365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: coin operated washers  (Read 219 times)

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Reges Service and Repair
coin operated washers
« on: August 20, 2012, 04:42:37 PM »
I have 2 washers in an apt. complex to go take a look at tomorrow.  All I know is they are not acting right (work order).  Gotta love specifics :P .  They are probably coin operated which I have never worked on.  From the manuals I have (thank you AJ) it looks like timer is in the coin box and everything else is pretty straight forward.  Any forward thinking or suggestions on common problems I should be looking for?
2 washers next to each other not working right...I'm going to be looking for the obvious and commonalities...drain's, fill's, plugs, etc. 
I amaze myself that I still get a little knot in my stomach when I go on a job that I have no idea on.  It is supposed to be part of the fun of this :D
Thanks folks!

Offline tgoods

• Technician
Re: coin operated washers
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47:49 PM »
You will need a key to the access panel.  I find a lot of times the manager will have the coin box key but not the access key, which doesn't really help.  I keep a key ring of the most common keys.  Whirlpool takes the GR777, Kenmore GR888, GE GR100, Maytag ZB7. Sometimes the lock will be changed to a uncommon key or someone will put the wrong lock on, like a GR100 on a Whirlpool.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
Interesting, all these years and I had no idea they had common keys like that.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 12:40:51 AM »
     You are correct on the common keys.  However,  there are many other keys that used to be common and I still turn up on older machines.   GR200 (old SQ ), ZB3 (old maytag),  GR416, GR419,  GR8040, etc etc.    I have all these old keys after being in the business for close to 40 years.     In my area,  I still run into these keys and more.   I have a great relationship with almost all of the Techs in my area,  and a lot of property managers.    When one of them gets a call on a commercial washer or dryer, they give out my name.     
     That being said,  if you run into a machine that you do not have a key for,  you either have to get one from owner or if it isn't a common key,  then you have to drill it out.    I'm not bragging,   just stating fact,  but I am an expert on coin op washers.    From the ones you work on to big, 100lb plus machines you see in laundromats.    Lots of owners put in different locks that I don't even have a key for.   Then,  if they don't have key,  I drill.    I keep a wide variety of locks and parts on my trucks.    The Cams on the locks are different for whirlpool,  GE,  SQ etc.   
     Number one complaint on coin op machines is the coin slide or drop coin.    I could talk for a while on that,   but I know from years of experience that apartment tennants never usually get the complaint specific.   They know that they put in the money and it didn't work.    Could have been trying to put in canadian money (will not work in slides because they have magnet in them to catch and stop them. )  or bent or deformed quarter.    Tennants usually always for sure OVERLOAD coin op machines because they want to get most out of their money.    They usually get beat into the ground.     So, depending on brand,  could be clutch (GE or whirlpool),  belts wearing,  SQ (triangle bearing and seal pretty common),  Maytag (used to replace lots of belts because of overloading),  etc.   
       Let us know what you find out.    Also,  if owner doesn't collect coin box regulary,   box will fill and then can't get any more money in.    If it happens on a maytag ,  old one with painted coin box and bolt through lock,   good luck.  I had one where the owner lost keys.     I know what I'm doing,  and it took almost 2 hours to free one up last week and install new lock assembly.   Maytags have a 5 coin slide on some older models because there is a cage underneath slide.  Money gets trapped and you can't get box out.    Be ready to pull your hair out.    Drilling out coin boxes is a whole dark science,  I'm not kidding.   I can get any box out of any machine,  that's why I get a lot of calls sent to me.     
     Just a few thoughts.   Let us know what you find and if you need any further help or ideas.
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:34:37 AM »
Fascinating!  Thank you!  I will let you know what I find.  Considering I have 0 keys and have no idea what the machines are even doing wrong it should be interesting O0

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »
I'd be interested in knowing how to drill out coin boxes.  I've never had any luck with those.  The access panel locks are easy because they're soft brass.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »
Hammer drill, done a bunch if them when i was with sears.  Cust. would fire a employee that kept the key. So i ended up drilling them out. Did 80 in 1 day.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:17:43 PM »
Turns out it was a washer and dryer. 

Washer fixed...Maytag 2 belt...full of brown stagnant nasty water...lovely.  The motor had come loose from the base and wobbled so tightend up put new belts on tightened the pump a hair and it ran great.

Dryer:  coin insert is stuck in.  I had no service key and no manager on site so am ordering keys...prop. co.  says they have half dozen or so after these so might as well get them.  If owner can find the key I will head out earlier otherwise will wait till keys come in.  It's a Maytag MDG16CSDWW and enclosed a pic of the lock box. 

Any tricks for these coin inserts stuck to pop out or will it be obvious when I open it up.  Probably some pennies stuck in it...used to run into that with arcade games :tickedoff:

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
here's the pic

Offline AdirondackBob

• Technician
    • North Country Appliance Repair
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
looks like a Greenwald coin slide. Hard to tell from my side as the picture comes up very small. If it is, when the quarters are all inserted and you start pushing the slide in, the is a metal "plate" with teeth that moves to the right to cover the slots that the quarters go through. If there is a bent quarter in there the slots will be covered and you can sometimes insert a knife or hacksaw blade to the right of any of the slots and slide that "plate" to the left and pull the coin slide back out. Wedgeman55 please help me out in explaining this! My father and I own laundromats and have done this a 1,000 times! Just hard to explain.

Top Washers and Dryers

Started by Ronyeager

Replies: 7
Views: 99
Last post June 27, 2011, 09:02:42 PM
by niobrara
Whirlpool and maytag front load washers

Started by RAH52

Replies: 9
Views: 137
Last post September 25, 2011, 08:26:50 PM
by JWWebster
Anyone own a laundry mat or coin op machines?

Started by AJ

Replies: 21
Views: 250
Last post September 13, 2012, 06:02:29 PM
by Wedgeman55
HE Topload Washers

Started by cklassen

Replies: 7
Views: 113
Last post November 08, 2012, 01:31:30 AM
by Wedgeman55
Bosch Nexxt Washers