365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Marketing 101? How do we obtain, land and maintain new customers.  (Read 135 times)

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
     Just looking for input and a good discussion on our lifeline----ways we market and obtain new customers and keep our old ones.     To me,   this is the most important part of the job.   You can be the best tech in the world,  but if you can't obtain customers all your knowledge is worthless.  Customers and customer servicing is critical.     
     I don't want to ramble too much at the beginning,  just get this topic started.   I'll chime in more later.   For techs working for companies,   tell us what your company does to market itself.   What works, what doesn't in your opinion.  For independents like myself,  what do you do to get customers?   What have you tried that works,   what have you tried that didn't work.   We need both sides.     
     What brought this topic to mind,  I'm going to a business marketing seminar tomorrow afternoon.   I have taken marketing classes over the years,  and belong to several network groups that bring in marketing experts,  internet marketing experts,  and networking experts as speakers.    This is the most important thing to be concerned with once you get a business going,  for without customers your D.O.A.
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
Re: Marketing 101? How do we obtain, land and maintain new customers.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
I put business cards at Post Offices, public message boards, laundry mats, etc.    I am on Google places, yelp, soho, as far as online goes.  My local HVAC & appliance parts supply store (independent business) pass my name out as well as a local HVAC/appliance tech.    I pass my cards out were ever I go.

Need  to go door-door knocking in well to do neighbor hoods.   I am interested in other technigues.  Was in an email conversation about single page web site that I am considering to do.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Marketing 101? How do we obtain, land and maintain new customers.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »
Getting out of yellow pages after  30 years. They don't work anymore. 

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 07:12:40 PM »
"Getting out of the Yellow Pages"

This is true.  I think you need a small presence, a one liner w/ your website url as your name, and a phone number.

On the other hand, a lot of the advertising on the web is a waste of money.  I haven't tried direct mail yet, but the post office sometimes has a good program for letting people in your service area know.

Yellow pages are local, but no-one looks at them.  The web has not really adapted to "local" yet.
I use repeated direct mail for RE customers in my area.  I send 'em a post card every couple of months.  Get your name in front of them, and when they have difficulties with their regular guy, they'll call you.

Also (repeatedly) letting the plumbers, electricians, and other contractors know that you are there helps.  Hardware stores also.  These people all want to help their custmers, and a person for referrals is often greatly appreciated.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 06:56:28 AM »
    A few of my methods. 

I get my new customers from Cards,  Cards, cards.   Have them on message boards at restuarants (Im on the counter at 7 of them with a little card holder,   and a flyer underneath detailing my business).    Supermarkets,  Cleaners,  Convenient stores,  Banks,  one tool store.    Use your imagination.    I keep a list in my truck,  and stop in to check on them all the time.   

I run several small newspaper ads in specialty papers,   and get new customers from there.   NO more Yellow Pages.   I was paying close to 1000 for ads several years ago,  now NOTHING>    IN my opinion,  not worth the money anymore.   

I get alot of customers from my parts suppliers.     A hint.    Take care of the counter people (Xmas gifts,  gift cards,  etc.)   Every now and then,   I'll give them a random 25 dollar gift card and thank them for sending me work.      In turn,  when someone calls or comes in,   they will recommend me over others because I take care of them.      Don't overlook this source of new calls.      I'll bring them in doughnuts or lunch once in a while.   

This also is true For Realtors,   Handymen,    Property owners,   Plumbers,  Re-modelers and builders.    One lady manages properties for a number of property owners,  and she calls me for everything.   

Family and friends. -  can be a pain in ass,  but take care of them and impress upon them you NEED them to help you push your business - Network their friends and fellow workers.    Get them "working " for you.   

I just went to the marketing seminar for small business,  and got more ideas from them.   Lot of talk about social media,  and they gave me several very good ideas.    I'll discuss them later,  have to go run 5 service calls this morning and have to leave.     Keep the ideas flowing.   

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:00:15 AM »
      one more thing - I don't pass out one card.   I give each customer 5 to 10.    Tell them to give them to family,  friends,  fellow workers.     I also have magnets,   and stickers.     I always try to put the stickers on Washers and dryers so incase they lose cards,   they can go to the machine.   Also,  put a sticker on the back of the refrigerator or garbage disposal so your number is all over the house.  Cards are cheap compared to other advertising.    I just had 2000 more printed up.     

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 06:11:59 AM »
Do not disregard yellow pages all together,  elderly people still use it. They refuse to use technology. I agree it is a dieing trend, but you need a presence.

I made a deal with an uppity hair salon to display my cards on their sales counter in exchange for $xxx of free LABOR per year...they still have to buy the parts. Lots of women sitting around yammering about this and that and after seeing my full color brochure and cards they remember me.
Good work isn't cheap. Cheap work isn't good.
SW Oklahoma

Nasty Customers

Started by schaffersapplian

Replies: 6
Views: 129
Last post July 28, 2009, 10:48:10 PM
by BrntToast
Do you call customers back after a completed service call?

Started by AJ

Replies: 15
Views: 321
Last post March 24, 2013, 01:36:59 AM
by Wedgeman55
Connecting your business with local customers

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 102
Last post June 08, 2011, 10:27:27 PM
by theoldstoveguy
Special order parts that customers never pick up?

Started by AJ

Replies: 4
Views: 81
Last post August 13, 2011, 09:16:35 PM
by theoldstoveguy
Dealing with customers...

Started by whirlpooltech

Replies: 16
Views: 249
Last post November 15, 2011, 04:35:50 PM
by rego
Elderly customers