 days ago for ncoo. Owner and extended warranty co both told me that the previous servicer said unit had a sealed system leak. I found a access valve installed, ff @ 74 deg and fz @ 79. Variable speed compressor running and cool, no heat in liquid line and a slightly cool suction line. Initial low side pressure @ -4 psi. Looked for signs of leak before and after charging - nothing found. Charged unit so customer could use the unit till a resolution was achieved. The problem comes in with two things. I charged the unit to approx 3psi - No temp changes to anything. Kept going up to 5 then 10 then 15, etc till I finally got some heat in the condenser about 1/3 of the way through at 35psi. Also the compressor had a sort of dull light rod knock sound - lighter when settled and a bit more pronounced when adding refrigerant. The temp started dropping quickly then but I know somethings wrong here. I've never charged a residential unit to that high of a low side pressure before. I find it odd that the unit would have a leak and a bad compressor but I know it's possible. Just not used to charging variable speed units so it leaves me with questions that with a recip comp I would not have. Wish I would have had time to add a high side valve. Opinions please. Thanks

Offline tgoods

• Technician
Re: Variable Speed GE Profile High Suction Pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »
You can't charge a variable compressor fridge using pressure readings.  Since it's variable, the pressures will change.  I'd pull all of the refrigerant out and weigh in a new charge. Then if it's not cooling, you know it's either a bad compressor or restriction.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »
Agree with tgoods, vacuum it and install new dryer.

Offline clman

• Technician
  • 25 Years Appliance and Air Conditioning experience
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 12:53:32 AM »
I see your point. I don't know if I'll be going back to this one as the ext warr co will most likely do a buyout. I did offer to purchase it for parts should they do so so I could experiment with it. I guess moreover I am looking for more information for future troubleshooting as well as with this issue in particular. With a reciprocating compressor one would expect pressures to be a in certain parameters depending on environmental conditions. Knowing those parameters and comparing them to what is happening allows you to determine performance and faults. Certainly variable speed / liner compressors / systems should have their own set of expected behaviours and pressures which would allow you to do the same as with the recrip ones. I can't find any info on the web and nor can I find good tech data on LG's tech site.

Fridge evaporator motor variable fan speed - GE Side by side

Started by cot266

Replies: 12
Views: 1245
Last post June 02, 2014, 10:01:38 PM
by dab147315
GE PROFILE REFRIDGERATOR

Started by icemanxxxv

Replies: 4
Views: 2636
Last post September 08, 2008, 09:31:36 AM
by Repair-man
TFH30PR GE Profile Frigde

Started by jones54

Replies: 1
Views: 3722
Last post October 24, 2008, 06:21:17 AM
by Repair-man
GE Profile Ice Maker Freezing over, makes only crushed Ice

Started by Pahonex

Replies: 1
Views: 4152
Last post December 11, 2008, 05:17:47 AM
by Repair-man
GE PROFILE FREEZER NOT FREEZING

Started by TM

Replies: 2
Views: 4253
Last post January 13, 2009, 01:21:32 PM
by Mr. Fix-It
GE Profile (5 years old) sounds like machine gun!

Started by gadams713

Replies: 2
Views: 1808
Last post June 22, 2009, 07:43:16 AM
by gadams713