365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: parts warranty  (Read 86 times)

Offline twayneb

• Technician
parts warranty
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:58:58 PM »
quick question does anyone here offer a longer parts warranty than what manufacture offers, and if you do how is it working out? I just can't wrap my mind around how that would work unless the marketing aspect of it brings in and closes a large % of svc calls. i see some companies offering a year.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: parts warranty
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:35:04 PM »
Interesting question. Believe it or not I have never had a customer ask about parts warranty and for the four years I have been in business for myself I have never had to warranty a part I have sold.

Is this the norm or have I been getting lucky?

Offline twayneb

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:45:52 PM »
you know now that  i think about i have only had to warranty very few,and most of those were inexpensive parts and one i know was a coupler that somehow the metal insert separated from the plastic ran about a week. my reason in asking was I'm seeing other companies offering year parts warranty and wondering how that was possible i guess reading your comments AJ turned on the light bulb for me.

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
I think those companies with 1 year warranties are just playing the odds. Manufacturer warranties on parts are 90 days. I buy a few parts from ASPEN and they give a 1 year warranty on all parts. I've never had a part from ASPEN fail.

Online Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »
I've seen companies start up here that did service and sold used appliances and gave year warranties. Let me think. How many are still around?
Oh, now i remember. None!

Offline twayneb

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:05:39 PM »
yeah i would never offer a 1yr warranty on used appliances even though i see many companies advertise this as well. i think offering a year on parts is something that i might consider. i will have to think about and research a little more i think it could be a good sales tool.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 02:27:51 AM »
     I tried offering a lifetime warranty, but I would have charged more for the warranty maybe 30 percent and only on certain parts.   I had it in my ad for 1 year,   and guess how many people asked about it?..........Class?? ...............NONE.   It said "Ask about our lifetime warranty on parts".  Nobody asked.   The theory was that if you play the odds,  you probably never would have to warranty said part.   One hook I would have told them if anyone had bothered to ask  -  they had to have the original paperwork (invoice)  and "WARRANTY" certificate you would give them.    I made them up and numbered them.   Looked like a Diploma or something like that.    Again,  the odds are that in 4 or 5 years,  who would keep or be able to find the original paperwork.   But nobody even asked. Or, they would forget about it.   
      So,  I never mention the warranty unless they ask.    If they do,  I tell them warranty is 90 days,  but service call and labor is 30 days.   Now,  if they had a problem within 90 days,   I would tell them to be nice I won't charge another service call or the labor.    After all,  it wouldn't be their fault part failed.   I would just warranty it,  get another part for free,  and be done with it.    Want to keep customer happy.   
     I have little stickers made and keep them in my invoice book,   BUT only put them on the invoice when someone asks about warranty.     Now,  I can count on one hand the amount of warrantys I have given out in the last 5 or 6 years.    Almost none.   
      Some of you might want to consider the LIFETIME WARRANTY as a marketing tool to get a leg up on competition in your area.     1 year or 2 year also consideration,   but charge a premium of 20 or 30 percent for the higher warranty.   I've been considering that,   sort of like the extended warranty a new appliance store sells.     Again,  Consider the ODDS.     Good Luck
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Whirlpool to increase there Parts Warranty.G.E and Electrolux to increase part $

Started by dab147315

Replies: 0
Views: 94
Last post December 18, 2014, 12:47:53 PM
by dab147315
What brands do you service the most - warranty work?

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 101
Last post April 03, 2008, 08:59:47 PM
by BrntToast
Discussing cheaper parts and tools in our forum

Started by AJ

Replies: 29
Views: 777
Last post August 04, 2013, 03:49:47 AM
by Wedgeman55
Canada Parts?