365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Upsell your service call  (Read 691 times)

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
Upsell your service call
« on: August 19, 2012, 03:39:29 AM »
    Just looking for a little feedback.   And what you guys think about trying to upsell products or services when doing a job.   
    When I'm doing a service call on, for instance a Washer,  I'll check the hoses and mildly suggest that stainless steel would give them better piece of mind from bursting.   If they have a bubble,  then I almost always get a set of hoses added.    And usually I check the lint screen on dryer to see if any tears.   And I always look at vent to suggest either replacing or cleaning.   I always ask when dryer was serviced last to see if it may need cleaning.   
     If Im on a refrigerator,  I always ask about filter and when it was changed.    Dishwashers,  try to sell them cleaner if I can, or ask when the last time they had it cleaned.   If I'm in a kitchen,  I always eyball the stove and see if anything looks out of whack.   I sold 2 electric burners and recepticles the other day.   Was freeing a drain tube on refrigerator,  and asked how stove was working.    She said 2 of the burners didn't work all the time.   Netted me an extra 120 dollars.       
     Any other ideas on how we Techs can boost the price of our visit by upselling??  Lets help each other make more money.
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Online schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
Re: Upsell your service call
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:26:31 AM »
I always ask them if their dryer takes a long time to dry, no matter what I am there to service.  Where I am at, almost all of the vents go up the wall and out the roof or side of the house.  I get quite a few people to take me up on a discount to clean the duct in the wall since I am already there.

"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »
Great ideas.   I will use them.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:39:29 PM »
My first rule for upselling is safety!  I've come across frayed cords, bypassed lid switches, bypassed fuses, everything.  I get something like that, it gets fixed, no arguments, or pay me my service call and I'm gone w/o touching your machine.  Insurance/liability reasons. 

Next is the stainless braided hoses, stainless hose clamps, filters, burner bowls and bezels, etc.  Even new hose gaskets are good for a few dollars.  Plus, always add your consumables to the bill. caulk, grease, drill bits, wire connectors, etc.

Routine service is also good.  I work on a washer, I offer a service on the dryer.  Vacuum and lube.  This is a good way to check the drum bearings and pads, plus it helps keep the thermal fuses from burning out.  On fridges, it is vacuuming the coils, etc.  Heck, the car shops don't offer free brake inspections 'cause they don't want you to crash!

Another good thing is cleaners such as stainless steel polish, gentle abrasives, HE Detergents, stuff to clean the bellows in front loaders, stuff to remove mineral stains/build up in dishwashers.  Many people still use cheap detergent in the newer washers, not knowing that it can chew up their inner tub.  (I suspect that someday these manufacturers may begin to put zincs in the tubs, 'cause I think a lot of the spider arms giving way is due to electrolysis.)

I have been giving this a lot of thought.  Furnace filters, water heater flushing, combing the air conditioning condensers, dryer vents.  everything is an opportunity.

BUT!!!!

The big nut I want to crack is the insurance, extended warranty upsell.  I know a lot of techs here have worked as techs for sears or a&e, have been official warranty reps for whirlpool, frigidaire, or have worked for american home shield and other home ins. outlets.

What about doing that for ourselves?!  We have the experience, we have the access to parts, and I'm sure that we can get deep discounts on new appliances.  I have been thinking of adapting that model for myself. 

If I have a good coverage area, and a good client base, I think I could do this if I had the pricing model.

If you could upsell people on a warranty program, tailored to what you want to fix, and get an ongoing monthly income stream from that,  you'd be poopin in tall cotton.  You'd have to cough up for a new machine or an expensive repair once in a while (at cost), but you'd have checks coming in monthly, and if they miss a check, then they are no longer covered...too bad, soo sad.

the pricing would be the thing.  getting the price right to insure the appliances.  its the same as everybody else does, but for your local customers.

That would be the nut to crack.  I think there would be a big revenue stream from that, with little downside.

If you  collected $5 for appliance per month, for a house with 5 appliances, you'd get $150 per 6 months (25/mo).  If you had a basic repair, twice per year, you'd about break even.  How many people call you more than twice per year.  If you paid $450 to replace an appliance, that costs 18 months of program income for an appliance that will last 48-60 months of service before needing a service call.  48-60 is $240-300 @ $5/mo.  But they will also be in it for another $960-1200 for the other 4 appliances if they are in the program ($1200-1500/term).  And they would be your customer, locked in, no competition.  How many of us would offer discounts for loyal customers?

I'm not saying these numbers would work, this is all law of averages, but I think it could be very lucrative.  they could register the appliances in the program by model and serial number.  You could charge an up front entry fee and provide service to each appliance, check  it out, and deny those that are too old, or too notorious for bad quality.  Offer to start them out with a new one if it makes sense (and a larger fee/payment - think lease).

And, if it is done month to month, the fee only is coverage for the next month.  If you decided to get out, you might have a final month bulge in payouts, (if you couldn't sell off the business) but you'd be out - no lifetime guarantees.

What do people on this forum think of this idea?

Online schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:07:51 PM »
i think the extended warranty is a good idea.  I have been toying with the numbers myself.

"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 05:25:41 PM »
     Anderson, We have alot of the same Ideas.   I always look at hoses on the washer if Im working on the dryer.  I always look at coils and suggest cleaning if in kitchen on a stove or dishwasher or disposal.    I soft sell,  and don't push too hard.   But I know with some perserverance I could upsell more.   I don't ike to be too pushy. 
      The extended warranty - I have been thinking about that.   Pricing model would be the key.   For instance,  on a front load washer,   if machine such as a duet needed a bearing / drum job,   you would be liable for up to 400 in parts.     Or a motor or control or motor control board.  Or a compressor on a refrigerator.    All expensive repairs.   We know those go out all the time,  what would be a proper price plan for the warranty?    Theoretically,  you could be hit with a 1000 dollars in repair costs on one of those.    Labor would not cost us,   but parts would and it would take time out of your day that could be used for other things.    Not likely,  But..................  if you got hit with a few of those,   you could be hurt financially.   The key with Sears,  bigger companies is that they are like insurance companies.    There is strength in numbers.   That would be our problem as a smaller entity - we wouldn't have the numbers. 
      We have to figure a way to crack this problem.   Plus ---  if you get a person who is a complainer and pain in the butt,  you would have to go over there.   That would take time away from another job that you could be making money.     Just looking at the downside.   If 3 warranty calls came in in one day,   you could loose 500 in income on time lost doing warranty calls.   
      The downside problems seem to outweigh the upside.    It would look good at first,   but income stream might be negated by the lost revenue from service calls and expensive parts.     Might be a wash out,  and might not be worth the time and headache involved.       

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 09:35:58 PM »
When I was in the Coast Guard, there was an outfit (Vessel Assist) that did "water tows."  They would always leave their members floatin' until they took care of cash customers.

I didn't like it, but that was their model.  I think we'd be sure to go to paying customers first, and follow up with the plan customers asap.

Each appliance could rate a different premium, depending upon its age, reliability, and quality.  The big numbers are almost the same as the small numbers (within reason) but a Black Swan could throw you under the bus.

You would need to be disciplined on what you do with the income.  You sell the insurance at a job repair.  "If you had our guarantee plan, you wouldn't be writing this check right now!"  So you just fixed the broken thing.  Now you get money coming in on an extended basis, up front.

Save that money!

Let it pool up a bit, so that you take the hit, it comes from plan funds.

If you spend it on wine, women & song, your program won't last too long.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 09:20:24 PM »
A month & some later has anyone implimented an insurance program on appliance repair.   If so, any details, ie. customers
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
Sorry Patricio,

I'm not anywhere near established enough to try this yet.  Plus, I'm soon to be relocating my business and will need to develop and adjust to a new area.

It is something I think about, though, and hope to try after I'm on a bit firmer ground.  I expect it will take some talking to a lawyer first, amongst many other things.

Besides, you could only really have an idea how it is going after a couple of years. 

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 06:12:31 AM »
I can't figure a way to crack this.   Problem, with any insurance program,  it depends upon numbers.  Sears has a nationwide customer base where any of ours would be very small.   A small amount of extra-ordinary repairs would not bother sears, but with a smaller customer base we would be affected greatly by certain products,  such as the new whirlpool washers.    If you got 5 or 6 tranny jobs and had to eat the parts and time,  could kill profit on warranty program.   Pricing would be key.   

Do you call customers back after a completed service call?

Started by AJ

Replies: 15
Views: 318
Last post March 24, 2013, 01:36:59 AM
by Wedgeman55
Whats your most memorable service call?

Started by schaffersapplian

Replies: 11
Views: 145
Last post March 12, 2010, 10:39:00 PM
by BrntToast
MOVED: Please ,Help on Haier refrigerator Service call