365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: DISHWASHERS...  (Read 220 times)

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
DISHWASHERS...
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:41:03 PM »
I hate working on dishwashers and am nearly to the point of not running calls on them. How in the hell are you supposed to make any money on a Bosch Tyler design repair? It takes a while to diagnose, and you have to completely uninstall the blankety blank thing to get to components to test. I just don't get it. And don't get me started on manufacture warranty dishwasher calls...that a lose lose situations for sure.
Good work isn't cheap. Cheap work isn't good.
SW Oklahoma

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
Re: DISHWASHERS...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »
Tyler?!? Bosch TYPE...Bosch TYPE!
SW Oklahoma

Online LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »
I've been working on Bosch dishwashers for years so it's pretty easy for me. I can usually change the circulation motor without taking the tub off. And diagnose a heating circuit from the front panel. What kind of issues are you having?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »
It was a heater circuit failure. I found a manual online, but since this was the first one that I've done, it took a significant amount of time. I'm too embarrassed to say how long. I will tell you this, the next one that needs a heater, motor or pump will be so expensive the customer won't repair. I could have done 4 CODs for the amount of time it took to diagnose and repair this one. I just dont have time to jack with these.
SW Oklahoma

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »
I ain't never had much luck repairing them. Mostly because by the time they get to me they are real head scratchers. I used to rebuild GE sidewinders at my shop for $20 and cost of a DW105 Gemline kit.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline twayneb

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »
dentdaddy i think from reading some of your post that you are fairly new to the trade. sometimes on seeing certain products for the first time it's gonna be a little time consuming, just the nature of the beast. those same calls that may take some time will make you some money down the road. i just try not to "waste a lot of time" on items that i won't see again in a lifetime, because that knowledge gained won't ever pay off down the line. by the way i hate bosch, samsung, heck almost all newer dishwahers due to the fact you have to take them out to get to most parts, but stay with them there is money to be made off of them.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 03:16:09 AM »
     Key is M O N E Y....... If you get slow, and only calls coming in are dishwashers,  then work is work.  I agree,  first time or two on any product,   and you can almost count on having more time in it than it seems like its worth.  But.........Anytime you fix something finally,  Consider it the same as training.   I don't like the new dishwashers either, but I'll fix them to get money.   
     Had an LG the other day,  Had to remove it to fix float switch.   Now remember when it took like 2 minutes to repair one on a Kitchen aid or a whirpool or Ge??   Now, it just takes FOREVER>    Just charge more money for the labor.   And since this is the only crap their making and everyone is buying it,  you have to service it.   Plus,  if a customer finds you don't fix dishwashers and some one else does,  they will probably call them for everything instead of you the next time.     

Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline twayneb

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »
good point wedgeman about keeping the customer (if you like them). you may have to work on some things for them that you don't want but if you keep them happy long enough they will ask you what kind of appliance to purchase next time they need one and you can point them in right direction making both of you happy in the future.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 10:45:39 AM »
When I had employees we did Bosch warranties. But no one liked them and the time we spent we finally reasoned would be better spent on other calls. When I am in a home I will check to see what else they have and I am seeing too many Bosch dishwashers. I know I will get the call for a repair, but I still haven't decided if i will work on them.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 11:25:44 AM »
Last October did a 3 hour service school on Bosch, what a waste. I explain to the customer that most repairs need the removal of the dishwasher and the expense would be high.By calling a flat rate company they will save money. On other appliances my hourly rate saves them money. They completely understand and always call me back because of my honesty.

LG Dishwashers

Started by niobrara

Replies: 3
Views: 71
Last post December 12, 2011, 10:02:51 AM
by bigbuck