365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: More Business  (Read 292 times)

Offline app1

• Technician
More Business
« on: August 07, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »
I was just wondering how ALL the rest of you increase your calls. I am rather new and only advertise on Craigs List as it is FREE!!!! I am just getting going and it is expensive to advertise in the yellow pages. Just looking for some ideas to help get the calls coming in . Any suggestions from you veterans out there would be really helpful... Also , how important is the service call rate? I charge Flat Rate of  $50.00 and this covers labor! Is this good or bad!! Please Help the New guy out!!!
Thanks In advance For Suggestions!
This site is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline twayneb

• Technician
Re: More Business
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »
not sure about your market but $50 seems a little low for service call and labor. i know that when i need service on something be it an auto,electronics what have you i would not go with the cheapest it leads me to beileve that something may be lacking in their service, just a thought. as far as advertising goes maybe you could try knocking on some doors such as real estate offices,apartment complexes,heck even  other trades place of business, get out in the community let them know who you are and what you do. give em a flyer and business card see if you can get some word of mouth going.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »
I agree, cheap scares me. Put some cards on some bulletin boards. Run an ad in the classifieds selling your service and to pick up non working appliances. A lot of companies service calls are 50 or more plus labor. I charge 39.00 plus labor, but my total job is based on a flat rate price. You have to sell yourself along with service. If my customer does not see my confidence it's because their blind. Good luck. Go back and read some post under "let talk service".

Offline app1

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »
Thanks - haroldsappliance and twayneb for your suggestions. I am in an area in Hickory NC and we have about 15-20 appliance repair services and all charge more than me except one who charges $39.00 which includes all labor and he waves the $39.00 if he gets the job and is currently offering $10.00 off the total invoice for the month of August.... NOW this seems crazy and he is either real busy or really slow..I AGREE that maybe I am too low>>> Some people may think that my service is lacking as per my price!!!!
Thanks Again for the input!!!!!

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
I charge $80.00 for a service diagnostic call.  This charge includes the time to disassemble and diagnose the problem.  Once the problem is found, I give an estimate parts and labor plus the service call to repair the unit.  Example:  Whirlpool top load washer won't spin or agitate...  $80 service call + $40.00 for the part + $40.00 for the labor = $160.00.  I charge a high service call amount to weed out the cheapskates who will nickel and dime me to death.  I don't need those kinds of customers.  But if a customer asks for a discount when at the job, I usually can offer $20.00 off and they're happy with that.

I haven't advertised in about 7 years now.  All of my calls are directly driven by Angie's List.com or Yelp.com.  I never asked to advertise on them but my customers are putting their comments on how good I am.  You can advertise on Yelp for awhile to drive business your way.  It will be tough at first because you don't have any good comments yet but give it time and keep your reputation good and it will get better.  Don't sell yourself short by discounting so much.  Your skill is worth something.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline app1

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »
Thanks wildimaginations that is some GREAT advice and I will try it. I also will be raising my service call just for the reasons you stated!!
Thanks Again for the reply!!!!!!

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:22:38 AM »
More than half of my business these days is from property management companies. The only problem is you get paid at the end of the month. One company has over 800 rentals and I get a check from them for $2000- $3000.Send out letters and go introduce yourself to the owner. If you can get started with one, you can get
referrals. They like quick service and to be kept informed on the status of the job. The repairs are mostly on lower end and older appliances like basic dishwashers,coil top stoves, and top freezer refrigerators. Lotta work on coin op washer and dryers. It is surprising how many people there are that have 10 to 30 rentals that
they manage themselves. Sometime they ask me to fix other things while I am there. I also install microhoods and dishwashers for all of them. I have a tax free account at Lowes and I order what I need online, and they deliver it to my house for free. Then I bill the rentals companies. The really appreciate that I take care of the problem for them. Makes their job easier. I can see myself retiring in a few years and doing this part time for some of them as extra money.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:42:56 AM »
Lots of good advice. I also get a lot of work from a reality company in town. The owner of the reality company has rentals and a motel.
Speaking of people owning rentals one guy that calls me owns a carpet cleaning company. He has owned his company for years. Just him and one helper do all the work. He has a ton of rental properties in two states!

There is another company in town that owns apt buildings. They have there own handyman, but last winter he called me to replace a bake element in a range because he was laid up after having surgery. He gave me a lot of calls well he was laid up. Thought it would end once he got back on his feet, but I guess they liked my service as he is still calling me to do the appliance repair stuff for him.

There is one apt building in town I have never been in to do any work ever since I started here in 1988. Got a call from my friend at the reality company to go look at a refrigerator. I asked if they owned that apt building now. She said no, but the lady that manages it did not know who to call so she mentioned my name and the lady asked her to call me.

When I asked my friend from the reality company about the billing address she said just drop the bill off at the office and I will make sure she pays you.

First I thought here we go, a friend of a friend calling me. I will never get paid for this one, lol..
But the reality company has been good to me, so I did the call. Dropped the bill off the next morning at the reality office and had a check in my mail box three days later.

Come to find out the owner of the apt building that I fixed the refrigerator in and had just been in for the first time in 24 years of servicing this area lives in New York City. That's a long ways from South Dakota.

I would say the reality and rental companies in town are my best customers right now. They never question the bill and pay me ASAP. I don't even have to wait until the end of the month. I think just so I can get it fixed ASAP they are happy.

Offline app1

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »
WOW---AJ and Bailey that is some more great powerful ideas... I just need to go out and introduce myself and give them some pricing. Do you give these propertiy owners a discounted service call rate if they give you so many callos or do they pay the same rate as everyone else? Thanks Again
WHAT A GREAT FORUM!!!!!!!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:25:01 PM »
I don't give the property owners a discount. They have never asked for one and I'm not going to offer. :)
The other day I got a call to look at a coin op dryer well I was already in the building fixing a dishwasher. The property manager knew I was already there too.
I billed them out separately with a $65 service call on each one. They don't care, just so it's fixed ASAP.

Business openings

Started by Repair-man

Replies: 8
Views: 103
Last post February 24, 2009, 08:01:15 PM
by BrntToast
Connecting your business with local customers

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 101
Last post June 08, 2011, 10:27:27 PM
by theoldstoveguy
If you want to increase your business, avoid this at all cost$!!!!

Started by wildimaginations

Replies: 4
Views: 141
Last post August 02, 2011, 08:14:49 PM
by AJ
Use your forum profile to promote your appliance repair business

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 87
Last post December 06, 2011, 09:28:06 PM
by AJ
Business Web Page and Advertising Graphics