365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: What would you do??  (Read 132 times)

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
What would you do??
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:09:04 AM »
Quoted a job for a customer. Customer wanted the part number to see if they can purchase the part cheaper and have me install it for just the labor and service call. I told her that I won't do a job I can't guarantee if she gets the part herself. Experience has taught me that if the customer purchases the part and the part is either wrong or defective, I will still charge the customer for that visit and charge her again when she gets another part. When I did that, the customer hated me for double charging her. I did one job that the manufacturer kept sending her the wrong part 3 times and I charged each time I came out. What would you do or say to that kind of customer?
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
Re: What would you do??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »
I would say "If you want to get the parts yourself then do the job yourself" or get one of your barstool experts to help you.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »
My first thought is that I should breath and not say something wrong. It would piss me off to know that I gave up technical knowledge and technical infomation without being paid. Then again, I might first get my service/ labor charge for coming out and diagnosing the problem and let them know what their warranty would or would not cover. I would probably say that the ten or twenty dollars they are saving will not be a very good investment over the normal period of repair warranty.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:19:47 PM »
I agree with MajorApp . If your so smart ..do it yourself .

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:56:07 PM »
Thanks guys.  I feel much better after dragging my feet all day with this on my mind.  I'm going to open up a cold one.  Cheers to all.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:32:56 PM »
My initial replies to such questions are very vague.  I generally begin by saying "it could be a number of things, It depends.  I'll know better when I come out an look at it."  After I'm at their location I can get a lot more specific.

I look at my service call fee as the price for my technical knowledge, and the travel to their location.  If after I give them the diagnosis, they want to order their own part, and install it or not, I figure they've paid me for the consultation.  If they do the rest, and botch it, they can pay me again.

On the other hand, if it is an error code call that just requires a reset (dishwashers are common for this) I explain to them how to reset it, and how to run a diagnostic.  This still fits into the half hour I provide for diagnosis, and gives them some value for the fee I charge.  I find that customers like a bit of explanation, and it increases your expertise in their eyes.  Besides, they'll still call you back based upon your service and the trust you've established with them.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:41:19 PM »
Just tell em you can fix it for X$ Don't give them details.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL