Author Topic: Jenn-Air SVD8310s dual fuel slide-in (Help w/ LP to Natural Gas conversion)  (Read 3368 times)

Offline bennecc

• VIP Member
I bought a used range recently only to realize later that it must be set up for propane when I need natural gas.  The range is Jenn-Air model SVD8310s which is a dual fuel slide-in.  I have opened the regulator and flipped the plastic plunger.  But I'm having trouble figuring out what I need to do with the orifices and/or which parts I need to buy. 

Does anyone have a service manual or parts list for this model?  I've looked at various diagrams online and spoken to Jenn-Air, and from what I can tell the units came with the natural gas orifices installed on the burner tubes; the LP orifices were included separately.  Jenn-Air told me that the only way to get the original natural gas orifices would be to buy 4 new burner tubes (which are not in stock anywhere anyway).

So, can anyone tell me the diameter of the original natural gas orifices on this model?  What are my options here?  I'm new at this, but I'm thinking there has to be a part out there that will work "good enough".  I mean I can boil a pot of water using natural gas and the LP orifices as it is now, but it takes an hour..... Would it be feasible to drill out the LP orifices to the correct diameter?

Thanks for any help/advice!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Hi

Does anyone have a service manual or parts list for this model?

Service Manual

Parts List & Diagram
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline bennecc

• VIP Member
Well, thanks for the service manual!  That just confirmed what I suspected; it says that if the original natural gas orifices are lost then you must purchase new burner tubes.  Even if they were in stock, it doesn't seem worth it. 

I still can't find where it says the diameter of the original natural gas orifices.  Does anyone know where I could get this info?  I'm hoping that I can either 1) find a part for another model that will work or 2) drill out the orifices I already have. 

Thanks again!

Offline bennecc

• VIP Member
How to drill out gas orifices
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »
Just a bump here. Nobody has the replacement burner tubes. What can I do besides get a whole new stove?  How do I know the necessary size for the orifices?

Offline bennecc

• VIP Member
Anyone? Anyone?  Bueller?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
The LP conversion kit, 12001809, has instructions that tell the orifice sizes.  The appliancepartspros.com picture is a little  hard to read but it looks like the bay on the left takes a #55 drill size and the bay on the right takes a #53 drill size.

Offline bennecc

• VIP Member
OK, here is what I ended up doing.  The stove is working much better now with a much stronger flame.  If anyone has any opinion on this, please reply and let me know.  The last thing I want to do is to endanger myself or anyone else.

According to the picture posted above, the orifice for the regular burner side is #55.  For this stove I am using the regular burners on both side rather than using the grill.  The LP orifices that were on the stove were #66 (.033") & #63 (.037"). 

On ebay there are plenty of #55 drill bits for just a few bucks.  However, I do not have a drill press and was afraid I might wobble and enlarge the holes too much by using a hand drill.

Instead, I ordered (4) #56 gas hood orifices:
http://www.etundra.com/Natural_Gas_Hood_Orifice-P1747.html?token=45894|||0|24|7|1|0

I wasn't sure when I ordered them if they would fit correctly, but they are the same size and thread as the old orifices.  So I just screwed these on and flipped the regulator and things seem to be working.

These are .0465" instead of the .0520" of the correct #55 orifices.   However, the flame seems plenty strong enough and I was happy to err on the side of caution in this case. 

Again, if I am not understanding this correctly and what I did is not appropriate, please let me know.  Thanks everyone for your help!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:52:56 PM by bennecc »

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
If it's working good, I would keep it like it is.  But, if the #53 orifice is on the right side, wouldn't that be for the burners, not the grill? I don't have a drill press either and have had no problem drilling these out by hand.

Offline bennecc

• VIP Member
Yes, you are correct there, I got confused.  So I guess the orifices I got are even a couple extra sizes smaller than I thought.  But it seems to be working well enough.

Truthfully I'm scared to death of the liability of me trying to drill it out myself, and I wasn't able to find any technician who wanted anything to do with it. 

The tenants are happy, nothing has blown up yet, and it wasn't expensive.  So, all in all, I'm satisfied. 

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
after hand-drilling.. check hole size with the shank end ...
HarborFreight
60 Piece Titanium Nitride Coated Numbered Drill Bit Set
Sizes: 1 through 60 gauge
good for measuring lots of things ...
$19.99
always a 20% coupon somewhere
item#34627
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-numbered-drill-bit-set-34627.html

After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

16026929 Maytag Jenn Air Dual Fuel Slide In Range Service Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1410
Last post December 12, 2012, 05:33:11 PM
by AJ
Anyone? tech sheet / manual Jenn Air Dual Fuel Downdraft Slide in SVD48600W

Started by Wedgeman55

Replies: 5
Views: 1537
Last post February 10, 2013, 09:00:12 AM