365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Brand or Type  (Read 379 times)

Offline Rick32k

• Technician
Brand or Type
« on: August 07, 2015, 05:05:42 PM »
After working for that company with two letters that none of us like, for about five months I'm starting to realize something about this business, and I see this with the one and two truck operations around town, It seems like the guys that are most successful are the ones that work on one to three different brands of appliances exclusively or the ones that service only one type, because its too hard to keep all the parts you need in stock, and also if you work on something enough you become an expert in how it works, so a guy like me who works on a ton of vmw's will have a better chance than a guy who fixes one once a week. they say the key to success in business is doing one thing well instead of a bunch of things, what do yall think.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
Re: Brand or Type
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 06:51:38 PM »
I tend to agree with you Rick ...I service the Whirlpool family of products almost exclusively now ,w/p ,maytag ,kitchen aid ,jennair both in and out of warranty .I find because of repeat symptoms on many calls it gets easier all the time .While I can service other brands ,sometimes I feel like a duck out of water .My first call completes are pretty high too .

Offline Rick32k

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:57:54 AM »
thats how it is for me too, the company I work for now has got me doing laundry exclusively, and I get done quicker cause half the stuff are repeat problems.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 08:59:15 AM »
Company I work for works with most brands.Whirlpool, LG, Samsung, Frigidaire, Hairer, danby and a few others lol.  I work on everything, washers, dryers, dishwashers, fridges, Stand alone freezers, stoves, microwaves, disposals, cook tops, hood vents.
Limiting yourself to just one brand and one area you limit your knowledge. Yes, doing one area and one appliance you do get very quick at fixing issues but it will get boring and if you decide to move out on your own or move on to another company you are now treading water to try and stay afloat.
Yes, there are days I struggle to figure out what is going on, but most info transfers from one brand to another.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 09:06:58 AM »
I like samsung. I know their billing process is strict, but any good business would be that way. That process will allow them to stay around rather than let any servicer order any part they want to throw at a $199 microwave. Anyhow, they use quite a few universal between samsung parts which cuts way down on stock, and rarely did I see a part that was grossly overpriced (Whirly pewl can't say that.) Oh and all we serviced was samsung. I got so good in 6 months that I knew how to fix each unit I had a work order for, in the morning when I was handed them.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
The one advantage over I have over you guys is in 18 months I'll be retiring after 40 plus years in the biz . I have no need ( or desire ) to learn alot of new stuff .My brains full LOL .If I was just starting out it would be different ,knowledge is power .....do all makes and types of appliances .The money to be made is on very high end stuff .If your counting on making a living on low end cheap stuff your not going to survive .

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 09:09:01 PM »
I haven't been at it so long, but I've been doing pretty well.  Things took off for me when I got a property management contract.  They have mostly the same machines, so I can carry a good stock and do lots of 1st time completes.  It is pretty stable work. 

I get some variety through my other clients.  And an odd ball once in a while, viking, miele, whatever.

I also get some tricky installs when Best Buy's contract guys can't or won't do it.  They pay me pretty well.

I do everything, but I'm not a warranty guy.  I pick up an extended warranty once in a while when they start looking for someone local, but I am not signed up.  I'm strictly a job to job guy for those types.

I have not had too many head scratchers.  Sometimes I read the indications wrong, and, on a rare occasion, I really take a while to figure it out, but mostly I know what to do going in.  Experience and resources like this board help out a lot.

I also do other stuff.  Water heaters, some AC, wall heaters, garage door openers, and on occasion, a TV or computer.  Maybe a tool once in a while.  I've got a guy that keeps calling me for his car wash.  I don't know anything about car washes, as such, but I roll up my sleeves and figure it out.  All that type of stuff keeps me learning and flexible.  You never know when something will click.

I'm always looking out for the next step.

I've noticed that the big guys keep their techs working in only one area.  I'd agree that this creates a lot of efficiency for them, but I think that there is another reason.  If they had guys that were trained and experienced in everything, it would be easy for them to move on.  Once you have it all down, you have a lot of skills.  If you only do refers or laundry, you are limited in application and in potential.  Were I to work for the big guys, I'd want to change my specialty about every two to three years.

Is LG the brand with the least amount of problems?

Started by miller

Replies: 4
Views: 3632
Last post February 07, 2009, 06:15:22 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Best type of work?

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 2065
Last post March 19, 2010, 12:09:41 PM
by magician59
State brand Gas Hot Water Heater FYI