Author Topic: Kenmore 665 (665.16262400) - clean light blinks 7X - 'reset' does not help  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Johncanfixit

• VIP Member
I have a Kenmore Elite 665 series dish washer with the clean light blinking. It blinks 7 times. I have reset it it with the normal wash-heated dry buttons several times. After a reset it goes through some steps and I believe no light comes on at all. But when iI try to wash a load afterwards with the normal cycle the green light starts to blink each time when it is well into the cycle. The heater element shows 13 ohm. I have reseated the connections to the heater and they looked fine to begin with. I have reseated the connections to the thermistor ( temp sensor). I also reseated the strip to the control panel. The dishwasher gets water and the water  is sprayed by the arms. The door latch switches seem to be fine ( I manually moved them), but I can not check if they actually work when the door is closed. Float is not stuck open. HELP!
Any suggestions on what to do next?
Can I safely check if the heater element actually heats up?
Can I safely check if there is power to the heater element during the cycle?
Could it be the control board? Can I test the control board?
Where do I find a tech sheet online? model 665.16262400
Any suggestion or any answer would be greatly appreciated.

John

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Can I safely check if the heater element actually heats up?
I would use a clamp on amp meter.

Can I safely check if there is power to the heater element during the cycle?
Yes, try running the diagnostic cycle in the tech sheet.

Could it be the control board? Can I test the control board?
Could be the control board or the element. Take a look at the tech sheet.
Run the diagnostic cycle and see what you come up with.

Where do I find a tech sheet online? model 665.16262400
I have attached a copy of the tech sheet to this post for you.

Let us know what you find or if you have any other questions.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Johncanfixit

• VIP Member
Thanks for the help and the tech sheet. I ran the diagnostics cycle and the heater is supposed to come on in interval 9 and 1. I opened the door each time and touched the heater element. After interval 9 the element was warm, at the end of the cycle after interval 1 it was cold. I disconnected the thermistor and ran the diagnostic cycle again. That second time I did not check after interval 9 but at the end after interval 1 the element was warm. Any suggestions?

John

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
I would check that the heater is good with an ohm meter. It could even be shorted to ground. You may even put your volt meter leads on heater terminals to see that your getting proper voltage.

Offline Johncanfixit

• VIP Member
Cleaning the sump fixed the problem, EVEN THOUGH the upper rack had been getting plenty of water (or so it seemed). Thank you all so much for replying.

Offline Johncanfixit

• VIP Member
Update:
After cleaning the sump, the dishwasher worked fine for two days. Then the light started to blink again (7times) and the machine stopped working. I did a reset again. If I open-and-close the dishwasher about 15 minutes into a cycle, it will complete the cycle. That has helped with about three loads now. In the last load some pots (in the lower rack) were not really clean.
I assume opening-and-closing bypasses the thermistor somehow. So, for now I can use the machine but it is not fixed. Any advice?
Thank you for all the help.

Offline tagarman

• Technician
The light blinks 7x to tell you that the water temp. never got hot enough.  You can cancel it out and the next cycle will start but when it senses the cold water it will stop & blink again.  I find the heater is most of the time burned out or open (check with a ohm meter).  When you order the new part it will sometimes come with a new control board.  Check when you order for the right part as there is one for plastic tub and one for stainless steel tubs.  good luck!!!

Offline tagarman

• Technician
One more thing.  Check the wiring sheet.  I think you can check for a open element at the control panel by unplugging the dw and check with a ohm meter from the white wire on the door switch and white/red wire on control board that is on one of the plugs on the board.  I may not be correct on the wire colors, that is why I said check the sheet first.

Offline Johncanfixit

• VIP Member
When the problem first arose I checked the element at the contacts under the dw and it has 13 ohms, which is what it should have I believe. Can it be the controller? How can I test the controller?
Thanks

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
For intermittent no heat, I would suspect the door switch.  Especially, since opening and closing the door seems to help. The neutral switch in the door latch with the white wires only controls the heater. When the door is closed, pull the door handle slowly and listen carefully. You should hear both switches click.  If you only hear one switch click, you know the neutral switch didn't close.  Make sure your dishwasher is level and the door is closed tight.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:51:39 PM by tgoods »

Whirlpool Dishwasher GU1200XTLQ1 Dead, clean light blinks.

Started by barb

Replies: 2
Views: 7075
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:05:47 AM
by barb
runs then stops and clean light blinks

Started by greg

Replies: 3
Views: 722
Last post July 18, 2012, 05:03:30 PM
by greg
Kenmore dishwasher clean light flashes 7x, won't turn on