Author Topic: LG Top loader WT5001CW bleach dispenser overflowing with water  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Msim

• VIP Member
My LG washer was purchased 13 months ago.  Of course, 30 days after warranty there was a major leak that caused lots of water to leak in my finished basement.  Repairman #1 Found out that the hose connected to the bleach dispenser was cracked..  Ordered a new one.  Replaced it.   Now the bleach dispenser was overflowing with water.  Appliance repairman #2 came out.  Said  we needed a new bleach dispenser unit as the water was overflowing from this part.  Ordered it, replaced it.  Water is still overflowing from it and it seems that there is way to much water going to the dispenser judging from the huge amount of water that leaks onto the floor each time we try to wash. 

Can any suggest anything before I call another incompetent repairman?  I am ready to throw out this overpriced washer and just buy a new one!

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Re: LG Top loader WT5001CW bleach dispenser overflowing with water
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 10:22:04 PM »
You should complain to LG.  Call their customer service @ 800 243 0000.  Tell them of your problem and see if they will grant you a 1 time warranty extension.  If the first customer service rep doesn't help you, ask to speak to the supervisor.  I haven't seen enough of these new top load washers to give you any guidance on what to do look for.

Hope this helps.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline clman

• Technician
  • 25 Years Appliance and Air Conditioning experience
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 04:45:07 AM »
When you say they replaced the dispenser are you referring to the drawer or the part the drawer goes into?

The bleach is dispensed by means of introducing water into the cup by energizing a water valve. That sends water to a section of the dispenser via the hose ( that was split? - never seen that before but possible ), which mixes with the bleach, then when the water flow stops the cup is designed to syphon it's self empty. If the cup syphon were clogged it would not leak out of the dispenser. If the dispenser ( which is the part the drawer slides into ) is not snapped together well or cracked it would leak. If the drawer is cracked near the front it could leak - but not that much.

What makes you think it's only when the bleach dispenses? That section / valve does not activate for a very long time. Just long enough to purge the bleach from the cup. Is everything else dispensing? Has the dispenser drain hose been removed and checked? Have the other hoses been checked?

Offline Msim

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 07:17:25 AM »
The whole bleach Dispenser Unit and hose were replaced. The dispenser is not in a drawer, it is more like a tringular cup in the front part of the machine, separate from the drawer for  detergent and softener in the back.  The lid to the washer is clear, so you can watch the cycle.  The water flowing to the bleach dispenser overflows the cup, and not just a little.  It overflows to the point where it leaks from both the bottom and sides of the washer.  When it's time for th e bleach to dispense, water just rushes to this unit.  Everything else is dispensing fine.  I just don't get why so much water is going to the bleach dispenser unit.

Offline clman

• Technician
  • 25 Years Appliance and Air Conditioning experience
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
Sorry. I was thinking of a front loader. I didn't really look at the model number well.

The bleach & water mixture drains into another sorta cup section on the top ring of the outer basket. Then it drains through that cup in between the inner and outer baskets. There are two holes in the inner basket ring that could be clogged. When you pop the top open ( not the lid ) you can see where the bleach dispenser would line up with the cup on the top ring.

It is possible that your water pressure may be to high and the system cannot drain out fast enough. The water valve does restrict the flow of the water some so it may be allowing too much water through it. It can also get stuck open too long. That is that it can be slow closing after the computer has turned off the voltage to it.

If the drain holes in the ring are clear and flowing properly it would have to be the valve.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »
I have ran into this very specific problem before. Quite simply the water valve assembly needs replaced due to missing Bleach restrictor plate inside the valve. When the unit calls for bleach and is missing this restrictor plate, it sends full water pressure to the bleach dispensor located in the front left. Replacement of this valve corrected the issue. I know this is late but hope to help future similar issues!
 http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/5221EA1008F/1862732?modelNumber=WT5001CW
If you look closely at the picture, you can see 2/5 outlets have these restrictors... O0

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:19:38 PM »
Good to know.

I know this is late but hope to help future similar issues!

It's never to late to add helpful information to a topic, thanks for positing.  O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 11:18:31 AM »
Very good to Know.   The machine comes from the manufacturer without the proper dispenser valve with bleach restrictor or is that something that comes loose & is discarded with the manufacturing assembly.   Also it works at 1st & the problem shows up after warranty expires?  The appliance gods playing with us technicians.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
Great post LG. Welcome to the forum.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »
Good to know. O0

Bleach dispenser full of water

Started by sparky823

Replies: 1
Views: 2160
Last post May 08, 2008, 05:36:09 AM