Author Topic: Kenmore (Maytag Amana) Fridge flooding water out dispenser  (Read 1866 times)

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Reges Service and Repair
Kenmore (Maytag Amana) Fridge flooding water out dispenser
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:55:45 AM »
Model: 596.52673200

Complaint: some water came out the dispenser flapper on a Monday; fine Tuesday; had a minor flood on Wednsday.  When I went to look it's an unoccupied home with a contractor doing work to get it ready for sale.  I was there on Thursday; temperatures were all good, icemaker working properly and cubes looked good size, no freezing in icemaker fill tube, no water dripping from water dispenser or any connections.  The water valve does have a very harsh snap from the solenoid valve and has very good water pressure out the dispenser.

I wasn't exactly sure where to go next.  This is not a rush job (property mgmt co.) so told them I wanted to do a little investigating on intermittent problems.  Then found out the washer had recently overflowed and flooded doing damage.  It only happened once and has worked fine since then.  I was asking about well or city water when she said they had it winterized in Jan. and turned water back on in July (I'm in Michigan) and now these 2 flooding problems.  Could all the filters or water valves in the appliances throughout the house have possible damage?  Due to deposit's...air in line... ???

The fridge flooding is inconsistent and I would be tempted to go with a bad water valve and replace the primary and secondary to be safe.  Any thoughts, experiences or direction would sure help.  Thanks.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Kenmore (Maytag Amana) Fridge flooding water out dispenser
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:04:46 PM »
I would change all the valves on refrigerator and washer.But i would be worried about if i touch these appliances and they flood again are they going to sue me.Two appliance that flood man that would make me think if i want to touch them.I would think twice .

Offline twayneb

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »
tried to look at parts breakdown but couldn't tell where the actuator switch for water is. i would look at close for corision or stickiness at the switch seen a few maytags with that problem but not usually on the amana platform models. good luck i would definitely advise to leave water off until unit is occupied just to limit your liability after you touch it

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:04:06 PM »
sounds like some "rust flakes" in the Pipes if the water had been shut OFF and drained before it was "unoccupied"
That may clog the Appliance Water Inlet Valve at times ...
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:05:06 AM »
Thanks Folks,
I am going to meet the prop. mgr. today and go through scenarios and options.  I will take some lines off and some faucet diffusers off and see if I see any flaking.  I let ya know more when I do. :P

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »
If they turned off the water without turning off the icemaker, that could cause flooding.  The valve needs at least 20 psi to work properly.  The icemaker is still running and reducing the pressure in the plumbing. Once the pressure gets below 20 psi, the valve doesn't stop and releases the remaining pressure in the house. I've seen it.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
Home owner has decided to buy a new fridge because they are selling the house.  I am trying to negotiate my labor to put new valves in the washer and dishwasher for the fridge.  It's well worth the fix...hate to see them just give it to best buy when they bring the new one but crazier things have happened :P

Thanks for the advice though folks, I haven't run into a house that was winterized before.  Sounds like the proper procedure would be to take all diffusers off the faucets and turn off water to appliances.  Turn water back on and flush.  unhook water line from appliance run into a bucket till clear then rehook.  Any thing I'm missing.  Might be worth a new thread about winterizing from someone who has experiance with it. O0

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »
Water damage is always a high concern and is the very reason I carry a one million dollar liability ins policy. Water scares the hell out of me. Always err on the side of safety here. I do know that there is one maytag design that has two small circuit boards in the dispenser area that are know to short and flood. I could not tell if this is the same design. I know there is a change of plans here with this unit, but I would always change them valves if there's any doubt. I have put a valve on at no charge just to make dam sure. Trim pressure switch hoses, tie down drain hoses, warn the customer, etc.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 04:49:01 PM »
Update:  Picked up fridge today in exchange for service call and labor to install new valve's on dishwasher and washer.  House is on the market and owner lives in Australia and doesn't want to take any chances.  Definate take shoes off in house as the alarm keep's saying "the front door is open"...I know that babe, I opened it...thank you for not calling the police though...I'm not stealing it :)

Going to replace water valves and put into service in my basement for a month and if all good sell a very nice Stainless Steel SxS.  I would keep it but it's a little nicer than my house deserves :embarassed: ...tempting though ;)

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »
Got this fridge home and ran it...buzzing sound's at times (not good  :-\ )...cooled and ran well for a few day's then no cold :( .  Ohm'd out compressor and all good  :)  so ordered capacitor/relay thinking all would be good.  Probably bobbled a bit in the trailer  ::) .  Put new start device on and same buzz (not good  :-\ ).  Gonna relax the rest of the day and really look at it tomorrow but have a feeling the comp. is bad...could I have done that in the move?  I was careful but it did work when I took it out.  Oy, really needed a good day  :P .  No patience let alone the money lost on this trade if I messed it up :tickedoff:

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
What i learn in 38 years go doing this at the times you have a bad day or longer you will  for get about it as time goes on.Sometimes you loose a little money .But most of the time you make money or more important you no some things are beyond your control .AND AS TIMES GOES On YOU FORGET IT.Let it go.You did not do anything wrong.Its just a appliance.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 11:34:50 AM »
Thanks I needed that :) .  I do win more than I loose just get grumpy when I loose so big.  You're right though it is just an appliance.  I will make something out of it...not sure what...but something O0

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 08:42:24 AM »
Any thought's on what I should do with this fridge?  I can part out some stuff but hate to scrap out a nice looking stainless steel big SxS.  The compressor is shot though...trailer ride to the scrape yard in the near future :-\ ...

maytag fridge water dispenser

Started by rodey

Replies: 6
Views: 1557
Last post September 24, 2011, 04:12:57 PM
by rego
Kenmore refrigerator - how remove ice/water dispenser front panel

Started by Marvster

Replies: 1
Views: 22027
Last post August 11, 2007, 08:06:07 PM
by AJ
How remove Kenmore ice/water dispenser housing ??

Started by Marvster

Replies: 1
Views: 3353
Last post October 09, 2007, 07:35:32 AM
by AJ
Maytag refrigerator Ice & water dispenser HELP

Started by nash

Replies: 3
Views: 2522
Last post January 26, 2008, 03:39:27 PM
by nash
Whirlpool fridge water dispenser