365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Red Carpet Service  (Read 146 times)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Maytag Red Carpet Service
« on: September 21, 2012, 11:00:24 PM »
Hello All,

I've heard a bit about the old Maytag Red Carpet service standards. 

I'm interested in positioning myself as a bit higher end as I build my business.

I'm good for professional demeanor, friendly service, and knowing when to bend or stand up to a customer.  I also have a good customer service background.

I'm interested in the "flair" for appliance service. 

What do you all do to give the special service for your customers?

Does anybody have the service guidelines for the Maytag Red Carpet service or similar?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

:thanks:

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag Red Carpet Service
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
A clean presentable uniform is a must. Wipe your feet on a towel or something before entering a house. Introduce yourself. I was told never park in the driveway (oil leak?)A protection pad for your tools,pad for call book and 1 for the front of the machine (work area) clean the top and area around machine when done. People still love having "old fashioned service " Did Red Carpet for 25 years. Still use same procedures. It's common sense stuff!

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:40:57 AM »
I did red carpet service for many years .Basically don't dress like a slob,act like an idiot and be careful not to wreck the appliance or customers home .Lots of product knowledge helps too.

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
Here at Mr. Appliance we do everything theoldstoveguy said. We bring a door mat with us, it has our logo on it, and we wear shoe covers (mat and shoe covers are cheap). The high end customers LOVE it. It is one of several things that make us stand out in the customers mind, at least in our market of 125K people. Most remark that they wished more service companies did this. I've been on several jobs where other service providers came and went while I was there, and they wiped mud on my mat...damn guys, but that would have been in the customers house had my mat not been there.

Don't park in driveway, never back up for fear of running over something of theirs, especially a pet. Park where they can see your vehicle from their front door, so they know who they are answering the door for. Hand them a business card when you enter. Try to leave something behind when your finished; a pen, a magnet, small calendar.
Good work isn't cheap. Cheap work isn't good.
SW Oklahoma

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »
Most of that stuff seems pretty reasonable.

When I had my cleaning business, we were always having to clean up after plumbers, painters, electricians, etc. (for our RE customers).  Sometimes the apt. manager would complain, explaining that the resident had passed the cleaning inspections.  I'd point out that it wasn't the resident who had cleaned their paint brushes in the bathtub, nor had they sanded the cabinets and filled the apt. w/ dust.

I never park in the driveway, even when they invite me to.  I always clean up everything (a good way to ensure all your tools leave with you.).  I haven't used any pads.  Good idea, I'll have to look into that.

pad for call book? W?

The shoe coverings are top notch, but I'm not sure that they'd be worth the effort.  I usually hit my truck a minimum of 3 times, and taking 'em off & putting  'em back on might be over the top.  But I live in California.  reasonable rain, & no snow.

I always hand out a business card and introduce myself.  I also stand and introduce myself when another adult comes in, if reasonable (I ignore kids & teenagers - with the teenagers its mutual :) ).

The fridge magnet and service sticker is great advertising.  I love that stuff.  People will call you who bought a used appliance w/ your sticker.

The uniform is important.  I prefer to wear a collar, and keep my shoes polished (or equivalent). I'm still looking into tweaking my uniform.  I'm comfortable in polo shirts, but a button up Ben Davis type work shirt might be more professional.  Navy Ben Davis or Docker type pants preferred over jeans.

Hygiene is important too.  brushed teeth, hair, deodorant.  A plumber in San Diego advertises based upon hygiene - he's the "smell-good" plumber.

Keep the customer informed about what is going on with his appliance, give him a safety tip or two, plus some useful info: defrosting, lint cleaning, HE detergent use, etc.  Plus, if I ever have a conflict, I can give discounts off the next service all day long.  Good perceived value, and if he calls back, I retain the customer.

Bring my own paper towels.

What do you guys think about accepting water, sodas, or lunch?

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 08:27:25 PM »
I never accept a coffee until the work is done and bill is paid .I learned my lesson many years ago .A nice old lady asked me if I wanted a coffee while I worked ."being young and stupid I said yes thanks .To make a long story short after she paid me and I left she called my boss telling him a I charged her too much because all I did was drink coffee. We had to give her some money back to shut her up .

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:01:48 PM »
I wear the grey and blue stripe shirts (you see them all over and uniform companies sell them) and I get them on eBay new for 1/3 the price. The pad is for an aluminum call book,if you set it on an appliance it may scratch it and also scratch tile counters. I use a small towel to wipe my feet as you never know what you may step in on the way to the door. O0 Platt tool case (looks more professional as organized and clean looking) owned 3 in 33 years so they pay for themselves.

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:51:06 PM »
"All I did was drink coffee!"   :rofl:

That's kinda what I'd be afraid of.  I usually won't accept any food, and nothing to drink until done.  Then just water.  Never beer (not even "to go")!

I have an aluminum clipboard box.  Maybe just felting the back?

I'd like some standardized shirts.  Greys and blues are great.  Hide burrito stains better.

Having an extra in the truck helps as well.

Offline PerrysRepair

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 11:51:17 PM »
I always call prior to arrival--and arrange my schedule so I can be a few minutes early to the customers home and NEVER late. 

I introduce myself and remove shoes.

I keep a clean and organized tool bag and am mindful of where I place it.

I am prepared to catch/wipe up any water when removing hoses, traps, etc...

I explain what I am doing and why I am doing it, what caused the problem at hand and what the customer can do to prevent future problems.

I never use a customers bathroom and never wash my hands in the customers sink-- I carry hand cleaner, towels and water in the truck and clean up after the repair when I bring my tools out to the truck. I return to the customers home with a clean completed invoice and a business card.

Always leave the machine and area around it cleaner than I find it.

I protect floors if I have to move an appliance.

Online Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
I never accept anything from the customer, not even tips. When I first started in this business I went with another tech to install a furnace, which was in the floor.
My job was to crawl under the house. A lunch time he told her we were going to leave and get something to eat. She insisted we stay and let her make us some sandwiches. When we finished the job and he gave her the bill, she made him take off $15 apiece for the lunch. He fumed about that call for months.I laughed then and its even funnier now.

Old Maytag Service Manual - OCR

Started by AJ

Replies: 4
Views: 66
Last post May 05, 2008, 12:53:37 PM
by AJ
16026186 Maytag 27" Front Load Washer (6700) Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 62
Last post October 10, 2010, 08:28:46 AM
by AJ
New Service Manual Download System.

Started by AJ

Replies: 14
Views: 148
Last post March 17, 2008, 06:37:56 PM
by AJ
What brands do you service the most - warranty work?

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 101
Last post April 03, 2008, 08:59:47 PM
by BrntToast
new service truck

Started by BrntToast

Views: 112
Last post December 18, 2008, 07:45:02 AM
by JWWebster
Maytag t/d