Author Topic: Frigidaire Refrigerator FRS23H7CW0 not defrosting  (Read 3442 times)

Offline richin501

• VIP Member
Frigidaire Refrigerator FRS23H7CW0 not defrosting
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:08:03 PM »
My defrost system appears to be inoperable.

How do i diagnose which component of the defrost system may be faulty?

I do have minor experience with testing components and have a multi-tester.

However the service data sheet (240389610) reflects N/A for timer, so does this indicate i do not have a defrost timer?

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: Frigidaire Refrigerator FRS23H7CW0 not defrosting
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:41:45 PM »
AP4909015 part number

Offline richin501

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
would it be a waste of time, then, to test the thermostat or heater?

In further reading i see that i could test the heater element resistance should be at 30 Ohm

what resistance should the thermostat show at open and closed?

i noticed last night that if i click the door switch 5 times i do hear a click in the area of the ADC box, not sure what this may indicate (closing of a relay?)

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 02:58:20 PM »
When you hear the relay click, the fridge should go into a defrost cycle.  The compressor should shut off and the defrost heater should energize.  If the compressor keeps running, the defrost control is bad. If the compressor does shut off but the heater does not turn, it could be the defrost thermostat, heater or defrost control.

Offline PerrysRepair

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:09:41 PM »
The T-stat should read close to 0 ohms when closed (cold) and infinity when open (warm). Generally the thermostats stay open when they have failed.
The heater should not read open--Should be in the ballpark of the 30ohm spec but dont worry if it is not right at 30. If it is open (reads infinity) it is faulty.

Offline richin501

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 09:36:57 AM »
i checked heater resistance last night - it reads 28.63 ohm - i figure that's pretty good
after further thinking i surmised the TStat settings would be as suggested by Perry, but have not fully disconnected TStat to check it
quintuple clicking the door switch irregularly clicks the relay in ADC, and compressor continues to run

SO, with tgoods info in mind i ordered an ADC IV last night off ebay (< $47 new, shipped)

i plan to follow this process (found on appliancepartspros.com) when installing:

To Install the ADC IV and wiring harness:
1. Turn the freezer and the food compartment control to the off position Disconnect product from electrical supply.
2. Remove control box from top of food compartment by removing the 3 screws from the front of the control box. If the product has a front water filter in the right side of the control box, remove the cover over the water lines by removing 1 screw at the back of the cover. With the cover off there is 1 additional screw in the control box located behind the filter see note 1.
NOTE1: The water lines run from the back of the product on the right side to the back of the water filter housing. The screw you must remove is between the water lines at the back of the filter housing. Remove a screw at the back of the left section of the control box behind the damper air outlet. Remove the one remaining screw at the front of the left section of the control box. Disconnect the wiring harness connector at the top of the food compartment liner. Carefully pull the control box to the right until the freezer control cap tube comes out of the pilot hole under the air opening in the liner. Remove the control box from inside the product
3. Remove the old ADC by removing the 2 screws going through the left side section of the control box into the ADC and discard the old ADC.
4. Install ADC IV (Orange ADC supplied with kit) in same location as the old ADC. If the wire harness connector in the control box will connect to the ADC IV in the kit and the damper in the control box only has one switch you already have the latest wiring harness. You will not need to install the harness in the kit or make any changes to the switch on the damper. Proceed to NOTE 4 and step 7.
5. Remove the control box wiring harness.
6. Install the new control box wiring harness. When replacing ADC I and ADC II with an ADC IV you will only use one of the two switches on the damper. The switch next to the EPS foam block will be connected to the new control box wiring harness. The switch next to the motor is not used with an ADC IV.
NOTE 3: The damper used with ADC I and ADC II had two switches connected to the ADC. The ADC III and ADC IV only has one switch on the damper
NOTE 4: The Wiring harness in the kit has a connector for the fast ice/fast freeze heater installed on the freezer control bulb. If the product you are servicing does not have a heater on the control bulb place the unused connector under the damper motor to keep it out of the way when you reinstall the control box.
7. Reinstall control box by first inserting the freezer control cap tube back in the pilot hole under the air outlet. Plug the control box back into the connector in the top of the food compartment liner. Reinstall the long screw behind the damper, push up on the control box and install the center screw in the front section of the control box. Now install the remaining screws in the control box including the screw between the water lines if the product has a front water filter.
8. Reconnect the product to electrical supply. Turn the food compartment control on make sure the damper will open all the way and the evaporator fan motor will run, turn the control back to Off and make sure the damper is closing all the way and the fan will shut off. Now turn the freezer control on and make sure the compressor, condenser fan motor and the evaporator fan motor are running. Place your hand in front of the damper and make sure no air is leaking around or through the damper. Now turn the food compartment control back on.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 02:15:36 AM »
i ordered an ADC IV last night off ebay (< $47 new, shipped)

Websites ApplianceJunk.com are affiliated with.
RepairClinic.com
AppliancePartsPros.com

What does this mean?
If you click on a text link, banner, image or search button on our site that takes you to one of the affiliate sites listed above and then make a purchase from that site we receive a small commission from the sale.

No harm in buying and trying.
Any parts ordered from RepairClinic.com or AppliancePartsPros.com through our site can be returned for any reason for up to 365 days!

We appreciate your support.

:thanks:
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 03:54:02 PM »
AP4909015 part number  REALLY !!!!  AJ maybe we should start a fund to help the site up date people on how this works. O wait its already explained. Well it has been one of those months. Have great weekend.

Offline richin501

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »
Sorry, folks.  My bad.

How about a fund where I can send the difference directly to the site?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
richin501

Thanks for the donation you made today.
Your support is greatly appreciated.

:thanks:

Offline richin501

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »
replaced old ADC 1 with newer ADC IV - all seems to go okay, so far - damper activating, compressor and fans going
took about 1 hour to drop from 74 to 34 in fridge and another 30 minutes to bring it down to 37 - seems reasonable?
woke up at 6 this morning and all still working fine, temps on target,

but the freezer/evaporator fan was running constantly until about 7:30 - that seemed odd, but it shut off by itself

two little iffy issues not addressed in installation instructions with unit:
new harness did not have wire to replace for old pink wire at refrigerator control switch - back-tracked old harness and that wire went to switch on damper control not used in ADC IV - not problem, i guess?

new harness does not have wires to connect to fast freeze wiring at freezer control cap tube - i checked my new wiring harness with photos of other new ADC IV harnesses and they all seem to match up  - what this about?

THANKS A TON for all your help here O0

Offline richin501

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »
EDIT
took about 1 hour to drop from 74 to 44 in fridge and another 30 minutes to bring it down to 37 - seems reasonable?

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »
Yes all should be good,and thanks for helping support the site !!

Offline richin501

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 11:58:38 AM »
hmmm - about 88 hours after ADC IV install the temperatures seem to hold well and accurate
BUT
still have defrost problem - the temps are still okay, but using a mirror to look up into the evap coil shows frost continuing to collect and the region of coil near the fridge air inlet is has about 1/8" of frost covering the surfaces

it appears i should check for continuity from upper plug in fridge compartment to plug for heating element
from looking at the wiring diagram the blue and brown wires should run straight from one plug to the other - is this correct?

five clicks to the fridge light switch does not give me a relay click in the ADC IV, nor do the fans and compressor turn off
does defrost initiation work the same with ADC IV as it did with ADC I?

i have NOT checked the defrost thermostat - perhaps i should do that too?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:00:25 PM by richin501 »

Frigidaire Refrigerator Ice Dispenser Problems

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 2
Views: 7496
Last post June 11, 2013, 01:23:14 PM
by kcfinch
Frigidaire Refrigerator not cooling anymore :(?

Started by yahoo

Replies: 4
Views: 7138
Last post March 29, 2008, 08:19:36 AM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Refrigerator Won't Make Ice

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4502
Last post April 09, 2008, 07:35:03 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Frigidaire Refrigerator Not Cooling Properly