365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: The New VMW's (or the sad replacement for the direct drive, may it rest in peace  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
     Just sharing a few notes on the new VMW's or Vertical Modular Washers or as I'm now calling them - pieces of &@!!^^&@@@@!!!!!!. 
     Just in the last 3 days,  I have encountered 5 of these.   Some of the Whirlpool, 1 kenmore and 1 Maytag version.   All the same .    All only months after 1 year warranty expired.   It's time to learn these machines like the back of your hand because we're about to get slammed with repairs on these from the looks of things.   
     Some service notes.  I now know by heart the diagnostic procedure and all the light codes to put it into a manual diagnostic.  Don't even need the book.   
     First check - if won't fill and lid doesn't lock,   plug in a new lid lock.   TIP--------What I'm doing is carrying a door strike and a new lid lock.  To test without removing old lock,  just pop the back of control off.   Then I remove the plug from the computer and plug in new lock.   Saves time and gets that out of way fast.   don't have to lift lid to test.   Quick. 
     If that doesn't solve problem,  flip the machine back,  and check underneath.   I had one this week where the pulley loosened.   I installed new pulley and nut.    I now carry 2 each of them.   If all looks ok after belt shield is off,   then install new actuator and test again.    Most of the machines I have been fixing need either lid locks,  actuators or a combo of both.    It's alot easier and quicker to just pop on an actuator than to run the tests on the wires that they tell you to do in the service manual.   
Had a couple that needed the pulleys and nuts,   but other than that the only other problem I had was a bad main computer.  I'm gonna carry 2 actuators now instead of 1.   
     Also,  Had one where the drain punp would not work,  even in diagnostic.  Upon checking, found the wire harness was cut and wire was broken.   Must have been done when machine assembled.   
     Worst one I had was a Kenmore about a month ago.   Would do nothing.     Tried lid lock,  Nothing.   Tried actuator,  Nothing.   Checked wiring - OK.   Finally, got new computer and that was the problem EVEN THOUGH the green light was on in the computer indicating that it was good.    Don't believe the green light.     
     Anyone with any other experiences or observations would help us all to fix these great machines.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline ScottyMo1

• Technician
Pulleys coming off has been an issue from the beginning. Lock tight and retighten or replace with new nut that has thread lock already applied. Have had to replace alot of splutches due to loose nut and stripped gears. Other than that lots of actuators and a few belts, and lid locks.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
I agree with everything you have said.  Def actuators and lid locks all the time.  I have ran into 2 machine last week, both with cut wires between the cap and motor.  The motor would just hum.  One wire break was near a zip tie right in the middle of the two parts, the other was a break just a few inches away from the cap itself.  I have replaced a few gearcase's so far as well.   I have seen seal and bearing failure 2 or 3 times.  on this machine the bearing and seal comes with the gearcase assy.  I also know how to calibrate, and run tests without the book :) lol
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
I have worked on 2. No luck with the first one at all. The second one was an easy fix: sock in the pump. Where is this actuator yall are talking about?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:42:04 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline niobrara

• Technician
I am going thru gear-cases at a very high rate. Pulleys were first then actuators and now gear-cases. Had a independent give me a call the other night,he puts the phone up to the machine and says is this noise a bearing, yes ,replace gear case. I told him easy repair but pricey and over time those screws under the wash plate are gonna be a issue.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
I've only seen one so far.  The motor capacitor broke from the mount and was hanging with one broken wire.  The mount is molded onto the plastic body of the cap.  I used a disk cutter on my Dremel to cut a notch in the body of the cap and used a flat washer to remount it.  The molex plug to the cap has a snap on cover.  I unsnapped it, removed the terminal and soldered the broken wire to it, then reassembled the plug.
Thanks for the tips.  What you call pieces of &@!!^^&@@@@!!!!!!, I call job security.  :)

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Agree tgoods, money in the pocket is how I view them.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
Actuator is on the bottom of the machine JW.  What I do is just tip machine back,  lean it against wall and you have access to actuator.   2 phillips screws hold it in.    It attaches to the splutch.   Rotates it one way or the other for agitate or for spin.   

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
I do agree with the job security.   Had another one today,   it just needed a lid lock.   I'm now thinking about carrying 2 lid locks, 2 actuators,  2 cam kits,  2 belts and 2 pulley nuts.    Im not stocking any computers, or gearcases yet,  but I'm thinking about it.  Haven't had one go yet.   I wonder how may computers there are,  because I have run into 2 different ones so far.   

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
What is the definitive problem that points to the actuator when it has failed?
Good work isn't cheap. Cheap work isn't good.
SW Oklahoma

MOVED: Direct Drive coupling video

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 27
Last post March 26, 2009, 10:57:07 AM
by AJ
When did Whirlpool start making the direct drive washer?

Started by AJ

Replies: 11
Views: 183
Last post June 29, 2013, 06:53:57 PM
by RAH52
Direct Drive Washer

Started by ryan111

Replies: 29
Views: 352
Last post September 02, 2012, 07:45:12 PM
by andersenappliance
MOVED: kenmore direct drive spin problem

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 43
Last post October 16, 2011, 10:25:27 AM
by AJ
whirlpool/kenmore direct drive coupler issue

Started by stocpro47

Replies: 13
Views: 253
Last post May 28, 2014, 09:22:38 AM
by nolazach
Difference between Direct Drive Gearcase & Neutral Drain Transmissions?

Started by andersenappliance

Replies: 5
Views: 107
Last post March 12, 2014, 06:53:34 PM
by andersenappliance