Forum > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

KitchenAid Bottom Freezer Drain clogged- need to remove drawer to gain access

(1/4) > >>

tcape:
Model-KBFS20EVWH3

The drain is clogged and I need to remove the main drawer and baskets and the ice maker so I can pull the back cover off so I can unclog the drain.

I don't see any easy way to do this. It has to be easier than it looks and I don't want to remove a bunch of screws till the thing falls out.

It seems as though there should be some kind of latch on the main bottom door slider that lets the whole door slide out and off the fridge.

Can someone help me ?

Or do I just point a heat gun at the hole behind the back plate and wait for the ice to melt out of the hole, then  blow it out from the back where the drain tube goes to the pan, then pour hot water down the drain through the vents on the back plate?

Thanks

Tony

tgoods:
Pull the drawer all the way out.  About 3/4 of the way back of the rails on each side is a plastic locking tab.  Push the tabs in and pull the drawer the rest of the way out.

tcape:

--- Quote from: tgoods on October 04, 2012, 04:07:45 PM ---Pull the drawer all the way out.  About 3/4 of the way back of the rails on each side is a plastic locking tab.  Push the tabs in and pull the drawer the rest of the way out.

--- End quote ---

That worked perfectly, thanks so much for the tip. The rest of the stuff was still a small pain to get out till I could pull the back panel off and get the ice melted. At the back of the fridge there looked like a small rubber boot attached to the plastic tube, barely enough to slide a dime through on the outlet side of it. I pulled it off and there was a small amount of sludge in it, I ran hot water through it and the sludge was gone. I'm assuming this may be a noise reduction device to slow down the dripping?

jimbo6679:
VERY interesting.  You might want to see my thread today under maytag, MBR2258XES and all the feedback.  Warranty repairman finally showed up after a week, and that drain grommet was super sticky...gummed up, etc.   He said the rubber deteriorates because of the heat, which I am inclined to believe because there is nothing there but water to gum it up.     He said the current fix is to just remove it ( they send the part to whirlpool for analysis).

There are dozens of models of Whirlpool, Amana, JennAir, I think Kitchen Aid, and Maytag all made in the same factory, presumably, hence the similar problems.

tcape:

--- Quote from: jimbo6679 on October 08, 2012, 07:21:25 PM ---VERY interesting.  You might want to see my thread today under maytag, MBR2258XES and all the feedback.  Warranty repairman finally showed up after a week, and that drain grommet was super sticky...gummed up, etc.   He said the rubber deteriorates because of the heat, which I am inclined to believe because there is nothing there but water to gum it up.     He said the current fix is to just remove it ( they send the part to whirlpool for analysis).

There are dozens of models of Whirlpool, Amana, JennAir, I think Kitchen Aid, and Maytag all made in the same factory, presumably, hence the similar problems.

--- End quote ---

Funny you mentioned sticky, the rubber was sticky and even after running water through it, it still seemed a little sticky. It should be noted the customer's refrigerator is just slightly over a year old and out of warranty, according to what they told me, they called and found out the warranty was over.

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version