365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros

Author Topic: Rattling noise coming from dryer.  (Read 111 times)

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Rattling noise coming from dryer.
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »

I had gotten a call of rattling noises coming from the dryer.  Pulled the dryer bottom panel out and it felt like an old slot machine payout a big win.  The picture is just from the bottom panel.  I found more money inside the vent screen compartment.  I counted over $33 in small change total.  WooHoo!!!! :D O0

Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Rattling noise coming from dryer.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »
Nice little treasure.

At the place I use to work for (before going out on my own) I got to fix up a lot of used appliances we took in on trade or just took in to dispose of.
I would take the money I found in them and save it until there was enough to buy pizza for everyone.

The boss was and still is I'm sure a old scrooge. When he first found out I was finding money inside the old dryers he claimed being he was the owner of the place it was his money. I'm sure that was legally true, but when your 20 years old and think you found a gold mine hearing something like that kind of pops your bubble, lol..

I fixed him by saying if that's the case then I guess I won't be finding anymore. ;)

He knew what I meant by that and at that point decided that it would be ok for me to save the money I found and spend it on pizza and pop for everyone. We all ended up having free pizza several times a year for 20 years before i quit.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 02:15:18 PM »
     I was in a home about 4 years ago servicing an old whirlpool dryer.   The rollers had been badly worn and making alot of noise by time they called me.    Had at least an inch of lint in it.   So I start pulling out some of the big pieces of lint and I feel something.    Was a diamond encrusted watch.   Homeowner was amazed, and said it was his grandmothers bracelet and was lost for the last 2 years.   Further digging netted a lost diamond ring also.    Total Booty -- he said bracelet was worth 3000 and ring a couple of thousand.    I told him he made out a lot better on the service call than I did!   
     Once,  in a laundromat,  I found a 100 bill inside a big dryer cleaning out the lint.   
     Best change catcher was the old Speed Queen Dryers with the burner up in the top of machine.  Those were like slot machines when you would open them up.   You younger guys won't see any of those,  they have been gone for years.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
I remember working on a range where I had to pull the bottom drawer to disconnect the ignitor.  Once the drawer was pulled out, there was 3 - $100 bills laying on the ground.  Unfortunately, the customer was watching right behind me and scooped them up right away. 

My new policy to customers watching --  stay 15 ft away for insurance reasons.  So I can pay my insurance.  haha

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 05:49:34 PM »
Great stories, bring back a lot of memories.

I pulled out a refrigerator one time that had the condenser coils on the back. There was a envelope stuck in the condenser coils.
The customer was right there. I fished it out and handed it to him. He opened it up and it was full of $100 bills. He said that's were that went.
It was money they had been putting away for a vacation and they thought they lost it.

Also found a diamond wedding ring in a dryer once. Customer was also right there watching. I handed it to her. She had lost it years ago. Turn a claim into the insurance company and everything. Don't know what it was worth, but it looked like a large diamond to me.

I did not get a tip out of either of them two calls. :(
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »
Same here, AJ.   Found thousands of dollars worth of jewelry,  no tip either.   I couldn't have kept that,  I am not a theif.   You would think that they would give me a little something for finding that.   Oh well.

Offline zulidan4

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 06:35:49 PM »
thats why I have a wet n dry vac handi to clean all the lint, lol

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 10:12:05 PM »
Same here, AJ.   Found thousands of dollars worth of jewelry,  no tip either.   I couldn't have kept that,  I am not a theif.   You would think that they would give me a little something for finding that.   Oh well.

I do use my wet / dry vacuum to suck up everything.  Don't care what it is.  When I get home to empty it out, finders keepers.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 01:38:05 AM »
     I carry two seperate 2 1/2 gallon shopvacs.   One set up for wet,  one for dry.   That way I don't have to keep switching one.   Makes it easier.  Should have sucked that one up instead of picking out lint with my hand,  huh?  lolol

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »
A new whirlpool front load choked for a customer.  The "filter tray" just before the pump had a couple of dollars and a big chunk of change.  It also had a nail set that chewed his impeller.  that cost a bit more than I found. 

I've come across jewelry, the best was a gold baby bracelet - not worth much, but the owner was stoked - it was a family heirloom.  Lots of rings, time to time.

I never keep the stuff.  I just use it to hold down my bill. 

I've ran cleaning businesses, Hauling, and handyman businesses.  I've found some good stuff, esp. on the hauling.  Times are tough these days, people won't pay for you to take their trash.  But that's how I got into appliance repair.  People pay me to get rid of the appliance, and I'd dig in and fix it, then sell it.  Money up front, and on the back.  Nice.

Paul

MOVED: Frigidaire Dryer Tearing Clothes

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 17
Last post June 08, 2008, 07:06:58 PM
by AJ
I need a dang 4 wire thermostat fer my dryer

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 0
Views: 21
Last post October 03, 2008, 08:35:52 PM