Author Topic: LG WM2455HW Drum Struggles to Turn and Makes Screeching Noise - Ideas?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline fixinit

• VIP Member
Well, at least I wasn't left with a load of dirty AND wet laundry...it happened during the rinse cycle. 

I had six pillowcases in a small speed wash cycle.  I was in the next room, from where I could hear the washer filling.  After the washer filled for the rinse cycle, it made an awful screeching noise.  When I went to see, the drum was trying to rotate for the rinse, but not able to make a complete rotation.  I switched to the drain and spin cycle, leaving the laundry in the drum.  I watched after the water drained, and saw that the drum was still not rotating, and it was still making a screeching noise, although not as loud.  I took the laundry out, and let the spin cycle continue for a few minutes to remove the remaining water.  The drum finally turned on its own, but not quietly. 

I have acquired the service manual, but have not open the machine cabinet yet.  Any suggestions, ideas, tips on how to approach this? 

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
Unplug nit. Remove the belt off the rear of tub. Turn the tub pulley. May have a faulty tub bearing. The spider arm may have broken. If so the wash basket will not be centered and will come in contact with outer tub. That will make a shrubbing noise. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Rear-Drum-Support/4434ER0002A/1267517

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Sounds like the bearing is shot.  Check the bearing by grabbing the top of the drum and rocking it up and down.  If you can hear a clunking noise, the bearing is shot and needs to be replaced.  Hope this helps.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline fixinit

• VIP Member
Thanks for the replies.  I'll update when I have news.

Whirlpool makes noise at end of wash cycle

Started by brfiel

Replies: 6
Views: 3275
Last post September 22, 2007, 01:01:53 PM
by AJ
Washer makes fast tapping noise at start of spin cycle

Started by Rubik

Replies: 9
Views: 5820
Last post May 04, 2009, 09:03:24 PM
by JWWebster