Forum > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

KitchenAid Bottom Freezer Drain clogged- need to remove drawer to gain access

<< < (2/4) > >>

jimbo6679:
My frig is 16 months old, but  I got service under a 2 year warranty I purchased from Home Depot.  GETTING that service was a different story, and I would not buy a warranty from them again. 
By the way, this drain part is accessed from BEHIND the frig.   There is a small panel at the bottom that removes for access.  That is a LOT easier than removng the drawers!

I contacted maytag "chat" about getting a part number to replace the duckbill.   Turns out they don't actually know anything, they just chat, about the weather, or whatever, but not about anything tech!!!!!!

AJ:

--- Quote ---I contacted maytag "chat" about getting a part number to replace the duckbill.   Turns out they don't actually know anything, they just chat, about the weather, or whatever, but not about anything tech!!!!!!
--- End quote ---

I have found this to be the case with lots of different website's the provide 'chat' as a customer service option.

I have to wonder if the person chatting is even a employ of the company or just a employ of a third party that is providing the chat service because as you said it turns out they don't actually know anything, lol...

tcape:
The part I removed and cleaned was behind the fridge too. There was a little shoot that led down to the pan and when I reached my hand in to feel the tube, I felt the rubber piece. The customer bought their fridge at Lowes I think and they had decided not to go with the extended warranty.

thordehr:
This thread fixed my problem too.  I had been fighting this for a while thinking the water system was leaking.  Where I saw a trail of water collecting in the bottom of the freezer was right below the ice maker.  I had water building up often enough that the periodic leaks wrecked the floor finish.  I removed ice from the bottom of the freezer multiple times, and even disconnected the ice maker water supply.  I started thinking there was a leak in a line inside the walls of the fridge somewhere.  When turning off the water supply to the fridge didn't do anything to help, I started searching google again and came across this thread.  Sure enough, in the freezer behind the back wall cover there was a big ice dam totally covering the drain area.  A heat gun, screw driver, compressed air, and a screwdriver/chisel revealed the drain.  Probing it with a screwdriver got a couple of bubbles to come through.  Hot water didn't do much, so I took the back cover off again (I had it off previously to map out water lines) and found the nasty little rubber bit.
Took it off and everything drained out.  It'll be going in the garbage.
The removal of shelves and interior bits to get to the back wall of the fridge was a pain.  Necessary though, since just removing the rubber bit wouldn't have done anything about the ice dam that had built up and waiting for that all to melt would have taken a LONG time.

lesguns:
I go to rear and remove duckbill-insert zoom spout oiler with hot water up tube-it will melt the ice-or use a steamer it works great-install  P-TRAP part # W10619951 then remove freezer door 4 screws then lower basket and use steamer to remove rest of ice in drain-no need to remove back  panel or side rails.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version