Author Topic: MBR2258XES1  (Read 3678 times)

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
MBR2258XES1
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
Noticed some water on the floor last couple of days.     Now I find a sheet of ice about 1/4 to 3/8 " thick on the bottom of the freezer compartment.  (I picked that up in one piece and removed it.)   Another thing I noticed was a lot of frost buildup over the lower half of  little gizmo identified in the parts diagram as FREEZER THERMISTOR COVER. #31,      Should I take like a hair dryer and melt that frost off/??
Is there any clue here to what is wrong?   The freezer is still very cold, making ice OK.   

I really need help with this as I am doing chemo for cancer and my wife is not all that well either!   Bad day at black rock.!
She has a coronary if we have to have a repairman into her clean house, but if this is a big job I probably can't tackle it as I once might have.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:55:13 PM by jimbo6679 »

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
Re: MBR2258XES1
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:23:01 PM »
Assuming I may need to remove the freezer drawer to access something back there , is there a secret to getting it off the slide rails????

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:33:57 PM »
Pull the drawer all the way out.  About 3/4 of the way back of the rails on each side is a plastic locking tab.  Push the tabs in and pull the drawer the rest of the way out.  The leaking water sounds like a frozen drain.  If there's frost buildup on the back panel, you have a defrost problem.  There's a tech sheet under the right front corner with some diagnostics.  A defrost problem on these is almost always a bad Jazz board, part # 12868513

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »
I really appreciate the feedback.        How does the drain get frozen....is that a side affect of the defrost problem????

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 01:50:04 PM »
The freezer temp is still 5 degrees, so that seems to be a good sign.     I was surprised to find when looking in my file that when we bought this in May 2011, we also bought a 2 year extended warranty @ Home Depot.  ( As a rule, I do not buy warranties.   Must have been a smooth talker!)  So I have a service call coming on Wednesday.   As long as the freezer stays cold, I will just keep cleaning up the water on the pan .    It is quite intermittent, as if associated with a defrost cycle....so I am assuming it is not related to water to the icemaker.......but in my condition I just have to wait for the service tech to get into the back panel and check all that.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 02:57:06 PM »
Sounds more like a plugged drain if it's sheeting ice on the floor of freezer.

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »
Yes.... I don't know how the drain could get clogged or frozen but that seems to be the case.   With my illness, I am unable to take things apart to access it.   Which leads to plan B!   I called the HD extended warranty and they gave me an appt. for Wednesday.    But an hour later their service contractor called and said   " Oh, nay, nay, moosebreath.  The earliest we could possibly come is Friday the 12th, TWO WEEKS>    So I marched my sick self over to Home Depot.   The lower peons tried to give me the ...well you have to deal with the warranty company, NOT HOME DEPOT.    I mustered up my best " If you try to say that again I will rip your tonsils out" look.  He got some kind of suit who was pretty helpful .   Couldn't totally solve it because it is late in the day Saturday....but promised someone will solve this Monday AM.    We'll see. 

Since the freezer is still cold.....I can deal with the not draining for a while.  I just hope it doesn't stop defrosting  before we can get it looked at!\

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 02:31:54 PM »
FOLLOW UP:   The service guy from the warranty company just left.   He took the bottom panel off at the BACK of the refrigerator, went in and removed a rubberish sort of funnel, or something that was part of the funnel.   Being rubberish, in the heat the rubber is all sticky and this gizmo was stuck shut where the water is supposed to drain through.   He simply removed that part, and said they send it in to Maytag for analysis.    It took him all of about 7 seconds to diagnose this once he saw all the symptoms, so I gather this is a common problem.     I hope it is ok to run it with that item out.   

He said the actual drain is frozen solid, so we have to turn it off and open the freezer door for 24 hours.  I was hoping he could have taken care of it without that, but that is what we will do.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
Experience has taught me if you remove the drain grommet frost is going to form in the freezer in the area around the light switch .When I do a call like yours I take the time to get rid of the ice .I guess it saves you money his way .

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »
Experience has taught me if you remove the drain grommet frost is going to form in the freezer in the area around the light switch .When I do a call like yours I take the time to get rid of the ice .I guess it saves you money his way .

This was done on my Home Depot extended warranty, so I am not surprised they avoided putting in any extra labor time!     
How big a problem is that frost at the light switch???      Is that grommet replaceable?     Is it the part called the drain funnel on the parts diagram?   

I really appreciate your feedback on this.

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
FOLLOW UPS:
1.  Maytag customer service called me about the letter I sent.  They said that duckbill should NOT be omitted, but this was a customer relations agent not at tech..   She did not have part number info.

2.  I received the part I ordered.  I is # W10178188.    It looks exactly like the sketch on the Maytag parts list called the drain funnel, #27 on the freezer liner page.  It is NOT the duckbill.      Can anyone provide me with info or a part number for that rubber duckbill???

Thanks so much for staying with me on this issue!     By the way...so far so good, it has been 8 days and I see no frost issues yet.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
Jimbo the part # you need is W10309238 ...called a drain extention ,but I know it as a duckbill.I called the techline today trying to figure out why these things are getting real sticky and not opening properly at about 13 months .The CSR said W/P is aware of the problem and think its caused by debris from the evaporator .He wanted me to wash the evap with water .I think that theory is bull.He also suggested spraying the duckbill with silicone spray .Do not leave it off though ..I garantee  you will have a frost issue .been there done that .Hope this helps.

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »
This is why I keep coming back to this forum.  YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME!

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »
This is why I keep coming back to this forum.  YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME!

In the process of googling to order the part, this Whirlpool tech tip popped up!   Obviously they have known about the previous issue...but my frig already had the new, long duckbill...so they have not totally fixed the problem.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for pointing out the Whirlpool tech tip for this problem.
I edited your post to remove the .pdf link and added the .pdf file as a attachment instead.

Not all secure whirlpool links can be access by everyone and with it added as a attachment instead it will assure that we all have access to it now and in the future.

Thanks,
Hope you find our site helpful.