Author Topic: It's all in what you know  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
It's all in what you know
« on: April 30, 2008, 07:05:18 AM »
There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all mechanical things. After serving his company loyally for over 30 years, he happily retired. Several years later his company contacted him regarding a seemingly impossible problem they were having with one of their multi-million dollar machines. They had tried everything and everyone else to get the machine fixed, but to no avail. In desperation, they called on the retired engineer who had solved so many of their problems in the past.

The engineer reluctantly took the challenge. He spent a day studying the huge machine. At the end of the day he marked a small X in chalk on a particular component of the machine and proudly stated, "This is where your problem is!"

The part was replaced and the machine worked perfectly again. The company received a bill for $50,000 from the engineer for his services. They demanded an itemized accounting of his charges. The engineer responded briefly:

One chalk mark ............ $1
Knowing where to put it ..... $49,999

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: It's all in what you know
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:10:34 AM »
Good one.  :2funny:
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Penguin45

• VIP Member
    • www.ukwhitegoods.com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 04:21:04 PM »

This always makes me laugh - bit slow to load for those who are still dialling-up.

Penguin45.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 07:15:10 PM »
 :2funny:
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 07:30:23 PM »
One sunny slow day at work a guy came by and had a window unit on his truck. He goes: Dude I do not know if I want to chunk this AC.
It will not kick in, the fan would blow but the compressor would not go. I took the cover off of the compressor terminal block and found a burned common wire. I fixed the leg and fired the unit up. It came Right on and sang a beautiful cool tune. He goes wow I was gonna chunk it  but now it works fine how much do I owe you. The part I used was a compressor lug worth about 5 cents. I told him:$25!
He goes $25? Man that part you had couldn't have cost more than a dollar. I go: It ain't how much the part is . I told him I ought be charging him extra for watching.  :tickedoff: O0
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 07:32:04 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL