Author Topic: Dyson DC08 Animal (small hoover) motor making loud noise and burning smell?  (Read 6094 times)

Offline Sheepdisease

• VIP Member
Hello, I've just started having problems with my Dyson. it was working fine, all the filters on it were new. I had just finished cleaning out my little furries and hoovering up loose hay and bedding, then went on to continue hoovering the louse with no problem. I was cleaning the kitchen afterwards and this is when the hoover started to make a really bad noise and smell.

I have since opened up the Dyson and discovered there seems to be a problem with the motor. Could someone please tell me if there is a way to open up the motor housing? The motor looks like this:

I can see some inverted screws, by which I mean I see the tapered end but the actual head is inside the housing. So how else would I open it up?

Thank you for your consideration.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Is the smell really ba-a-a-a-a-d ?   :rofl:
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline Sheepdisease

• VIP Member
Quite, but not as much as my need to find out how to open up the motor housing.

Offline Mr. Fix-It

• Technician
Most vac motors are not servicable except the brushes. Once they start making a burning smell it's usually time to replace them.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Very old topic, but by far the most common burnt smell from a vacuum is the belt.

Typically, thread, hair or string builds up around the roller bearings, and when they finally tighten up enough to slow the belt, the motor shaft starts to melt through the rubber belt.

I used lots of vacuums in my cleaning business.  All of them were free.  All of them either needed a new belt or the bag changed.  All worked well regardless of cosmetic condition.

Only once have I run across bad motor brushes, and in that instance it caused intermittent operation, when the worn brushes made momentary contact.

It seems that people, using their vacuum only a few times a month, think that after a few years, when it just "doesn't have suction" (full bag) or it "smells funny" (burning belt from seized roller) , their vacuum is old and needs replacement.

It is rare that vacuums get enough miles on them to really kill the motor.  Usually, some essential plastic tab on the body breaks that makes the vacuum no longer worth dealing with.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
I don't work on vacuums but a vac tech I know calls them Die-Soon.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
I don't know much about the Dyson brand specifically. My comments were for vacuum cleaners in general.

I do know that the Dyson vacuum is a status symbol in SoCal.  Almost as good as having a nanny.  I've heard that they are doing good things with the technology, but I don't kick out $500 for a vacuum.  I get 'em for free. O0

The dyson hand dryers I've seen in bathrooms seem to work well, but I still'd rather have paper towels.

Bissell Momentum Bagless Vacuum Model 3910 making very loud noise

Started by digerdo2

Replies: 5
Views: 2580
Last post January 03, 2013, 02:10:48 PM
by digerdo2
If you found our site helpful please consider making a small donation.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 1734
Last post July 16, 2013, 07:00:46 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool should just stick to making fridges

Started by bathgate

Replies: 8
Views: 5214
Last post July 28, 2007, 12:33:44 PM
by jdman
Modern Appliance Motor drives

Started by shieldcracker

Replies: 9
Views: 3847
Last post November 16, 2008, 07:14:26 PM
by Penguin45
Old But Good Dehumidifier AC Motor Gone Bad. Can I replace? (Pictures)

Started by BPmax

Replies: 6
Views: 2618
Last post May 07, 2012, 07:23:27 AM
by BPmax
Motor Testing

Started by magician59

Replies: 8
Views: 3047
Last post February 26, 2010, 06:08:10 PM
by JWWebster